“"OK" Mexican Food”

LA Paz Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 157 Restaurants in El Segundo
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very family friendly, very plain atmosphere with food to match. You can judge a good mexican restaurant by it's chips and guacamole alone and this establishment serves very bland guacamole. The food is fair, nothing to rave about. The salsa is very decent. They do serve beer which is a plus. Great place to bring a young family as the atmosphere is very plain and simple. I've eaten here three times before posting this review to give the restaurant a fair shake. Would I return...no as there are better Mexican Restaurants in the LA area like El Cholo.

There are newer reviews for LA Paz Restaurant

Reviewed February 2, 2012

People seem to love and rave about this place. Sure, I like Mexican food, but I don't understand the intense love for LaPaz. It's good food with a slightly icky atmosphere. I would only order take out.

I will say that the deluxe burritos are delicious. Yes, they use a lot of sauce, which inspired one posters "burrito soup" comment. Maybe some people get their burritos at Taco Bell and don't realize that real Mexican burritos are usually covered in sauce.

If I were giving a rating exclusively on this burrito, the rating would be higher. I am only giving three stars because the atmosphere feels like a grade school cafeteria or an awkward lunch room, where you have to sit too close to people you either don't know or don't like.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

To start off...My Father and I had visited this restaurant about 3 times before, due to my father liking this restaurant. The atmosphere was okay, the service was good and the food was tasty enough to continue returning to it.
Well, it was my birthday and my dad wanted to take me to dinner. I suggested Mexican food and of course he suggested La Paz. I said, "Okay". When we got there things had changed(it had been about 5 months since our last visit). They had expanded, adding another room. Also, everyone was wearing orange shirts. I asked my dad if they had changed hands(business was sold). He said he didn't think so.
So we grabbed his favorite table and ordered up. He got his favorite - taquitos and I ordered the Carnitas Guadlajara. The service was still good. But, I noticed one thing, the chips seemed to be stale and the quacamola was bland. When our dinners arrived the food was just warm(not hot like before). Also, my carnitas was grilled burned on one side and the spanish rice was bland. I should have sent the food back, but did not want to insult my dad. I ate about half the plate and could eat no more of this miss cooked food.
We finally went to the check out and I asked the lady present if the business had changed hands. She said, "No" and then asked me if anything was wrong. I did not reply with my father there. We left and I mentioned to my dad that I would not like to return to this restaurant due to the food quality. He said, "Okay" and that he was sorry about that happening on my birthday.
Unfortunately, this restaurant has probably changed cooks. The food is overcooked and bland. I will not be going back to this restaurant. My dad agreed that his taquitos were not very good either. It's to bad the this restaurant had changed. It used to be good.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

I am been going with family and friends to the restaurant for about 20 years. Food is very inexpensive and good. Served on hot plates and reminds me of real Mexican food not the El Torito type. If it is atmosphere you are looking for -better venture somewhere else...this is a simple place with good food!

1  Thank CalifSue
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I've been to this restaurant for many years and it is a local favorite in El Segundo. The food is authentic style, always hot and fresh. Not a fancy venue though, as is typical with a lot of the good Mexican restaurants in L.A.

If you are considering it for a first time visit, don't expect an upscale, gourmet, or U.S. chain restaurant style experience. This restaurant is located in a semi-run-down shopping / strip mall, but the food is the draw for the locals.

Salsa is very spicy and there is a plentiful menu to chose from. I definitely recommend this restaurant as one of my favorites for those who are OK with the setting.

1  Thank johnc_19