“Perfect Place if You're Visiting the Bay Area”

Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Whenever I travel to the bay area, I always stay at this Hilton Garden Inn for this trip it was the Chinese New Year Parade. The location is convenient, the parking is free and I don't have to fight downtown San Francisco traffic to get to my hotel. I'm a member of the Hilton Honors program so check in/out is always a snap. Internet access is in the room which is great. The linens are fresh and plush. Plus there is a mini fridge in the room if you like to take drinks on trips like I do. I've stayed here many times and will continue in the future. Easy on/off the freeway too!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2009

We are delighted to see that our high quality amenities and convenient location have made you a loyal Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge guest! We are also thrilled to know that you will be returning to stay with us in the future. Thank you so much for taking time to let others know of your wonderful experience with our hotel! See you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

Reviewed April 27, 2009

We were attending the boat show at Jack London Square, but didn't want to stay in downtown Oakland or near the airport. I booked a room at this hotel because of the close proximity to the highway. The location was close to the Emeryville Marketplace, which has some restaurants and shops and close to the marina. The hotel was the same as most Hilton properties, but it appears to be poorly managed. After naviaging through the parking lot with ripped up concrete we parked and walked up to the front doors where we were met with two trash can overflowing with trash. But other than that for an overnight stay, it was okay. The problems came when I was paying my credit card bill the following Tuesday. There was a pending transaction for $100. I called and spoke with a manager, Victoria, to ask when would a credit be issued (since I had booked a room that was pre-paid and non-refundable and there were no additional charges to the room.) Victoria couldn't seem to wrap her 20-something mind around the fact that a credit card is not a debit card. She kept telling me that I would have to contact my financial institution. I tried to explain that this was a "credit card, not a debit card" and that until the business (Hilton) issued a credit for the transaction it would sit there. The girl was THICK! She kept repeating her speil, which cuased me to hang up. Two days later (04/23/09) the charge had not been credited. I contacted the Hilton Guest Services and they responded two days later with: "We regret we do not have access to the hotels’ billing records. We have taken the liberty to forward your concerns to the property." Today is April 27th and the charge remains on my credit card as a pending transaction. I contacted the property again and left a message for Tiffany, the General Manager, and have not received a call back. I am leaving for St. Croix on Friday and would like to have this resolved, but it doesn't appear to be a realistic expactation.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jaeare

While we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience that you have experienced, this situation is not within the hotel's control. As we discussed in our telephone conversation, each credit card company has different standards as it relates to releasing pending authorizations. The hotel has made no charges to the account. Unfortunately, the credit card company must release the $100 pending authorization. I have called as the vendor and asked them to release the hold.

Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have been a Hilton Honors member since 1990, almost 20 years! Currently I am a Gold VIP member (former Diamond VIP). The Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville is in a perfect location for exploring the San Francisco Bay Area. It is at the east end of the Bay Bridge for quick access into San Francisco. Also, it is located within minutes of attractions in Berkely and Oakland. Another great feature of this hotel is FREE parking, which is rare nowadays.

I stayed at this property when it was a Holiday Inn, and I am glad to see that it joined the Hilton family. I want to personally thank John at the Front Desk for exhibiting such professionalism and great customer service. In addition I want to thank Tiffanie Caldwell, General manager, for returning my phone calls to me, which indicates her concern in providing the utmost customer service. Keep up the great service!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank englewood49
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2009

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our warmest appreciation to you for letting others know of your outstanding experience with the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge. We are thrilled to see that our convenient location made your trip easier and that the level of customer care that you received exceeded your expectations. Return guests are the core of our business, and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you home again very soon!

Reviewed April 3, 2009

I travel 42 out of 52 weeks a year, so I spend many nights in hotels all over the world. Hilton Garden Inns are my favorite 'homes away from home', but this location is the best one at which I've been a guest in a very long time. The location was convenient to the entire San Francisco-Oakland area by car and there were even several places to shop (my favorite after-work activity) and to eat all within walking distance. The service was outstanding. The entire staff was friendly, helpful and they seemed happy to be there! I felt welcome and valued as a customer and as a person the minute I walked in the door. The rooms were immaculate and nicely decorated, the pool was refreshing, the food in the on-site restaurant was very good (try the meatball soup!), and even the laundry facilities shined! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2009

On behalf of the entire team at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge, we want you to know that we sincerely appreciate you letting others know of your wonderful experience at our hotel. Thank you for highlighting our convenient location, proximity to great shopping, and the high level of customer care that you received from our attentive staff! We look forward to having you back with us soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2009

The Hilton Garden Inn-Emeryville is overall a great place to stay in the bay area. It is located about a half hour from both downtown SF and the Napa area, and just minutes from Oakland. I-80 is right next to the hotel so transportation is simple, and there is a big shopping/dining area right across the freeway.

Appearance: The hotel is kept up well and is consistent with other Hilton properties. From what I understand it used to be a Holiday Inn but has been totally renovated. Everything felt relatively new and the outside and lobby areas were very clean.

Check-in/Staff: We reserved our room on the Hilton website and had a very speedy check-in. The front desk staff was nice and helpful. They even called our room a little later to make sure everything was ok.

The Room: We really liked the room we had. I reserved a mountain view but was upgraded for no charge to a bay view (we are Hilton Honors members so that may be the reason for the upgrade). We could see most of SF from our room, including some of the Golden Gate Bridge. All the furnishings seemed new and the room was spotless on arrival. It had all the good extras: fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hairdryer, and free internet. The water pressure was good and we always had hot water. The TV we had in the room was a flat screen, but the channel guide mentioned that it was HD...and every channel we had was blatantly standard def. I'm not sure if they're trying to pull one over on people or not. But that really is a nit-pick and didn't detract from our stay.

The Breakfast: We got free breakfast vouchers to eat at the in-hotel restaurant. It is a full hot breakfast and was fine in quality, nothing spectacular. The only downside is that you do get a server when you're seated and the only thing they do is bring you a drink and take your plates. They obviously expect a tip. We realized when we went to get food that there were drinks out there for the taking, which made the server totally useless. But it was still good and almost all free.

Summary: The Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville is a good place to stay. Its central location is great and there is a lot to do in the area. I'd definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Toebus
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2009

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge! Thank you so much for taking time to highlight our convenient location, high quality amenities, and wonderful customer service. We know how busy you are, and the fact that you took very valuable time to let other potential visitors know of your great experience with us means a lot! We'll see you on your next trip to the Bay Area!

Reviewed March 16, 2009

I spent 7 weeks on business in the Emeryville area. The service at this hotel was outstanding from the representatives behind the desk, to the restaurant staff and to the staff behind the scenes. It is clear they have many returning customers as the General Manager remembers everyone by name and greets all of us over our morning coffee. This hotel made my long weeks turn into really short weeks. I already miss all my new found friends at the Hilton.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to let others know of your wonderful experience with our hotel throughout the 7 weeks that you were here with us. Thank you for your business! Making our home feel as much like your home as possible is extremely important to us! We're thrilled to see that we achieved that goal. From our family to you: Thank you, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge.

Reviewed March 9, 2009

I have been traveling to the Oakland area every week since mid November 2008. I cannot say enough about the Hilton Garden Inn at Emeryville. The entire staff is generous with their time and dedication to making my stays perfect. I value the fact that their hard work provides me a stay that makes me feel like I am home. The food, whether at the restaurant or room service, is always delicious. The General Manager, Tiffanie Caldwell, has taken valuable time to check on my stays and to provide me with excellent service and support. In the four and a half years I have been traveling for work, I can attest that this is the best customer service I have ever received.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2009

We are extremely pleased to hear that our high level of customer care has consistently exceeded your expectations! There is nothing more important to our business than YOU, our valuable return guests. Thank you so much for taking time to let others know of your amazing experiences with our hotel. We look forward to continuing to serve you on all of your future stays!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Oakland Marriott City Center

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!