“An Afgan Treat”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Kabob Palace
Reviewed November 26, 2013

On a very slow Monday night we happened to drive past the Kabob Palace and made a u-turn. The decor is odd, very "other-worldly", and I didn't care for the large chandelier centerpieces. The food (lamb, chicken and beef combo, chicken, beef shredded, and beef patties) were all excellent, on perfectly prepared long-grain basmati rice, with a basic salad and fresh bread. Portions are very generous. Service, location and mood were a pleasant and effective. They've been in business for 12 years. A much need surprise for a weary traveling family passing through Elk Grove.

We will be returning.

There are newer reviews for Kabob Palace

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My rating is for the food. Not the service.

Not sure when Kabob Palace first opened but I know it hasn't been open long. It showed in the service we received on 1/5/13. Been wanting to try it since there aren't many restaurants in Elk Grove that offer foods from that region of Asia. There must've been something wrong goin' on in the kitchen because people had to wait for an inordinate amount of time. The wait staff (there seemed to be only 2) tended to argue about when to clear tables and when to serve.

Regardless, our waitress was very nice and apologetic for the delay, which, compared to others, wasn't as long. I even think we received our food before another table or 2 who were there before us.

Now on to the food, My son ordered the combo (cubed beef and chicken). My wife, a different combo (ground and cubed beef), I, the lamb kabob. Even though we had to wait a bit, it was worth it. We all shared with one another and every bite was tender and nicely spiced. The rice was fluffy and also nicely seasoned. We ordered an appetizer (the eggplant) that came with our meal but, that was ok given the problems they were having. That eggplant was great! With the bread they gave along with the green dipping sauce... Mmmmm! The whole meal was really good!

We plan to go back and hope they've ironed out their operational problems. We weren't in a hurry so we kinda enjoyed the floor show, i.e., the wait staff sniping at each other, some customers getting impatient and voicing their displeasure, and our waitress coming by several times apologizing and updating us on our food's eta.

I hope they get things ironed out because we need more restaurant choices in Elk Grove. All-in-all, the food was really worth the wait.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This opened quite recently at 9620 Bruceville Rd., Suite 104 in Elk Grove, so I don't know if it's the same restaurant in a different locale. The Kabob Palace that has been previously reviewed is on Franklin Blvd. The restaurant we went to is on the corner of Elk Grove Blvd. and Bruceville Rd., in the same area as Kohl's.

Husband and I shared a combo plate of Tikka chicken and charbroiled beef, which comes with long-grain rice, a green side salad, several large pieces of soft flat bread, and a little container of spicy green sauce. There were three large pieces of each kind of meat. The chicken was tender, and the beef was seasoned well. We used the green sauce on it and on the rice...yummy. The small salad was fresh.

The staff was friendly. At the checkout counter there were several interesting packages of Afghan food, and someone explained them all to me when I asked. We saw several people carrying out big orders of the bread loaves, which are the size of a small rug. They open at 11 a.m. 7 days a week, until 9 or 10 p.m.

We are planning to return and try the lamb kabobs, an appetizer, and dessert.