“Nice bed, ok location.”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Nice bed, ok location.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've spent a week here at the hotel, and while it's clean and the bed is comfortable, I'm not impressed.

I like Hilton Garden Inn's because of the adjustable bed. Other than that this is just another hotel. My room looks east toward the freeway, and because of that I get a lot of freeway noise. There's no closet in the room. Instead there's an armoire that is built a bit strange.

I'm here on a business project with the room paid for for 10 days. This morning, on the 8th day, I had a bill under my door showing I was checking out. When I inquired about it at 6:45am I was told to call back after 8am to talk to the manager. I had to go to work without knowing if my belongings would be stuffed in my suitcase when I got back. It was sorted out, but without good customer service.

Room Tip: Get a room facing west away from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. One of our best features is our location. We are just over the bridge to downtown SF, we are minutes from downtown Oakland and in the other direction a few minutes from Berkeley. Now you do have to keep an eye on the freeways, because from our hotel you can go North, South or East and timing and planning are required so you are on the correct lane. The property has all the great amenities that all the other HGI have and more. Our location right on the bay allows for a great walking trails right next to the water. At the end there is the Emeryville Pier which has a park and additional dining options. Accross the freeway we have dining, a mall and movie thearters.

Next time at the property stop by the front desk and ask what other great things to do in the area there is.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon.

Sal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My daughter and I checked in at 5pm on 12/29/12 after a long and rainy drive from Southern CA. There were 2 security guys outside the front door talking. There were 2 clerks at the front desk, and one clerk was helping a single male guest when I walked up. In the middle of my check-in my clerk took a phone call. I listened as the other clerk told the male guest about the Fitness Center, the wi-fi, and that lasagne was being served at one of the restaurants, and breakfast options for the next morning. When my clerk returned from answering the phone I told her I had booked through Expedia and had noted that we wanted a bay side room. She checked and said they were all sold out. At the end of our transaction I was told to look on the back of the folder that holds the key cards for the services the hotel offered. There were no other guests waiting, and I thought she could have been more welcoming. I saw such a lack of consistency in her treatment of me and the other clerk's warmth toward her guest. After we located our room near the elevators and had unpacked we received a phone call asking if our room was satisfactory. I, wanting to rest, replied that things were fine. I probably should have gotten up the energy to complain about the service. It turned out that the traffic noise in our room was loud but monotone enough that it didn't keep us from a good sleep--maybe we were just too tired from our long drive. The location is good, but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appologized for service we failed to give you while at the hotel. We work hard at being consistant with all our guest as they are all very important to us. We will work with these team members and retrain them in customer service.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back.

Please stop by and see me on your next visit.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This seemed like your typical Hilton Garden Inn as far as rooms go. The staff was very friendly and spoke to you on your way in and out. One thing this did have that other HGI's I have been to didn't was an appetizer/cocktail hour. Although I didn't go, I did see a few people having some drinks and appetizers when I left. Parking is not free which is kind of a bummer. There is not much around there that I would think they would need to charge for parking, however I guess just being so close to SF they can do it.

Speaking of....one thing I loved about this hotel was the location. It was an easy 10 minute drive into San Francisco. I also enjoy running and there is a path that goes right by the hotel that I could get a good 7 mile run in right on the edge of the water (for a good portion of the run).

All in all I would probably stay at this hotel again in the future!

Room Tip: Get a higher room to block out the city noise (duh!)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for having the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appreciate your business and your comments.

Hope to see you back real soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn TURNED OVER THE REIGNS to a Private Security firm that HARASSED PAYING GUESTS, including myself, a Gold - soon to be Diamond - HiltonHonors member during the week leading up to and into Christmas week 2012 The security firm turned what should have been and enjoyable holiday work week and visit into an UNCOMFORTABLE STAY.

PAYING HOTEL PATRONS were CONSTANTLY BEING WATCHED and TREATED LIKE CRIMINALS just for walking through the lobby by this outside private security company. I regularly saw the outside security team walk into the breakfast area and grab danishes and food with bare hands without paying. The security team seemed to act like they owned the place treating guests as criminals every time they walked through the lobby WITHOUT ANY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FROM REGULAR HILTON HOTEL STAFF. I have stayed here for the last 4 months almost every week and have never been treated so bad.

Hotel staff was allowing this security firm to run wild over the property providing no information or reassurance to the paying regular patrons. The most egregious mistake made by hotel staff and something I think will make me -- after 4 months of staying here and becoming a Diamond member mainly at this hotel -- never stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Emeryville, again, is that the the security firm approached me during breakfast on Christmas Eve morning in the busy restaurant. They harassed and accused me of activity of me using my phone that they did not like. There were two women who identified them as managers at the Hilton Garden Inn, and a gentleman insinuating he was Hilton Security and basically ruined mood for the rest of the holiday eve. Fortunately for me, I had been staying there for the last 4 months, and I knew that the women were not Hilton managers, which I confirmed the next day with the front desk.

The women were IMPERSONATING HILTON GARDEN INN STAFF MANAGERS, and that the security was an outside company. A quick search of the internet a few days earlier confirmed to me the reason for the security and all the additional people being escorted into the hotel - I had the reason that they were in the building, so I was not alarmed. However, I was embarrassed by the way I was treated in the middle of the restaurant and how the Hilton Garden Inn staff and MANAGEMENT SEEMED TO ALLOW THIS FIRM TO DO WHATEVER THE PLEASED at the EXPENSE OF THEIR REGULAR LONGTIME BUSINESS PATRONS.

After this incident in the restaurant, I myself WORRIED ABOUT MY PERSONAL PRIVACY and WORRIED ABOUT MY WORK RELATED PRIVACY IN MY OWN ROOM, wondering what other acts the Hilton Garden Inn staff would allow this private firm to do to paying customers.

At this point I am going back to my company’s legal department to see what can be done about this embarrassment and unsafe environment at the Hilton Garden Inn Emeryville, and I think there is about a 90% chance I will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
After reading your comments, I cannot express my out rage of how this security company treated you. I would ask you to contact me directly so we can discuss this further at 510-658-8127. I am not pleased with how this security company operated and I am reaching out to them as well.

If you would like to send me an email with your contact information, I can reach out to you. Send an email to sal.soto@hilton.com.

We do appreciate your business and want you back. I will guarentee this will not happen again.

London
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel staff were all very helpful and the hotel business amenities came in very handy (free wired and wireless internet in-room access and free unlimited printing).

My room was comfortable and had good views on the bay (at the back of the hotel) although there was a bit of night noise coming from boat foghorns and what looked like kitchen air vents. I liked the fridge and microwave that allowed for food storage and heating. The fact that you could buy food ready-to-cook food from the hotel pantry was convenient too.

Another good selling point was the free hotel shuttle. Even though Emeryville already boasts a super-convenient free shuttle service (Emery Go Round) that covers the MacArthur BART station and stops near the hotel, the Hilton shuttle was invaluable for local travel not covered by the town’s own shuttle. Shame it stops at 8pm, but since it’s a free service it’s still great value.

If I had to find room for improvement I would probably mention breakfast as the buffet breakfast was little bit pricey and there didn’t seem to be any ‘a la carte’ choices for those of us who don’t eat buffet-sized portions in the morning. Finally the bathroom toiletries were a little bit on the cheap side (why not give any bubble bath when there is a nice tub in the bathroom?).
Still, I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Emeryville.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We like giving nice surprises to our guest. HGI's are very consistant and we have amenities that are the same throughout the brand. It was a great idea about the bubble bath, maybe we can add that to the items we sell in the pantry.

Thank you and hope to see you back real soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel is noisy if you're stuck on the Emeryville side - noisy beyond belief. With 14 stories I got level 2 and a view of the motorway and the cleaning platform. I stay at hotels regularly as do the staff who work for me. No one will ever stay here again. Appalling, how on earth is this number one for Emeryville is everyone hard of hearing and suffer from poor sight.

Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Richard C
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appologize for the noise, but you do have a couple of options. You could of asked to be moved to a higher floor and/or moved to the Bay side of the hotel. Now the Bay side does have a premium on it and it is the preferred side, we would be happy to move you if it was available. Reservations should be made in advance as the Bay side gets sold out early. We also have ear plugs available for those to choose to use them.

We appreciate your business and hope you try us again.

Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed December 9, 2012

One front desk woman was quite rude. All other staff was nice and professional. The lobby was nice and cozy. The rooms were a little dated. There is a lot of freeway noise. Unless you are a really heavy sleeper good luck. If you want to move to a quiter room you have to pay $100 more for the bay side. It is in nice location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appologize if one of our team members was anything but accomodating. We recently hired a new front office manager and I am sure things will continue to improve and you will not experience that type of service again. If you do, please do not hesitate to reach out to myself or another manager that is present.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.

Sal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!