“Great Hotel potential” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Memphis,TN
“Great Hotel potential”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice clean rooms with superb service. It lacks the Hilton's (corporate) missed oversight on the renovation project. It looked new but like a patch job . Outdated bed size (full) despite having plenty of space .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Julie2000, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I can understand your frustration with the beds. Although the beds were not part of the renovation, they are on our capital list for this year along with other improvements. We continue to improve the property every year to ensure we stay current and the property looks fresh.

Thank you for your comments and your business. We appreciate both.

Sal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is the first time I have recommended a specific hotel in a large chain, but this one is exceptional. It is located at the end of the bridge less than a block from the freeway exit, and rooms on one side have great views of the bay, the bridge and San Francisco itself in the distance. The free amenities include WiFi, an Exercise Room, A Business Center and round-the-clock coffee in the lobby. The rooms are large with a desk, easy chair with ottoman, a large TV, a refrigerator, and a microwave with frozen dinners purchasable in the lobby. Buffet breakfast, which are inexpensive when included with the room reservation, are inexpensive and unusually complete. Furthermore the room price is considerably less than the other large chain hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear ASObe, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We are so happy to hear we exceeded your expectations enough for you to go on line and tell the world about it. This is a great property with a great location and views. I hope your travels brings you back to the area.

Montebello, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

This place was great! No need to go through third party! Made my reservations went in and bam quick and easy! The Manager Jessica made it comfortable she greeted us made it easy and provided awesome customer service! The rooms were clean cozy and worth every penny (which was very reasonable especially since it was Valentines weekend)

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Jazz 437, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. It is great to hear that Jessica took great care of you during your visit. Our managers and team members care about your comfort and will do everything they can to ensure your staff is satisfactory.

Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was very pleased with how warm and inviting the front desk people were when me and my co-workers came and went through the hotel. I was here last week on business in Emeryville and the location of the hotel to where we were working couldn't have been better. My room was well furnished, clean, and comfortable. All in all this was a very good business friendly hotel. If I'm in the Emeryville area again I will certainly consider staying at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kurt H, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We do have very friendly and efficent team members at the hotel. In addition, we just completed our renovation and the property looks great.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Amazing Front Desk Team *Five stars for the front desk team*
Two reasons I always choose this hotel are the amazing staff and location.
Have you met Jessica, Sheena or Monai? Well, you need to.
If you're lucky enough they'll be on duty to greet you when you arrive.
Somehow they just make you feel like you are visiting old friends.
They smile because they seem really happy to see you and want you to enjoy your stay.

Problems Encountered
Booked one night and added the full week that evening over the phone.
Next day our keys weren't working so we headed downstairs.
That's where we met Jessica.
Yeah, she's pretty awesome and so is the entire night crew.
You know right away why Jessica is the night manager.
She's got the perfect mix of professionalism and personality.
First time I met her and she made me feel like we've known each other for years.
Came down for new keys and mentioned we were told we would have to move mid-week.
Immediately she apologized for the inconvenience and said no we're not going to make you do that I'll fix it.
She was working the system and shifting around until she was able to correct the problem.
Jessica and Monai were personable and funny and kept us entertained as Jessica fixed the problem.
It did take a while and Jessica made up for it with breakfast coupons which was a nice touch.
We didn't even request any compensation.
We saw them every night and they always greeted us the entire team does as you walk through the lobby.
In all the hotels I stay at for work I have never encountered such a welcoming group of folks.
This staff is the number one reason I choose this hotel.
They have a can-do attitude and really seem to like they job.
Had another problem just before check out.
TV reflected a different rate than our reservation. Left voice mail for Jessica.
She called as soon as she got in and took the information and said she would handle it.
She never says no, you just feel taken care of when she's in control.

A few things about the room and the location.
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good *Four Stars*
Good location. Right off the highway to the bridge into San Francisco. Or take the highway in the opposite direction and head to Berkeley or Napa.

Many dining choices within walking distance or short drive.

Coffee is always available in the lobby. Cookies around 4pm : )

Hotel just upgraded. Pantry for quick snacks open late.

Nice seating area with a fireplace in the lobby.

Clean bed with dial mattress. Mine did not work. Changed it from lowest to highest setting but it never got softer or firmer it just stayed firm the entire time. I slept comfortably though because I prefer a firm mattress.

There is a refrigerator a microwave and a coffee maker in the room.

LG flat screen with cable and HD.

Free internet. Yes, free.

Laundry room on site in case you need to run a quick wash.

The Bad *Three Stars*

Bathroom shower head is original and not upgraded. A hand held shower head would be nice with the reno.

Windows very old and very drafty. Savings of heating alone over one year would probably offset the cost of new windows. You cannot sit at the desk without feeling the cold draft on your back and your feet even when you run the heat. The desk area is a good 5-10 degrees colder than the rest of the room. Suggest having management work from one of the desks in the rooms for a few hours to see how it feels so they will understand and consider how big of a deal this really is.

Beware bathroom walls they are very thin. On a few nights I could clearly hear the conversation and every word taking place either next door or above or below me while in the bathroom the voices carried through the vents. Suggestion is to keep your bathroom door closed all the way to avoid broadcasting your conversations.

Desk not ergonomic and too high for comfortable seating unless you are 6'0" or taller any shorter and you won't be able to type for long without developing strain. Comfortable office chair.

The elevators seem to be a constant problem. The middle elevator did not work the entire week. Another time we had to wait 15 minutes because the service staff blocked the elevator to bring a sof people up the to the 14th floor. Every time we're here there always seems to be at least one elevator out.

You have to pay $15.00 for parking. I can really only accept this in New York or Chicago. Anywhere else it feels like nickle and diming. This is a huge lot and guests should not have to pay. Tip There is a police station up the road on Powell across from the apartment complex. If you really need to save cash just park on the street by the police station and walk back but watch for street sweeping I think it's the second Tuesday or Thursday every month just look for the sign. It's less than a five minute walk.

The Ugly
Ok, so not to get anyone in trouble but there was a daily annoyance from our housekeeper. She was really nice but three things she did every morning that kind of drove us crazy. Every time she was cleaning the bathroom in the rooms next to us and across the hall she would slam the toilet seat and toilet cover down pretty hard so you would hear this loud boom boom then you knew she was almost done with that bathroom. Heard this twice in each bathroom x four rooms every morning and it was not pleasant. Suggest asking team to close the seat and cover gently like you would at home not slam them down. Second and maybe it's petty but same housekeeper would pull the room door and slam it shut when exiting every single time. There is no need because these doors close on their own just hold the doorknob and the door will close gently. Finally she would greet people, hello, good morning, clean your room now, ok have a nice day, but she would shout this down the hall even to us. She was by the elevators we were at the other end. Just out of consideration for others on the floor that may still be sleeping, maybe wait until the folks are within 10 feet of you before shouting pleasantries down the hall. Note that our last two days she was off and there was a different housekeeper and we didn't hear any of the above, no, we didn't, but we did have the pleasure of that classic annoyance, the dreaded tap tap tap with the room card on the door. The other housekeeper gave that irritating tap tap tap with the room key and saying "housekeeping." Yeah, I thought hotels stopped doing that seeing how so many people complained about it. So, do I take the booming and slamming or the tap, tap tap that's just as annoying? I don't know..Hopefully you can solve this problem like many other hotels have by simply getting knob cards that say do not disturb on one side and service please on the other so the housekeeper doesn't have to tap on every door while announcing themselves because guess what? We all hear that as you make your way down the hall and it gets more annoying the closer you get to our room. Ok, rant over ; )

Room Tip: See Parking Tip in Review. Save $15.00 parking fee by parking on Powell by the police station and wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank CTR208
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear CTR, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I really appreciate the detailed critique that you send us. I printed your comments and weill review them with the management team and look for solutions. You brough up a lot of good ideas and things I have never heard before. So I do appreciate it and we will address them.

We appreciate your business and hope you return soon. Please stop by and ask for me as I would like to meet you and pick your brain. It sounds like you travel alot and I would like to hear about things you have experienced else where that we could do here.

Baltimore, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Friendly, fast and efficient. Convenient location with access both to Oakland and San Francisco. What more can you ask. I will use this hotel whenever I am in the area. Pric was reasonable. The review must have 200 character minimum.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank William T
Dear William T, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We do have a great location and it is convenient to everything. Out staff is friendly, fast and caring.

Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

This review is long overdue. I have stayed here many times over the years both with the previous owners (may have been corporate run back then, not sure) and several times since the franchise owner took over I think sometime last year. This review is for my stay during the 2013 Thanksgiving week, which you may have already read about. Yes, the construction was awful, yes there was confusion about where to go, how to get in and how to find the registration desk, but once you did find the registration desk you were greeting by a fantastic staff (albeit practically frozen as they were wearing full coats and not even given a space heater.) It was colder in the gym where the staff were working all day and night than it was outside (not an exaggeration.) FIRST STAFF INTERACTION WITH MONAI: Oh Monai, you saved the day! What a pleasure she was even with being half frozen she kept a smile, profusely apologized for the construction, got us in and out quickly and for the rest of our stay helped with recommendations for local eats/stores. We'd return late in the evenings and there she was with that great, welcoming smile. She would always ask if we had a good day and was genuinely interested in making sure we had everything we needed despite the construction. We always felt so welcomed by Monai and we'd stop by and keep saying, why doesn't this owner give you guys a space heater or at least a darn cup of hot cocoa or something (meanwhile, he seemed pretty comfy cozy in his warm office.) The noise was unbearable - you had the guy that didn't know how to drive a forklift in reverse for 15 minutes at a clip right under your window so we all got to hear the repetitive beeping on a loop. The construction teams started just before 8am so forget about sleeping in. We were facing the bay, which at any other time is quite pleasant. By day three of no sleep we just couldn't take it anymore and asked to be moved. SECOND STAFF INTERACTION WITH SHEENA: Wow! Sheena was the manager on duty who unfortunately had to take my very frustrated call. Half awake at 8am, I literally begged her to please move us away from the noise. After speaking with others, I later realized that Sheena had to take many similar calls and complaints from others as well, but she handled each like a pro and with an understanding tone and smile and was very apologetic. I would not have wanted her job during the construction. Not ten minutes later Sheena came upstairs to our room, suggested we move across the hall and had a key in hand to show us and make sure it was acceptable. It was and we were extremely grateful. I just kept apologizing for my frustration and thanking her for all her help. Sheena truly understood and was extremely accommodating. The mountain side really wasn't bad at all. We only heard a slight humming from the cars, which you don't hear after a while. If you are really sensitive, there are earplugs next to the bed.
STAFF: The staff here is just incredible. They are the type of staff you want to steal away to work at your company. After staying a week, I still never saw the owner leave his office to greet or thank any of his guests, but his staff sure did. Monai and Sheena were always visible and just a phone call away. The remainder of our stay on the mountain side was great. The room change completely made up for the bumpy start. There is a Keurig coffee machine in the room if you don't want to head downstairs to get a cup and there is also a mini fridge and microwave (used both.) A Trader Joe's is across I-80 (ten minute walk) if you want to get some snacks and just pop them in the fridge. There is also an Emery Go Round shuttle behind the hotel at The Towers office complex, which takes you to either the Trader Joe's shopping plaza, The Bay Street Shops or MacArthur Bart (Bay Area Rapid Transit - the metro system in the East Bay.) There is also a Peet's Coffee (the Starbucks' competitor in the Bay Area) across from Chevy's behind the hotel if you want a specialty coffee or cocoa. All in all, you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative in the East Bay area. You are right off the highway, within minutes of various parks and running and biking trails along the water and just minutes from the Bart station to head into the city and explore. Excellent choice and always my first choice when I need a place to stay locally. Thank you Monai and Sheena.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ZTRVLR
Dear ZTRVLR, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I know renovations are hard both for the guest as well as our team members. We tried to do everything we could keeping them as the priority as to why we were doing things. I am sorry I didn't get to meet you. I am the general manager and I try to meet as many guest as I can, but during the renovation I spent a lot of time on the floors ensuring things were being done to specifications. Next time, please just ask one our team members you like to see me and I will call you immediately.

Again, we appreciate you going through our renovation storm, but it is now over. The property looks great and you need to come back and enjoy it. We are still remoderizing our elevators which is a long process, but we are moving along well.

We know you have many choices and we are glad you chose us. My direct line is 510-658-8127 if you would like to speak with me or discuss this further.

Thank you.

Sal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,172 reviews
Inn at Temescal
Inn at Temescal
#9 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!