“Perfect anniversary spot”

The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I've been to Elk Cove twice now, and both times it was just phenomenal. The beauty of the gardens, the scenery, the views, and the cottages is unparalleled. The little details they include - amazing breakfast, lovely staff, welcome basket with goodies and wine, chocolates in your room, comfy bathrobes, spiced cider packets, all sorts of little unique bits of class. Oh! And make sure to take home a handmade mug or two with you. We have found they are among our very favorites, and last beautifully. Thank you, Elaine and the rest of the team at Elk Cove!

Room Tip: Surfsong cottage is the most beautiful cottage, with a gorgeous window seat overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RebeccaBrian
There are newer reviews for The Elk Cove Inn & Spa

Reviewed May 12, 2012

If you are looking for the ABSOLUTE BEST bed and breakfast on the Mendocino coast, look no further... you have found it! I found it about three years ago and was just there last night for my sixth visit!! I'm obsessed and you will be too :)

Room Tip: all of the rooms are wonderful, it just depends on what your budget is... but you won't be disap...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My wife and I chose to stay at the Elk Cove Inn for our anniversary this year and what a great choice that was. Elaine and the other staff/innkeepers were so nice and accommodating. We stayed for 2 nights, Sat and Sun, leaving Monday. Jeff helped us get checked in, greeted us with a welcome basket complete with wine and cookies, as well as a couple pieces of fruit. We stayed in the "Baywatch Room" which was plenty big, large king size bed and a nice large bathroom as well. This room is in the main building on the second floor. Also on the second floor is a very private rooftop deck that I felt I owned since I was the only guest who used it much. Great place to escape for sure.

Now, the breakfast was unbelievable, it really is. Hands down the BEST breakfast I have had at any B&B's we have stayed at. One very nice aspect of this Inn is that they discourage parents from bringing their kids. We wanted to get away, and we were able to with no little ones anywhere to be seen.

Here's the kicker; we booked our room a few months ago. We received an email from the B&B a few days before we arrived asking us if we wanted a free upgrade to an Ocean View room. Ummmm, let me think about that, YES! We booked the Lumber Baron room which I think is one of the lower priced rooms, they upgraded us to a much more expensive room with a great view of the beach and ocean. I thanked Elaine on checkout and she indicated they sometimes do that so that last minute guests can get a room that is less expensive, it's easier to get last minute guests that way.

All around, one of the best getaways we have had. Thank you Elk Cove Inn for making my anniversary this year so special and relaxing. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stumbled upon the Elk Cove Inn on our way up the Mendocio coast. The views were amazing and the inn was cozy and inviting. The staff made us feel like family. Breakfast was incredible. The best part was watching the sun set while enjoying happy hour. My boyfriend and I rarely stay more than one night in a place because we always want to discover something new, but we had to stay a second night at Elk Cove. I hope we will have the opprotunity to return.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

This was our second time to stay a few days at the Elk Cove Inn. Always a great place to de-stress and use as a base for exploring this wonderful section of the northern California coast. The experience delightful as always with gracious hosts, good breakfasts and wonderful quiet! The beach is so close for a nice stroll as is the charming town of Elk. We've always gone during the "shoulder seasons" and during the week, so no crowds.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but for a deluxe time, spend a bit more and get one of the suites with the j...
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Elk Cove Inn for two days to celebrate our 4-year anniversary. This was our first trip to the California coast and we loved every moment of it! The inn has a beautiful view, we loved being able to hear the ocean while we slept. The breakfast was delicious - so many varieties and so fresh! All of the staff were very friendly, and extremely helpful at offering suggestions for wineries (they even gave us coupons for tasting!), dinner (Ravens restaurant is a great vegetarian spot in Mendocino), and local hiking spots (Hendy Woods state park is beautiful). We stayed in Molly's Garden -- it was a very cute and spacious room, we made ample use of the fireplace, and slept so soundly on the wonderful beds. Also, the inn has a balcony on the rooftop where we spent much time gazing at the sky which was littered with stars given how secluded we were. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, and this was the perfect place to stay. Thank you Elk Cove Inn!

Room Tip: We signed up for the package for first time guests. This gave us a discount for our next visit and a...
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great property! Beautiful view and gardens, which sourced the fresh-cut wildflowers in the room. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. From the moment we arrived on the property we were impressed with the level of customer care: each of the staff were genuinely warm and welcoming, and very helpful at offering suggestions for dinner. The breakfast was a feast sure to please all tastes - the fresh fruit, yogurt, and orange mini-scones were my favorite. Loved the thoughtful arrival basket. Good value - we will surely return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 25 in Mendocino
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to The Elk Cove Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!