“Great location, very clean”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Eureka, California
“Great location, very clean”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed at the Marriott for business so we could get out of the busy city. This was the perfect location, just off the bay bridge and right across the street from lots of shopping! It's right near the busy freeway, but we couldn't hear any noise from the traffic, so that was nice. The hotel looked like it had recently been renovated so the hotel was nice and updated, and the rooms were very clean. Quick and easy check in. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask to get a room overlooking the bay bridge, very cool looking at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jordanp2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The hotel is a bit awkward to get to from the interstate ... but it's much easier to get back on. It's a bit larger than most other Courtyard's I've stayed at (and lacks the distinctive courtyard) but the service and room styles were very much what I've come to expect. The area has plenty of shopping and dining but nearly all of it seems chain based and I didn't feel much local flavor. I had to go a bit further afield to find that.

Room Tip: Bay view is probably better and you can see the bridge. Higher rooms have the better view, but even...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Todd S
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The stay was nice, but I'm going to score them low for an astounding bout penny-pinching.

After paying an average of $230 per night plus $9 parking, I found out that they don't provide a continental breakfast. Ok. That's cool. I have no real problem eating in a restaurant in the morning. So I sat down for my first meal.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, or I'm taking it a bit too seriously. But here's what happened. I paid $16 for a breakfast and medium coffee that you would get for free at a lesser hotel. It was the standard re-heated sausage patties. Scrambled eggs that tasted bland and soggy, (and possibly came from a carton) and some over-cooked potatoes, a thin slice of orange and a single strawberry. Now, I know I'm not sitting at an IHOP or a Denny's, which are middle-of-the-charts for breakfast, but this food was far below the level of what I would expect for a breakfast costing more than $10.

So, I'm a bit upset by the price, but here is the thing that put it over the top. When I asked for a refill on my coffee. (A standard, ordinary, run-hot-water-through-beans coffee) the guys running the "restaurant" said I would have to buy another cup! I was astonished at the cheapness of that request on top of an already overpriced breakfast. Never had I stayed in a hotel before that required you to buy multiple cups of plain coffee. Hell, most restaurants refill your coffee for free! It's not like there is a shortage of decent coffee plaguing the United States. So with that, I decided I was done buying food in the hotel restaurant.

The result of that reluctance to drop 20 cents worth of coffee in my cup ended up costing them four more day's worth of breakfasts/dinners as I chose to take my business elsewhere. If I could, I'd stay at another hotel where they aren't nickle & diming you quite as blatantly.

That said. The room was nice, clean, and offered a restful nights sleep. The bed was comfortable and the view of the bay was outstanding. I swam/exercised in the indoor pool. The water was a bit cold, but I got a very good workout by swimming laps. The staff was friendly. And there is a little mall right across the street where you can go shopping, see a movie, or hit up a restaurant.

So. I guess it is the principle of the thing. Not refilling coffee after charging that much for a breakfast just totally rubbed me the wrong way. It was a first for me, although I only travel on business a half-dozen or so times a year. If you don't care about coffee, or penny-pinching hotels, then this place is comfortable, safe, and quiet.

Room Tip: Second floor has a few conference rooms. Can be a bit noisy with a smell of that sterno stuff they...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Reuben S
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for staying at our hotel, and for the nice things you wrote about the hotel and our staff. Regrettably, that was outweighed by the bad experience you had at breakfast. Unfortunately, one of our staff members misunderstood a recent procedural change. We recently started breaking down the free coffee station in the lobby when the Bistro restuarant opens. In hearing about that change, they translated "no free coffee once the restaurant opens" to "no refills." We don't advertise the old "bottomless cup of coffee," and we don't do refills on Starbucks specialty coffees, but we do pour at least one refill on drip coffees upon request. I apologize that your server that morning did not do that for you. Everyone on our staff is now clear on our policies and procedures and we won't appear so cheap in the future. I hope you will give a another try when you return to the area. Thank you again for you business and hope to see you soon.
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Courtyard is conveniently located in Emeryville, close to Oakland and San Francisco. The rooms are very nice and the bed comfortable. It has a nice fitness center, ample parking and a cafe/dining area in the main lobby with friendly servers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank G
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed February 19, 2014

At the east end of the Oakland bridge to San Francisco, Emeryville is a rich little town north side of Oakland. Nice downtown area for shoppers. The Courtyard by Marriott is a short walk away. The hotel is new and clean. Small daily fee for controlled access parking lot. Very nice breakfast bar where you can get cooked-to-order omelets. We had the fruit yogurt parfait every morning. Reasonable prices. Spacious lobby and dining area. Above-average property. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: West -side rooms face the Bay. Nice view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dr J W S
Roseville, California
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Decent, comfortable place to stay in Emeryville, nothing over the top but a good place to stay.
Pluses:
- Comfortable bed, stayed in a King room which had a small sofa and convenient desk.
- Clean and everything as expected
- Bistro onsite, decent but fast foodish / pub fare
- Close to shopping centers and freeway access
- Easy, fast WiFi

Cons:
-Paying for parking (why not just make it part of price?)
-Not a super great value. It is comparable to the local competition like Hyatt House or Sheraton but something feels wrong about paying $250 with taxes for a 3 star hotel.

Overall a good stay, will stay there again.

Room Tip: Non-bay side room on 8th floor was very quiet, bay side might be louder as it is right on freeway.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We had clean, big rooms overlooking the bay. Located in a quiet neighborhood with nice shopping area just across the road. The bistro has a good breakfast selection, serves Starbucks coffee. Never had any meal outside of breakfast so can't speak for their lunch or dinner selections. Friendly staff, especially at the bistro.

Great location. The hotel is close to the freeway and depending on traffic, it's a 10-20 mins drive to downtown San Francisco.

Also just 5 mins away is a good dimsum place -- Hong Kong East Ocean.

Stayed January 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Oakland Marriott City Center

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!