“Best place to stay in the Mendocino area...very romantic”

The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We have been visiting this inn for 10 years now. Always a wonderful visit...great beach down the stairs, Breakfast is wonderful with plenty to choose from. Elaine (inn owner) is always welcoming. We would highly recommend this location for any occasion (anniversary, birthday, etc.) or just to get away for a weekend. Spa visit (massage) was FANTASTIC! Bridget Dolan's and Queenies are great places for lunch/dinner.

There are newer reviews for The Elk Cove Inn & Spa

Reviewed February 11, 2010

A Jewel nestled and perched above their own beach in this serene spot. on the California coast. We've stayed in Mendocino before but Elk and the surrounding Cuffy's Cove is a magnificent spot! Get ready to throttle back and just enjoy long walks on the beach and watching the waves crash on the beautiful rock formations close to shore! Easy beach access right on the property, walk down a few stairs and there you are.
Sharon Garner (http://ssquaredartproductions.com/pages/about.html) made us an absolutely DELICIOUS Wedding Cake which was waiting for us on a silver tray in our room when we arrived. The resort places fresh flowers, a bottle of wine and chocolates in every room also on arrival.
The SurfSong cottage we were originally booked in was quaint but too small and the staff was more than accommodating to upgrade us upon arrival to the George Burke Suite which was perfect. We can't wait to go back for our anniversary!!
Great breakfast with many things to choose from each morning!
Awesome spa experience too!!

Reviewed February 11, 2010

Fabulous location. The Inn is totally comfortable. We had been there before in warm weather. This time we had a serious storm when we arrived and it was wonderful to sit in front of our wood burning stove and watch the wind and rain progress across the Pacific Ocean. Breakfasts are masterpieces with many delicious choices on the buffet that changes every morning. The Innkeeper is very gracious and charming. We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed January 15, 2010

My fiance and I decided to go on a quick two day unplanned spontaneous vacation. We really didn't know where we wanted to go, and just started driving. On our second day we drove from Napa to the coast (Fort Bragg, & Mendocino). We started going south towards Elk, which quickly became a very stressful drive because the cliffs/windy roads. That same night, my fiance was so terrified that we had to stop somewhere.

That somewhere was the Elk Cove Inn. The lady in charge had left before we got there so we used the phone to call and within 5 minutes, she met up with us to help us find a room. She gave us a 20% discount, and gave us a tour of the main house so we could choose which room we wanted. We finally picked the "Molly's Garden" room. This is one of the more affordable rooms but still very cozy. The very nice lady hook us up with a basket with cookies, oranges, popcorn, Mendocino wine, chocolate, the works!

When we got in the room we found a nice little fire place (which came in handy in January!), port, all different kinds of tea, cocoa, coffee, "tension tamer" cream/body lotion (which really helped my fiance relax from the stress of the drive). Everything was very clean and the bedding and bed were unbelievably comfortable. We both slept amazingly well.

The next day we woke up early to watch the sunrise, we went in the gazebo, and then walked down to the beach (the way down was a little hard to find, look for stairs by a weird looking tree). The view there is amazing, a must see! Then we had breakfast which was amazing and very filling. The corn pudding was excellent (they give you the recipe before you leave). All the food was delicious. The lady that cook us breakfast was very friendly and helpful. She gave us directions to take a different road to go back home, and even let us hang out a little bit longer.

Overall, although we only stay for one quick night, this is by far the coziest and most comfortable place I've been. My fiance and I even considered possibly having the wedding there. 5 stars (I put 4 in location just because the drive can be a little scary if you are afraid of heights!). I recommend this place. Book it now!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

When I selected the Elk Cove Inn and Spa for my New Year's Eve destination wedding, I already knew that I loved Elk, but I had never actually seen this particular Inn. We planned the wedding from Los Angeles, and it wasn't until the day before the wedding that I actually set foot on the grounds. I was absolutely stunned. It was just simply everything I could have hoped for and more. Each room was beautiful, unique, and charming, with little extras in every corner. Port wine, cookies, chocolates, soaps... And that was just the beginning! In the morning, we woke up to the most magnificent breakfast...better than I've had at some very pricey buffets, and it comes with your stay at the inn! We had a party of about 25 guests (some of them very hard to please, usually) and EVERY one of them is already talking of planning individual return visits. The staff was warm, friendly, and patient with our late night partying :) I could go on and on, but I suggest you pick up the phone and plan your stay right away! I know I'll definitely be returning as soon as I can.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was my second stay at Elk Cove Inn. My boyfriend and I came for two nights to celebrate our anniversary. We'd reserved a cabin, but were upgraded to one of the suites (George Burke suite, specifically). The room was beautiful and spacious; had a kitchenette with coffee maker, minifridge, microwave, sink, and all needed glasses, dishes, etc. There's a very effective gas heater (it was pretty cold on the coast; perhaps my only complaint is the rooms got a bit dry and could use some humidifying). The bath was large and nice - big jacuzzi tub, separate shower, towel warmer, nice bath products.

The staff is outstanding - friendly, accommodating, and seem to genuinely enjoy their work.

The inn has direct beach access.

The breakfast in plentiful, homemade, and tasty. They offer champagne at breakfast and a complimentary wine/cocktail hour in the afternoon. The room is stocked with port and chocolates, and upon arrival you're given a basket with cookies, wine, popcorn, and fruit.

We had a lovely couples massage and sauna in the modest, comfortable spa.

We took a couple hikes at the nearby parks (Van Damme, Russian Gulch) and picked up groceries in Mendocino.

Overall, a great destination for a romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2009

Review:

"My husband and I spent our 15 yr. anniversary at the Elk Cove Inn & Spa in mid-October of 2009. I thoroughly researched the B&B's along the northeast California coastline and though there are many good choices, this is the best of the best. If you want privacy, gorgeous views and the comforts of home, Elaine and her wonderful staff will make sure your needs will be met. The ocean is in your backyard and the view is superb from most of the rooms - take a tour of the rooms, each one is expertly decorated. Make sure you don't miss the brunch, it was perfect in every way and the food was delicious. We wished we would have planned for at least two nights. If you have the chance, don't miss the opportunity to stay at this charming and lovely get-away!"

All our best,
Anne and Mark

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 25 in Mendocino
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to The Elk Cove Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!