“Hampton Inn in Elks Grove, CA”

Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Elk Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, United States
“Hampton Inn in Elks Grove, CA”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Clean, safe and affordable! My only gripe was there was not a bottle opener to borrow anywhere! The front desk said they 'used to' have openers in the rooms, but no longer stock them. We had to borrow from a hotel guest who happened to bring their own. Other than that, restful night sleep :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

saceg_hampton_suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello Traveler,

Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate your business and we love hearing from our guests. We have re-stocked our supply of bottle openers and we have a couple in the back office just in case we can't locate any in the kitchen or front desk area. Thank you for bringing it to our attention so we can continue improving our product and service.

Thanks again and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2013

the room I was given was at the building and the elevator was at the other end. The room was overpriced. the bathroom tub had hair. the bathroom was not clean the Bed quilt was half quilt and the other half had no filling it was ineffective in keeping you warm and slipped off the bed. I will not be staying at the Hampton chain again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

saceg_hampton_suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your review with your recent stay with us. I am so disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We take so many steps to ensure that each and every guest is 100% satisfied with their stay. For instance, we have each room inspected by a designated inspector after the room is clean and a member of management spot checks rooms for cleanliness and quality.

We also perform a courtesy call, 30-60 minutes after check in to ensure your room meets your satisfaction and to find out what we can do to exceed your expectations. This give us an opportunity to correct any problems or issues with your room type, location, condition and quality. We also inform guests about our Hampton Guarantee, Breakfast, wake up call and restaurant recommendations. We attempt to discover problems so we can correct them prior to you leaving. We want to exceed expectations from each and every guest.

I have sent you an email to follow up with some other questions I had about your experience to make sure we are meeting all of the marks. I look forward to your response and I hope you give us an opportunity to welcome you back to the Hampton Inn and Suites Elk Grove.

San Jose, CA
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for 2 separate nights and booked a king standard on the hotel web site. The first night was on Sat and the hotel was fully booked. We checked in around 6:30pm. The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We were ready for a relaxing time in the bath tub after a long day of traveling. To our surprise, the room has a shower only. The front desk lady said no bathtub available for king std room. We need to pay extra for a bathtub (king studio suite). When I checked out the next morning and mentioned that hotel web site should clearly specify that king std room has no bathtub. It was misleading and unpleasant to us. The lady said she was not aware of the fact, but will upgrade our 2nd night to a king studio suite (with a bath tub). We were very happy with her attitude and the stay (on 2nd night) was excellent. I wished the hotel staff on the first night had the same attitude. Next time, if we come back - we will call the hotel and make sure the room has the bathtub.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

saceg_hampton_suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. I agree that sometimes it is frustrating to not know all of the features and amenities in the room. I am glad we had an upgrade available for you on your return trip. My staff likes going up and beyond for each and every guest that stays here and I am glad that we were able to get you in a room that worked best for you. For specific requests, you can leave comments at time of reservation that we see on the morning of your arrival. We always do our best to honor each request that we see.

Our King Standard rooms do only come with a shower and our two queen standard rooms come with a tub. Our Studio Suites, which is an upgraded room that includes a microwave and refrigerator also has a tub. Unfortunately our King Standard rooms only have a shower and if you wanted a tub, we have the two other room types that have one. On the other hand, we are more then happy to offer an upgrade to a Studio Suite if we have one available. Our suites are the most popular room we have and we often sell out before our other rooms. They also offer additional amenities which is why they cost a little more.

We would be happy to accommodate your room needs when you travel to Elk Grove in the future. If you would like, call me at the hotel and I'll make your reservation for you, including your special requests.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Very clean, and polite staff. Breakfast had hot eggs with ham and hot potato cubes, and you can make your own waffles, hot oatmeal, toast/bread/bagel, juices, and of course coffee. Room as very comfortable and roomy considering it had 2 queen beds. Bathroom as roomy and very clean. would recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review. We love hearing from our guests, positive or negative, and the experience that they had. I am glad you enjoyed our "On The House" breakfast and the room that you stayed in. We have some new and exciting changes to our breakfast that will improve something that is already great.

I have already shared your review with the staff here and they were pleased that you enjoyed your experience. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Clovis, CA
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Note: This is an update to my review posted on 10/13/13, which is below. I have changed my overall rating for this hotel from a 3 to a 5 due to the incredible level of customer service I received from the hotel, which actively sought to resolve the few issues I experienced during my stay. I can honestly say that I have never had a hotel exhibit the level of customer service and strive for customer satisfaction the way that Hampton Inn has. They have definitely won a repeat customer for any of my future visits to the area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We just came back from spending the weekend at the Hampton Inn in Elk Grove for a tennis tournament. I booked a block of about 10 rooms for my teams at the Hampton Inn. Overall, it is a very nice and clean hotel with a nice very staff. But there were a few issues that kept us from having an ideal stay there.

PROS:
The staff seemed very nice and helpful from the Sales Manager Sierra who helped us book 10 rooms, to the Front Desk staff including Morgan who were very friendly, to the Breakfast attendant.

The rooms and beds seemed very nice and clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was very nice and one of the reasons we chose the Hampton Inn. Trying to organize 10+ people to be somewhere by 715a is difficult but made easier by having a convenient quick breakfast in the hotel. I didn't have to worry about missing teammates who were wandering the streets of Elk Grove looking for a Starbucks or McDonalds. The breakfast had a good variety of fruits, yogurts, bread items, hot items (like sausage and omletes), oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, self-made waffles, cereals, coffee, juices, etc. We enjoyed the selection and convenience very much. By comparison, the Hilton Garden Inn does not offer a free breakfast.

For those that are computer savvy and like to carry their iphones, laptops, and ipads, the Hampton has excellent free WiFi which seemed to be very fast and easy to connect. It seemed secure too as you had to log in using your room info.

The location was good, near the main street of Laguna and I-5. Many restaurants and fast food places were conveniently located within a few minutes and pretty easy to find. Just a note for planning purposes is that the Hampton is on the I-5 (West) side of town and the Hilton Garden Inn is on the highway 99 (East) side of town. Only 10 minutes to cross the town on Laguna so not a huge deal either way.

Those were all the good things about the hotel,... unfortunately there were a few things that made the visit less than perfect and therefore elicit my rating of 3 stars vs 4-5 stars for my visit.

CONS:
Although the beds were comfortable, we did not sleep very well for either night of our stay. The walls seem to be very thin or at least thinner than other hotels that I have stayed in. We were in room 221 which had, I believe, a hearing impaired room next to it. The first night of our stay we had a neighbor that had loud conversations in the middle of the night which kept us awake. Finally, at around 2am in the morning I walked down to the lobby to ask the front desk (who was very helpful) to please ask the other room to quiet down. The nice front desk lady finally managed to get this other guest to quiet down, but since we had to wake up at 545a in the morning, we didn't get very much sleep that night.

The other problem that kept us awake may be due to the location of our room. All night long, there sounded like a clothes dryer or something similar cycling on and off. While not "super" loud it was noticeable enough to wake me up throughout both nights of my stay. Would recommend to not stay on that floor or that side of the hotel.

The final issue we had during our stay was a situation with pool and hot tub area. We choose to stay in specific hotels because of the pool and hot tub for my children who were traveling with us. It is one of the highlights of their stay to be be able to swim and enjoy the hot tub. Several members of my team (myself included) had looked forward to enjoying the hot tub to help soothe aching muscles from many hours of tennis matches. However, the afternoon of our stay we were told the pool and hot tub were closed for refinishing. Major disappointment for the kids in our group. They had looked forward all morning to being able to go swimming and play in the hot tub. So several of us in our group changed our plans for the afternoon to find alternative things for our kids to do. About 90 minutes later I happened to be walking back thru the lobby and the front desk alerted me that the pool was now open! Good news, so I had to text several in my group, but some had already left the hotel and didn't have time to use the pool anymore. I did bring my kids soon after to the hot tub, but another disappointment awaited them. The hot tub was cold! We turned on the bubbles hoping it would quickly warm up, while trying to keep the kids occupied. One of my kids refused to go in the pool which was cold and the other that did jump in was shivering like crazy waiting for the hot tub to warm up. After 20-30 mins, the hot tub was still no warmer so I walked to the front desk to inquire if the hot tub was broken. The Front Desk Manager quick went to check the hot tub and said the heater had been reset so was off. He turned it on for us and was very helpful. But we only had about another 30-45 mins left before we had to leave and in that time, the 'hot' tub barely became a 'lukewarm at best' tub. The kids still went in because they were bored like crazy by then but it was way too cold for the adults to use or enjoy. By the time we had to leave to meet others for dinner, it still had a LONG way to go in order to heat up. Disappointing.

SUMMARY:
All these things aren't major problems for the Hampton Inn and were fixable (not sure about the whirling dryer noise though). But if we had known the pool might be closed the afternoon of our stay, we may have chosen to block rooms out at a different hotel. And a good night's sleep is very important to us, especially before an important tennis tournament weekend.

Overall, it is a very nice hotel and has a great staff, and most of my group enjoyed staying there. But nonetheless, these issues led to a less than ideal stay for myself and my family.

Room Tip: Room 221 was a bad location. Seemed to be above a noisy clothes dryer which went on and off ALL nigh...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello RichardQ. Thank you for updating your review and I am glad that the service of our staff has won you over to become a repeat guest. We are so happy to know that your team had a good time and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are ready for your return visit and will be happy to provide you with the best accommodations possible.

Dinuba, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Thanks for the great amenities with a very nice breakfast selection. I would recommend this property and Hampton Suites again. The location is close to all things Elk Grove, and Elk Grove is a short distance to Sacramento and other great towns to experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

saceg_hampton_suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi John. Thank you for your great review. I am very happy to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed all of our amenities including our On The House Breakfast which is served every day between 6am and 10am. We have had some new additions this year and Hampton just announced additional improvements next year including better eggs, sausages, oatmeal toppings, fresh fruit choices and many other items. Next time you are in the Elk Grove area, be sure to stop by, say hi, and enjoy our comfortable rooms.

Thank you again and "We Love Having You Here."

Oakland, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The service from the front desk attendant Marissa was excellent, the amenities were good, wi fi was easy to use. I also noticed the attendant at the buffet style breakfast walking around asking people if everything was ok and if they needed anything. I will definitely stay here again. I take note of good service wherever I go and the service here was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Patrick W
saceg_hampton_suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Patrick. Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I am very pleased that Marissa offered you great service and that you had a very positive stay. I have already shared your comments with the entire staff and they loved knowing they were able to exceed your expectations. When your travel brings you back to Elk Grove, we would love to have you here again.

Thanks again!

Fairfield Inn & Suites Sacramento Elk Grove
The Westin Sacramento
The Westin Sacramento
#14 of 81 in Sacramento

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5? Share your experiences!