“Another Pleasant Surprise”

Holiday Inn Express Elk Grove
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Elk Grove
Reviewed October 6, 2011

On a visit to see family in Elk Grove, CA , I booked a Holiday Inn Express expecting a mediocre but less costly stay. To my surprise the room was very clean with flat screen TV, fridge and microwave. The bed was very comfortable as well. Included in the price was a nice breakfast with pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, plus the usual cereals and bagels, etc..
My congratulations to Mr. Patel who is doing a great job and running a tight ship.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side (back) may tend to be a bit less quiet due to the freeway.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 5, 2011

So the day we were checking out, we get a knock on the door at 9 am saying "Guest Services", then when we answer the door, the guy is like, "Just confirming you are checking out today." Seriously?!!!! (Check out is not till 11 am, did they need the room earlier, is that why they wanted us out?) Did you really need to come to the door to confirm?! Oh and while he was there, he had a loud argument with another room on the floor in Spanish. So if you don't want to sleep in till 10:00/10:30/11:00, go ahead and stay here and you can get a wake up knock on your door the day you are leaving. The girl at the desk, shook her head when I complained, like oh geez, what was he thinking and apologized but still, why is this guy doing that?

I guess a large party/family was staying in several rooms on our floor. There was loud talking in the hallways and banging of doors due to them leaving the lock in the door, so that people could go in and out between rooms.

Other then that, the room was okay. It was comfortable and big. I really need to get used to the partial curtains that don't close are just for decoration.

Oh and in the room description, it said separate living area. So I was thinking a whole different room. There was like a tiny wall between the couch and the bed. So anyway, there was a couch with a coffee table and a desk. Nothing wrong with it though, it was nice to have to work at the table on the laptop or sit on the couch rather then lay on the bed.

This is the first time staying here and the last, for paying the price that we did, it was not worth the wake up knock. We'll go back to the one on Stockton Blvd, (we never got a wake up knock there) or go to another hotel chain.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We traveled from Portland to Disneyland with a stop over in Elk Grove. After 10 long hours in a car with two teenagers, an 8 yr old and an infant, it was so nice to be greeted warmly. To our surprise, the rooms were new, clean and spacious! The breakfast in the morning was very nice considering the "free" factor. It wash't the most affordable hotel in the neighborhood but for $120 I felt I was getting off good considering I would have otherwise bought breakfast for 5 people!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank rachele92
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is a trip with the family so that standards are a bit different used as a wayside on our way to Anaheim. The place is very clean, close to the Interstate 5 but can't hear it in the rooms, the breakfast is decent including an automatic pancake maker that fascinated the kids. For me there were plenty of outlets around to recharge and hasslefree internet. The location is nice enough to go for a walk in the morning. We used the fridge but didn't need the microwave. Not nice: no bathroom fan, the sofabed is super uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Save room for breakfast.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My husband and I often take over night get aways here in town when our work schedules do not permit us to leave town. We opt for local low key places with spa/ jacuzzi suites whenever possible. We love the jacuzzi suite at the Hampton Inn & Suites just down the road from this hotel however mothers day weekend that suite was not available and neither were any others in the Sacramento area. Holiday inn advertises a Executive Suite with jetted tub on their website for a rate if about $139 on this particular weekend so I booked it. We checked in around 6pm and were given room 203 of a 3 story 60 room hotel. The exterior & lobby were standard Holiday Inn, pleasant but small. Check in was efficient however we were only given one room key and I had to ask for a second. We get to the room, no jetted tub. Before settling in I called the front desk and inquired only to be told the hotel has no rooms with jetted tubs or jacuzzi's. I advised that the website misled us and expressed my unhapppiness only to be told I was lucky to get the rate I did as this room normally goes for $159. Really?? I could care less and the web doesn't advise me of my apparent fortune it just quotes a rate that I agreed to with amenities that I was looking for. After a short and unpleasant quibble over the matter with the MANAGER of the hotel, he advises me to take my concerns up with Holiday Inn Inc. and that was that. He again advises me how happy I should be with my rate regardless of the inaccurate information provided on the website, and clearly was not interested in apologies, accountability or customer satisfaction in any way shape or form. The room was fine. But no where near worth $139 a night and would be a crime to pay $159 a night for. Everything else is basically as described by previous reviews, standard Holiday Inn. If given the choice I would stay home before ever giving this hotel a penny more of our hard earned cash just for the lack of customer service alone and rude entitlement attitude of the staff. One more negative note, garbage stuffed in our ice bucket from previous guest, one shampoo bottle ( no conditioner) one body lotion, one soap. For $140 a night you'd think they're would be toiletries for two and they wouldn't skimp on soap and conditioner. They also had the classy sign in the bathroom informing guests of the costs associated in stealing towels, wash cloths, pillows, blankets ect. A nice little touch. Never, never again Holiday Inn Elk Grove, not that you'd care. And yes we are Holiday Inn rewards members which meant absolutely nothing to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This hotel is just a few blocks off the freeway and is very easy to get in and out of. It takes dogs, although the pet fee is kind of steep at $35. However, it is one of the few hotels in the greater Sacramento area that does take pets (of the hotels you'd want to stay at, anyway). Our room was on the small side in a hotel that looked fairly new, and had nice furnishings that included a king bed, sofa, work desk and chair. One star off for not having many tables in the breakfast area, which could be a problem if the hotel was busy. The usual fare of cereals, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, etc. was provided. We stayed here again on our return trip earlier this month.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed here on a drive down to Los Angeles, CA. This was our second time staying at this hotel, and we'll likely stay again. Rooms are in excellent condition, are very large and clean, and the staff were friendly on both trips. The beds are accurately described as doubles, but we sure wish they'd offer a queen option. This trip included our two young children, so we had to choose the two doubles rather than the one king. This really only impacted my wife and I because our son slept in the other double, and our daughter slept on the pull-out couch. Having the pull-out couch was great because it meant less fighting between the kids! The hotel is convenient to I-5 and there is ample free parking. There are a couple decent restaurants within walking distance; we ate at the sushi place in 2009, and the Chinese place in 2010, and both were quite good. The pool was closed because it is outdoor, but we knew this when we booked it. I prefer places with pools as it's nice to unwind after a long day driving. The free breakfast was typical of Holiday Inn Express; not much in the way of healthy choices, but enough options to get you on the road. We just made a point of finding a grocery store to buy a few fruits and veggies to munch on. Overall, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites Sacramento Elk Grove
The Westin Sacramento
The Westin Sacramento
#18 of 82 in Sacramento

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elk Grove? Share your experiences!