“Great location”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was my first time staying here. I really liked the openness of the public areas. The staff were very nice. The view from my room was awesome! The location was very convenient for shopping and restaurants.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Wendy M

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I spend entirely too much time in hotels all around the country. I find that Marriott provides me with the best value most of the time, and their reward points and ease of scheduling reward travel makes them a great choice for me. Consistency between properties is usually very good. I get a nice room, near where I need to be, with enough amenities to make business travel less of a drag.

The Emeryville Courtyard Marriott is in a very good location. Rooms appear neat and tidy. But the walls are so thin that you can hear everything from the next room and hallways which is not enjoyable or relaxing. The remodel of the lobby looks great. The parking lot is a headache. It's cramped and the secondary key is a hassle.

I disagree with the reviewers who had bad things to say about the staff. I've had no issues. Overall its an average property at an above average price point. The convenience is the only reason to choose this hotel over any other competing property.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BluWater1der
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear BluWater1der,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on Marriott and our hotel in particular. I am glad you like our new lobby and Bistro, as well as our location. I am especially grateful for your comments about our staff. We work hard to please everyone, but that is not always possible. Thank you for sharing your perspective as a frequent traveler to our hotel.
Your comments about cramped parking and noise between guest rooms are very helpful. Within a year or so, we will be repaving and restriping the parking lot. The last time we did it, I dropped a few spots in select areas so the new spots could be wider. I will do that again in more areas. With regard to noise between rooms, I have received some comments like yours, but not a large number. We will look into ways to improve the soundproofing between rooms.
While we are not the world's fanciest hotel, we try to be one of the friendliest and most helpful. Thank you again for complementing our people and for being a repeat customer.
Warm regards ~ Jeff Given, General Manager

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We booked a room with 2 queen beds because we had 3 adults. At check-in they said they didn't have 2 queen beds but they could give us a king bed and sleeper sofa. We got to the room to find no pillows for the horrible sleeper sofa so we called to request 2 pillows. I was told the hotel had no more pillows. I didn't sleep very well, if at all.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at several Courtyard's and never had an issue, and while this was a decent stay, there were some issues.

First, it costs $9/day to park there. Are you kidding me?! You have plenty of parking for your rooms, there is NO need to charge for it, or if you are going to, build it into the room cost so people don't notice it you morons! We were not informed of the parking cost upon checking in, only when we received the final invoice the day we left!

Second, the Internet access was pretty much inaccessible the entire stay. We had 5 people in my group, none of us could get a decent signal anywhere in the entire hotel! As one earlier reviewer said, I have seen dial-up work faster than the wifi did!

We asked for extra towels to be brought up the first night there, and they were....THE NEXT MORNING! Really?! It was such a tough task to bring them up at 9 at night? When I asked the next night, we got them in 15 minutes!

On the second night, the vending machine on our floor was broken, so I went one floor down and grabbed drinks for a couple of us. My soda was expired for TWO YEARS!!!!! How the hell do you or your stocking person not look at that?! I went to the front desk to let them know and the woman there sounded put off by my complaint even though I was very nice and upbeat when bringing it up. She pretty much shooed me away to the little "store" they have there to get a new one.

Overall, this was by far the worst Courtyard I have stayed in and I will not go back to this one again. Many of the staff need to be retrained or fired outright, including the General Manager whose comments on other peoples complaints here are essentially calling them liars, or saying "too bad" in a different way!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Correll0415
Reviewed June 20, 2012

There's a lot to do in the immediate area of the hotel, but overall the lobby area is about the only thing up to Courtyard standard in my opinion. The room I was in was showing some serious wear, though it was clean. However, the workout area was a complete joke. Some machines were out of order which reduced available equipment. By far the worst aspect of this hotel was the Internet service, or perhaps I should say lack thereof. If you need to get any work done, be prepared to bring your own data card. When I was finally able to connect and access my e-mail I downloaded an attachment at a whopping 2.8 kb/sec. I've actually seen dialup that was faster. I mentioned it to the front desk and they didn't seem to care. I promptly cancelled further reservations for this property and have taken my business elsewhere. As a platinum member of the Marriott program I want to stay loyal to Marriott, but there are other much better properties in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wunderlusting01
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We have stayed here frequently over the years when we visit the SF Bay Area and it has become our favorite place to stay because of its proximity to everything. Located between Oakland and Berkeley right on the Bay, it is near the east entrance to the Oakland Bay Bridge. San Francisco is a short jaunt by car or by Bart from Emeryville. While parking is no longer free, it is significantly less than the parking fees of hotels in San Francisco. Wi-Fi is free and Internet access is also available at no charge thru its Business Center.

A great place to stay whether visiting San Francisco, Oakland or Berkeley!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cgmeigs
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I last reviewed in 2009 but have stayed several times with my family, including April 2012 and will be staying again soon. This hotel has been consistently good, even through the lobby renovation, and their description of the renovation was honest and accurate. The rooms have always been very clean and the location is central if you're traveling to Oakland, Berkeley and SF. It has been a quiet hotel, you don't go there to get pampered but the staff are easy to find when you need them and bring things promptly (crib, etc.) to the room.

Room Tip: We've never stayed on a lower floor. The Bay View is nice but not essential (sunsets can be nice...