“The Gold Standard”

The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Top of the heap B&B. My wife and I have been coming here the last 9 years or so, 12-15 visits. Why? Yes the setting, coast, and locale are breathtaking and ever-changing. Yes the pace is much more humane and easy going. Yes Elaine (the owner) is constantly improving the physical plant and refining guest services.

That's the 5 star stuff. But the best thing about this inn is the QUALITY STAFF and their commitment to help you have an unforgettable stay. They go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable and blessed. This extra is the 10 star stuff that makes the ECI rise and stay at the top.

And they are fun, too. You can go back there and have a different yet comfortable experience each time.

Looking forward to the next 15. To Elaine and Staff over the years: Thank you so much!

There are newer reviews for The Elk Cove Inn & Spa

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

There is not much to add to the glowing reviews of this property. It is on a very picturesque cove. The staff are all extraordinarily helpful and friendly. The accommodation is well appointed rustic which is well suited to the location. My only complaint? That we checked out. It was a great experience which we intend to repeat.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013

You know how sometimes, you return to a place that was spectacular the first time but it fails to meet up to the memory when you return? Well, I am happy to say at the Elk Cove Inn, you CAN go home again! In fact, it was even better than we remembered. It had been two years since our last visit, but everything and more importantly, everyone was just delightful! What made it better was that we got to experience a different accomodation on the property which was so romantic and spectacular! Please make the flight, or drive, or cycle, or trail run to get yourself to the Elk Cove Inn, sooner rather than later. You will not regret it. And please tell Elaine that Lisa from Wisconsin sent you!

Room Tip: Choose any room they give you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I regularly stop at Elk Cove Inn when we need a break! It is a lovely location quiet and lost in the middle of beautiful sceneries along the wild Pacific Coast. Guest and staff are friendly and breakfasts are delicious. The welcoming basket with an 1/2 bottle of white wine, grapes, strawberries and popcorn is the first item which will put a smile on your face!
The gardens are charming and the walk to the coast full of wildflowers. We highly recommend the Elk Cove Inn to nature lovers, and happy eaters who simply love life!

Room Tip: For more economical budgets, stay on the ground floor toward the garden,. I you can live it up, splu...
1  Thank Annette H
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We've stayed here many times, since even before the Oceanfront Suites building, where we always stay now, went up. The furniture may no longer be brand new but if I'm comfortable with it, you'll probably be too and the suites are very clean, private and quiet. As others have said, Elaine's breakfasts are excellent; an amazing spread. The staff is great too; Elaine finds such great people up there. You can't beat the location, on a bluff above a great beach. Twenty steps or so will put you on a trail that leads 200 yards to the beach or in the other dierction, five minutes to town. There are paths all along the bluff. You can leave your car alone and putter around friendly Elk and hit the beach or hike across the street, though you have to bushwhack a bit as there's not really a trail. There's a little store in town, a lunch place and an Irish pub with passable food, a local museum that's only open 4 hours a week, 11-1 on weekends. But you'll probably want to explore further and hit the road. My favorite hike in the area is in Russian Gulch just north of the town of Mendocino, which we usually follow with a stop at Patterson's Pub in Mendocino for bar food and a beer. Then back to the Elk Cove Inn for an evening picinic as the sun sets. The Botanical Garden just south of Fort Brag is great too.

Bottom line, I'm very picky about where I stay, easily grossed out, hard to please and I love the Elk Cove Inn.

Room Tip: I always book Sam McCanse on the 2nd floor, north side as it's the most private; LE White, on th...
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in Georg Burke rom with a stone terrace to take in the spectacular view of ocean. Room was comfortable, spacious, clean, warmly decorated with an "adirondack" feel. There are charming gardens and an easy walk down to the ocean.
The staff is welcoming and helpful.
I am a good cook and I know good food-
The breakfast was by far the best I have ever had at any bed and breakfast. Many choices in a buffet style with large bowl of delicious cut fresh fruit.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I may be a little biased in that I just got married here last weekend, however my husband and I had stayed at the inn several times to plan our wedding and each experience was wonderful. The staff- Elaine, Mary, Patty and more! are beyond helpful and are so knowledgable about all things local and more. I don't know what I would have done without them! The property sits right on an amazing cliff on the Pacific Ocean, and is absolutely a dream location whether rain or shine.

Our wedding party stayed here for 3-5 days and everyone complemented me on the innkeepers and the gorgeous clean rooms and views and the feeling like one is in paradise.

Last but not least, the free breakfast buffet is not to be missed! Do not sleep in and miss this cornucopia of food delights. It changes daily but there are some standards like the buttermilk biscuits and fruit salad that are unbelievably delicious. I can not recommend Elk Cove Inn more highly, whether for a family reunion, a romantic getaway or a wedding- I have done them all there and had experiences I will never forget. I can not wait to return!

Room Tip: The Cottages are the most romantic and remote rooms. The suites are the largest rooms and have every...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ladyinthelake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 25 in Mendocino
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to The Elk Cove Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!