“Best by the Bay!!!”

HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I would like to recommend that anyone traveling to the Bay Area to stay at the Hyatt House Emeryville. The hotel has had a recent refresh and the property and rooms are very well decorated, clean and inviting. My wife has had some recent health issues and has been unable to travel, so I had a huge concern that she had a comfortable and relaxing trip. The Hyatt House didn't disappoint us one bit. The property manager, Alan, and his staff are very friendly and made our stay a wonderful experience. The hotel is very conveniently located to the Bay Area and all it's attractions/ sights. This hotel and it's staff will make your stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: The west side has a Bay View ( higher the better and the east side has a view of the Amtrak Station...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank RodM07

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I am many months late in posting this review, so maybe some of the issues we saw have been corrected. I hope so. We generally like Hyatt House hotels for family stays, but this one was a bit below par. For one thing, it was very shabby looking in the corridors and elevators, with stained and patched carpets. Some of the furniture in our room looked just plain worn out, and we were surprised that a Hyatt property seemed so long overdue for renovation. It made the stay less pleasant than it should have been. Also, breakfast was total chaos. The hotel was quite booked while we were there, but that's really no excuse. The staff were unable to keep up with demand for either food, dishes or utensils. When we first got into the breakfast line they ran out of plates. When we saw them bring out more plates, we went back up to the buffet to get plates and food, but then many of the food items were gone. I overheard a woman ask one of the staff if there were more spoons. He gave her an exasperated look and said they were getting things washed as quickly as possible. Then, he suggested to her that she complain to management, because that way maybe they'd buy enough dishes and utensils! Also, as others have noted, there is train noise at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2014

As a Hyatt Gold member and a business traveler, I stayed in a recently redecorated corner room far from the elevators (1101). This turned out to have poor Wi-Fi connectivity which I'm told the property is presently working on to improve. I was able to connect a laptop (with very poor performance) but not my iPad3 or my Samsung smartphone.

In addition, business travelers expecting a desk with AC outlets will be disappointed. Until they complete a second phase of renovation (I am told), one has to use the kitchen island for a work surface, facing the kitchenette, and stringing the laptop AC power cable across the kitchen to a wall outlet. A hotel phone is plugged into the single island outlet. The island is uncomfortable for prolonged typing and your arms will be in a poor position, leaning against a very hard granite-like surface.

Other than these two very business traveler oriented complaints, this is a fine property though more expensive than other local alternatives. The front desk staff was exceedingly nice, helpful and concerned (thank you Minh). The room immaculate, spacious, nicely designed in a modern way though with cheaper furniture.

My room faced east almost overlooking the Emeryville train station, which meant for train noises throughout the night. That explains why there are ear plugs on the bedside table. I might recommend the other side of the hall, though I don't know ho much quieter it might be. My refrigerator also came on periodically during the night making a distinct repetitive tapping sound. So I did not get the best night's sleep but that may be more due to the room I was given.

The included hot breakfast was good, judged more by the freshness of available fruit than by anything beyond the normal scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes and such. The bathroom was large, well-lit and with adequate but not special soap/shampoo. I did not use the kitchenette but it looked quite adequate for family travelers.

I mentioned my business inconveniences to Minh at the front desk when I checked out, and he proactively added a note to my frequent stayer profile to avoid a end-of-hall/corner room...so on my next visit I could receive better Wi-Fi. That's unusually nice attention to guests, and probably pervades the staff.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms due to poor Wi-Fi
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank DenverDoug88
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Had a couple of multi night stays, and although the hotel is basic the rooms are very big, and the hotel has most features incl a small pool area. They have a nice and cheap selection of snacks, drinks etc in lobby. Rooms have kitchenettes. 2 minutes walk across a walkway to Amtrak station Emeryville for those on any of those, like California Zephyr, or Coast Starlight as we did. Several restaurant and shops in the block around.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gumball997
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Staff was polite, room was clean, and the hot breakfast was better than average. Nothing was spectacular, but it was a good value and I would stay here again on business. No complaints.

There are only a couple of dinner options in walking distance, but plenty if you have a car or use the free shuttles.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Irvinec7
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have been going to this hotel for the past five years or so. My granddaughter finally finished high school and ballet last year and this year our grandson graduated from high school so I do not know when we will be back. This year we discovered the rooms had new furniture and were even nicer. They were already quite nice but now even better. We love the fact that we do not have to go get ice, the frig. has an ice maker. The small kitchen is very handy with the microwave, sink, stove, etc. Near restaurants and stores, Trader Joes too. The train bothers others but not us.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Janet O
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Very modern, clean, convenient, near restaurants, great pool, great beds, nice bathroom, excellent service, delicious varied breakfast. The rooms were very large. Small kitchen in the room.This was a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank entrejoes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
#1 of 20 in Berkeley

Been to HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area? Share your experiences!