“Great Staff and Great Accommodations”

Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Houston
“Great Staff and Great Accommodations”
Reviewed November 13, 2008

As a business traveler who spends several nights a week in hotels, it was nice to "find" this hotel! The rooms, restaurant, and especially the staff (Tiffanie, you rock!) are wonderful! The locate is very nice as well.
In closing I would also like to personally thank Tiffanie for her professionalism and assistance during my last stay! I was traveling with my wife and during our visit, she caught a very nasty cold. Tiffanie (the GM) personally deliveried oatmeal and fruit to our room so my wife would not have to get out of bed and "be seen in public" Thanks

Stayed November 2008
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 17, 2008
Thank you so much for letting others know of your wonderful experience with us. We are extremely pleased that we could be of service to you and your wife. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, we pride ourselves on the personalized service that we deliver to every guest, everyday! We are thrilled to know that you will be returning to our hotel for all of your future stays. We look forward to having you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Undisclosed
Reviewed November 8, 2008

The hotel is nice and clean, and throughout my (long) stay I have found all of the positive reviews on this site to be generally true. The Oakland HGI is exactly what you'd expect from a standard Hilton Garden Inn (right in the middle of the quality spectrum between Hilton/Conrad and Hampton Inn). Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the front desk staff is very friendly and helpful.

The one thing that sticks out as a weakness at this hotel is its Great American Grill (on-site restaurant), specifically their breakfast service. The food on the buffet is decent (although the $15 price tag seems like a rip off), and the servers are generally very friendly, but I left the restaurant each morning in a bad mood and not at all happy with my experience. The problem is that the restaurant is run in such an inefficient manner. There seems to be plenty of waitresses, and the place is never that crowded, but once you are seated you feel absolutely invisible.

When the host/hostess seats you, they will generally ask if you'd like anything to drink. I think this is just a rhetorical question, and they have no intention of actually fulfilling your request. Most beverages are available at the buffet, so I got in the habit of just getting my own drink and helping myself to the buffet before being approached by a waitress. However, water was not available at the buffet, and my friends and I started placing bets on how long it would take for us to get a glass of ice water (one friend won $50 from us b/c he bet that we would finish our meals without ever being asked if we needed anything). I would say it was an average of 5-10 minutes before anyone would come over and ask if we needed anything, and then another 5-10 minutes before we actually got it. Add to this the 5-10 minutes it takes to get the bill (after you flag someone down to ask for it), and the 5-10 minutes it takes to get your change; you've just spent 45 minutes on what you had hoped to be a quick breakfast before heading out.

One day we were standing at the host stand and someone came by and said "go ahead and seat yourself". We did, and helped ourselves to the buffet. After 30 minutes (and finishing our meal), nobody had come by, so we left the appropriate amount of cash on the table and left without ever speaking with a Hilton employee!

I would like to emphasize that this review is not based on a single experience. I have spent over 10 nights (not consecutive) at this HGI and have definitely noticed a pattern. I have also heard other guests talking about similar complaints; "I asked for some more napkins 10 minutes ago, where are they?!"

As I mentioned before, the restaurant staff has been perfectly friendly, and it doesn't really seem like they are the source of the problem. It seems that the HGI needs to improve the logistics of this restaurant in regards to which server is assigned to which table and what level of service is expected. I am by no means a restaurateur, so I have no idea what needs to be done to fix this problem (sorry!).

The new general manager has been very visible in the restaurant in the morning. I think it is great that she takes the time to greet the hotel's guests, but I think that some efforts need to be focused on the behind-the-scenes operations.

After typing this review it almost feels asinine to be complaining about the breakfast service at what is otherwise a very nice hotel. All I can say is that it was THAT bad that after many nights in this hotel, that is the one issue that sticks out most in my mind.

• Stayed November 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
We want to take this opportunity to thank you for providing feedback concerning your experience in our restaurant. As someone who stays with us frequently, your opinion is of critical importance to our team! We sincerely apologize for what you feel is a lack of organization in the restaurant. We are working extremely hard to ensure that our systems are effective and that our guests are greeted and served in a timely manner. I apologize if this has not been the case to this point. Rest assured, we will continue to work hard on this issue. Again, thank you so much for your feedback, and we sincerely appreciate you staying with us.
California
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Hilton Garden Inn Emeryville, has been the best choice for me and my colleagues for the several nights we have stayed near San Francisco. The staff surpasses copacetic enviornments of other hotels by showing outstanding courteousness towards their guests. I admiringly recommend this hotel for anyone planning to visit San Francisco, Oakland or San Leandro; not only for the cost to stay, but the over all friendly enviornment. Oh yea, cookies at 5:00pm PST!.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 7, 2008
We are extremely pleased to hear that the high quality amenities and attentive, friendly staff at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge exceeded your expectations. We also want to thank you for taking valuable time to let others know of your experience. We pride ourselves on making you feel like you are a part of our family, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Sacramento
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I have been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville for 2-3 nights per week for the past 4 months for business, and what a fantastic experience it has been! From day one the staff was very helpful and friendly, going out of their way to satisfy any need that I might have and creating a very warm and unmatched personalized experience. It makes you feel good when the employees greet you at the front desk by name after a long trip from home. The rooms are immaculate and the overall appearance of the facility is top notch! The hot tub and work out facilities are definite winners! I also stongly recommend the breakfast at The American Grill in the lobby. The General Manager is very visible throughout the day and frequently checks in to make sure we are taken care of, making the experience that much more unique and enjoyable. Wonderful overall experience coming from a frequent business traveler. Strongly recommended!

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much for taking time to recognize the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We sincerely appreciate you letting others know of your exceptional experience. We are extremely proud of our hotel and our service. It was a pleasure to have served you, and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back for future stays.
Bakersfield, CA
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I stayed two nights in mid September, and got a good value via Priceline. I wanted to visit the City, Berkeley, and Fremont. This location was very convenient for me. I had called earlier to confirm and to request a king bed, upper floor, and non feather bedding. These requests are also on my Hilton HHonors profile. The check in was quick and pleasant. My room had a king bed, high up, facing east toward the freeway and the Bay Street shopping center. With the h/ac unit on, I did not notice traffic noise. Unfortunately, it took three phone calls and eight hours later (1 am) before a blanket and foam pillows made it to my room.

TIP: If you like Chinese dim sum for lunch, there is a Chinese restaurant - Hong Kong Seafood - just down the street from the hotel. You just follow Powell Street until it ends at the bay. The dining room overlooks the bay. A great view with good food. Yummm! I got to eat good dim sum without the noon traffic and searching for a parking space in the SF/Oakland Chinatowns.

NEGATIVE: The hotel is located at the big traffic bottleneck, where the eastbay freeways converge into the approach for the Bay Bridge. Be aware traffic is bumber to bumber from 3:30-7 PM! It did easy up after 7 and I easily made an 8 PM curtain! (It was a Thursday night, however!) Using my AAA map, I was able to use surface streets to return to the Hilton, during rush hour.

This hotel was a great value via Priceline and I will stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — down pillows and quilt
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 4, 2008
Thank you so much for taking time to let others know of your wonderful experience with the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge. I am glad to hear that the hotel's staff and amenities exceeded your expectations. I have made note of the fact that it took too long to receive extra pillows and blankets, and we will address that issue immediately. Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
scotland
Reviewed July 27, 2008

This hotel was perfect for what we wanted!
Lobby was clean and smart and the desk staff kind and helpful. Much appreciated the free bottles of water on arrival.
Had bay view room which was lovely - view is good on the days without the fog! Room large, clean and in good repair with adjustable climate control. Fab flat screen TV. Beds were soooo comfortable. Bathroom really clean, great shower and really nice neutrogena toiletries provided. Despite being right next to elevators we had virtually no noise.
Coffee provided in the lobby in mornings and cookies in the afternoon - nice touch.
Small shop is very handy, business centre seemed good - but only used for online check in! Too lazy to use fitness centre but looked adequate!
Only had breakfast in hotel once but really nice buffet and a la carte options.
Location was perfect for us - visiting family half a mile walk away and very easy to get taxi or emerygoround/bart into city or airport. I think the hotel provides its own shuttle bus to the nearby shopping centres but never used it.
Starbucks/Jamba juice 5 mins walk away and good selection of shops and restaurants at Bay Street only 10 mins walk.
Plenty of parking - don't know charges etc as never had a car.

• Liked — Spotless, very comfortable hotel with friently, helpful staff - totally unpretentious!
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ScottishCowgirl
We are extremely pleased to hear that the high quality amenities and attentive, welcoming staff at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge exceeded your expectations. We also want to thank you for taking valuable time to let others know of your experience. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.
Calexico, ca
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Very nice clean hotel, safe area, good shopping location and good for family.

• Liked — very clean
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank johnnycat
We appreciate you taking time to let others know of your wonderful experience with the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I am pleased to hear that our convenient location served you well. We sincerely look forward to having you back for future visits to San Francisco, Berkeley, or Oakland.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Inn at Temescal
Inn at Temescal
#8 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!