“Poor treatment of regular business customers for a larger contract”

Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Poor treatment of regular business customers for a larger contract”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn TURNED OVER THE REIGNS to a Private Security firm that HARASSED PAYING GUESTS, including myself, a Gold - soon to be Diamond - HiltonHonors member during the week leading up to and into Christmas week 2012 The security firm turned what should have been and enjoyable holiday work week and visit into an UNCOMFORTABLE STAY.

PAYING HOTEL PATRONS were CONSTANTLY BEING WATCHED and TREATED LIKE CRIMINALS just for walking through the lobby by this outside private security company. I regularly saw the outside security team walk into the breakfast area and grab danishes and food with bare hands without paying. The security team seemed to act like they owned the place treating guests as criminals every time they walked through the lobby WITHOUT ANY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FROM REGULAR HILTON HOTEL STAFF. I have stayed here for the last 4 months almost every week and have never been treated so bad.

Hotel staff was allowing this security firm to run wild over the property providing no information or reassurance to the paying regular patrons. The most egregious mistake made by hotel staff and something I think will make me -- after 4 months of staying here and becoming a Diamond member mainly at this hotel -- never stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Emeryville, again, is that the the security firm approached me during breakfast on Christmas Eve morning in the busy restaurant. They harassed and accused me of activity of me using my phone that they did not like. There were two women who identified them as managers at the Hilton Garden Inn, and a gentleman insinuating he was Hilton Security and basically ruined mood for the rest of the holiday eve. Fortunately for me, I had been staying there for the last 4 months, and I knew that the women were not Hilton managers, which I confirmed the next day with the front desk.

The women were IMPERSONATING HILTON GARDEN INN STAFF MANAGERS, and that the security was an outside company. A quick search of the internet a few days earlier confirmed to me the reason for the security and all the additional people being escorted into the hotel - I had the reason that they were in the building, so I was not alarmed. However, I was embarrassed by the way I was treated in the middle of the restaurant and how the Hilton Garden Inn staff and MANAGEMENT SEEMED TO ALLOW THIS FIRM TO DO WHATEVER THE PLEASED at the EXPENSE OF THEIR REGULAR LONGTIME BUSINESS PATRONS.

After this incident in the restaurant, I myself WORRIED ABOUT MY PERSONAL PRIVACY and WORRIED ABOUT MY WORK RELATED PRIVACY IN MY OWN ROOM, wondering what other acts the Hilton Garden Inn staff would allow this private firm to do to paying customers.

At this point I am going back to my company’s legal department to see what can be done about this embarrassment and unsafe environment at the Hilton Garden Inn Emeryville, and I think there is about a 90% chance I will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
After reading your comments, I cannot express my out rage of how this security company treated you. I would ask you to contact me directly so we can discuss this further at 510-658-8127. I am not pleased with how this security company operated and I am reaching out to them as well.

If you would like to send me an email with your contact information, I can reach out to you. Send an email to sal.soto@hilton.com.

We do appreciate your business and want you back. I will guarentee this will not happen again.

Sal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel staff were all very helpful and the hotel business amenities came in very handy (free wired and wireless internet in-room access and free unlimited printing).

My room was comfortable and had good views on the bay (at the back of the hotel) although there was a bit of night noise coming from boat foghorns and what looked like kitchen air vents. I liked the fridge and microwave that allowed for food storage and heating. The fact that you could buy food ready-to-cook food from the hotel pantry was convenient too.

Another good selling point was the free hotel shuttle. Even though Emeryville already boasts a super-convenient free shuttle service (Emery Go Round) that covers the MacArthur BART station and stops near the hotel, the Hilton shuttle was invaluable for local travel not covered by the town’s own shuttle. Shame it stops at 8pm, but since it’s a free service it’s still great value.

If I had to find room for improvement I would probably mention breakfast as the buffet breakfast was little bit pricey and there didn’t seem to be any ‘a la carte’ choices for those of us who don’t eat buffet-sized portions in the morning. Finally the bathroom toiletries were a little bit on the cheap side (why not give any bubble bath when there is a nice tub in the bathroom?).
Still, I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Emeryville.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We like giving nice surprises to our guest. HGI's are very consistant and we have amenities that are the same throughout the brand. It was a great idea about the bubble bath, maybe we can add that to the items we sell in the pantry.

Thank you and hope to see you back real soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel is noisy if you're stuck on the Emeryville side - noisy beyond belief. With 14 stories I got level 2 and a view of the motorway and the cleaning platform. I stay at hotels regularly as do the staff who work for me. No one will ever stay here again. Appalling, how on earth is this number one for Emeryville is everyone hard of hearing and suffer from poor sight.

Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Richard C
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appologize for the noise, but you do have a couple of options. You could of asked to be moved to a higher floor and/or moved to the Bay side of the hotel. Now the Bay side does have a premium on it and it is the preferred side, we would be happy to move you if it was available. Reservations should be made in advance as the Bay side gets sold out early. We also have ear plugs available for those to choose to use them.

We appreciate your business and hope you try us again.

Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed December 9, 2012

One front desk woman was quite rude. All other staff was nice and professional. The lobby was nice and cozy. The rooms were a little dated. There is a lot of freeway noise. Unless you are a really heavy sleeper good luck. If you want to move to a quiter room you have to pay $100 more for the bay side. It is in nice location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appologize if one of our team members was anything but accomodating. We recently hired a new front office manager and I am sure things will continue to improve and you will not experience that type of service again. If you do, please do not hesitate to reach out to myself or another manager that is present.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.

Colorado Springs
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a dated exterior and gets a lot of highway noise. Still, at the neck of a mIni penninsula and at the east end of the Bay Bridge, the location is just fine. The rooms are decorated nicely and the desk staff is friendly and professional. $15.00 US per night for parking is a little stiff for paying guests, though.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Our location is perfect and our prices are reasonable. We have great value for the price paid. Don't forget to use our complimentary HS internet and state of the art fitness center while you are here.

Thank you for your business and hope to see you soon.

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Great location, close to Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco. Good rooms as you would expect from Hilton Garden Inn. Restaurant is good for breakfast and dinner.i would definitely stay here again. Home of Cal Bears football team on night before home game, so full of football players and families...lots of energy and enthusiasm.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor with bay view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We are big supporters of Cal Sports and there is always a lot of energy when there is a team or even a visiting team in the hotel. We had a band playing in the parking lot just this past weekend, so expect a lot of team spirit.

We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you back real soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My girlfriend and I came to visit over Thanksgiving week and we got pretty much everything we expected. The room met all expectations in terms of cleanliness and quality (quality of bed was wonderful!), the front desk staff was very kind and helpful with question, and the gym was maintained very well (very clean, working order, organized). If I *HAD* to give any criticisms, it would be that the outdoor spa should have a cover thrown on it (you can easily see it looked pretty green) and that the breakfast buffet restaurant was a bit pricey (about $14.95 per person) but a 5 minute walk from the hotel gave us some other dining options. We did have some issues with the climate control as it sometimes had a mind of its own, but it wasn't disruptively uncomfortable. Nightly room price was reasonable/competitive. There's a free shuttle just outside the property (called "Emery-go-round") that took us right to the MacArthur stop of the BART - so easy access to SF, Oakland, and Berkeley, as long as you planned about a 30-60 minute cushion to/from the hotel to where you want.

Room Tip: Opt for a non-mountain view if you're a light sleeper (non-freeway side). Also if you can take...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appreciate your comments and take a look at your recommendations for the outdoor spa.

We hope to see you back real soon.

Sal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Inn at Temescal
Inn at Temescal
#7 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!