“Good stay but not the best value for the money...”

Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just stayed here last night to participate in a run in San Francisco. We typically would stay at a hotel near SFO, but stayed here as friends had already made reservations here. The hotel was nice and we would recommend it if you want to visit Oakland or Berkeley. However for a trip mainly to visit San Francisco, staying near the San Francisco airport is a better value. There is a $15 per night parking fee here and there isn't a complimentary breakfast. For the same price, we could have free parking and breakfast near the airport. Additionally, there is the $5 toll for the Oakland Bay Bridge. Our three visits across added $15, but even more of a concern was the 25 minutes it took to get across during a peak period. The hotel room itself was nice although a bit noisy. I have to commend the hotel though for being proactive and leaving earplugs. Many hotels are just as noisy and don't do this. Staff at this hotel were very nice and helpful. In fact, one even walked us outside this morning to make sure we knew how to get on the Bay Bridge. Again, we had a very nice stay, but it wasn't necessarily the best value.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor and it was still a bit noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear M_GO_BLUE_A2, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Comparing us to a property near SFO is completely a different area and location. Properties from SFO need to fight the traffic to get to downtown SF. So it all depends what you are looking for or willing to deal with.

Something to remember for next time, we have the Emeryville Go Around which is free and it does take you to the BART station. This might be another alternative.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Enjoyed staying here. Very convienant for getting on and off interstate. If you have the money to stay in SF, great. If you want to save alittle and have a car, this hotel is great for its location. You will have a slower driver, due to crossing Bay Bridge, but it was not bad. Research the local transportation and you will find things available to get you into SF, just have to research and find what route and source you want to use. We had a car and drove right in and parked in the Union Square garage. Great location and easy in and out. Burgers and fries here at the Hilton are really good, that is the only meal we had here. Outside hottub very nice to sooth the achy feet and legs after walking SF all day.

Room Tip: higher up may have less noise, have to remember you are sitting right by the interstate intersection...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear grass widow 85, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We can see you are an experienced travelor. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back real soon.

Don't forget we have free internet to help you with those searches.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I found a better price on the hotel website that I booked via Expedia, however, it was after we arrived at the hotel. They would not honor the lower price, but offered breakfast voucher. Overall, very good experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear A Trip Advisor Member, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Pricing for a hotel is a lot like airlines. They vary until the actual day. Prices can go up or down depending on if they are selling or not. Waiting for the last minute can have different outcomes. Booking early can guarentee you a room and in some cases a location or type of a room. Waiting till the last minute, you might not get in and you will not get a preference on room type or location.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The HH hotel is a good value and good location for accessing the East Bay (Oakland, Berkley) and San Francisco. Rooms are decent and clean, if small. But the hotel could be more professional, more tidy.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Michael A, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I appreciate your comments. We have reviewed it with our management team and we will improve in this area.

Great comments are appreciated.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My family reunion was held at the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville CA. We booked rooms and reserved their banquet hall. The total amount spent at this hotel was over 10k. We did not receive the hospitality suite when promised. We were given a check out time of noon. When returning to the hospitality suite at 9:30 am the maid had cleaned the room. Threw out all the food in there. She then helped herself to the non perishable items. Basically stealing our stuff. When confronted she said no one told her. The personal belongings in there we not sufficient enough. Our banquet dinner was no better. We were charged a 20% tip on the room, wait staff, and bartender. I've never heard of tipping for a room. The staff and bar tender are understandable. The staff never provided the iced tea we were promised with our meal. We asked numerous times. Their response was it's not on their order. We produced an email from their coordinator and still never received it. The bartender left 1/2 through our banquet. He was replaced by a waiter that had no idea how to make mixed beverages. When asking for a supervisor we were advised 3 times someone would call us. We never got the call. I did a formal complaint with their corporate office and was advised in writing that 908.84 of the money spent would be refunded with in 5-7 business days. The date passed and I again had to call the corporate office. They referred me back to the same incompetent staff in Emeryville. After playing phone tag with their Manager Sheena, I was advised they were only returning 222.88. That is a huge discrepancy from what I had previously been told in writing. Her response was "I don't know why your talking to me, corporate promised that amount you need to call them. Called corporate again, only to be told I'd have to speak with accounting. The account was out of office until 8/2/13. By now I'm very upset. No one at this company wants to be held accountable. I called corporate again, and advised them that working with the hotel in Emeryville is not getting me anywhere. I was then advised that the 908.84 was a typo. Really???? I even received another email with the same information by a total different corporate agent. I was also advised they are a liaison between the Hotel and customer. Silly me to think corporate meant the top of the chain. I've disputed the charges with my bank. I'm sure this will be taken further. My advise is save your money. The amenities are comparable to price, however the entire company lacks professionalism and customer contact experience.
I truly thought this was an isolated event. I've stayed at other locations for the Hilton Garden Inn. Guess I was lucky those times. I'm going to advise every one I know to avoid this place. Take your money where it is appreciated.

3  Thank Mindy D
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

August 6, 2013
Dear Mindy D, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We are dissappointed that we fell short of your expectations. We pride ourselves in our service and we will honor our guarentee when we fall short. We were more than fair when we refunded you the amount of the room. The guest assistant for Hilton that you spoke with, made an error on quoting you the amount she did. I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you. You can reach me at 510-658-9300.

We appreciate your business and look forward to your call.

2  Thank Mindy D

We appreciate your business and look forward to your call.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had a great stay! The service was excellent and the staff was very attentive. They went out o their way to make sure our event went smoothly. The sleeping rooms were clean and fresh smelling and the bright. The Garden sleep system bed was incredible and the lines were soft and smooth. The bathrooms were also clean. Overall the hotel is well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Anita H, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We are glad to hear you had a great time. Hope to see you back real soon.

Sal

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!