“A fresh gem in El Segundo”
Review of Farm Stand - CLOSED

Farm Stand
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pine
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We were looking for something new and interesting and found this restaurant on the Main Street of El Segundo. Upon walking in, we knew we found something different. It has two rooms and we requested to sit by the front by the big window for sun and people watching.

The staff was amazing and everybody that walked by our table asked if we needed something even though our waitress was extremely attentive. The menu is the perfect size with dishes that have just a few ingredients each. Everything is "farm to table" and tastes very fresh. We both got the carrot soup, which was a little bland so the fresh pepper helped. We split a delicious house salad with a lemon chive vinagarette dressing that complimented the salad so well. After that we split the special, a chicken ravioli in a basil corriander cream sauce. I loved that the pasta was al dente and could stand up to the chicken. The flourless
chocolate cake we split with vanilla ice cream was heaven on a plate.

The ambience is wonderful and it's a wonderful combination of bohemian museum shop chic. There is a very open feeling in the restaurant without it feeling too big. The music is perfect and there's even a magician that will perform at your table when requested.

A wonderful experience overall. The only reason I gave a 4 is the bland soup and that it took a while to get our menus and drinks at first but after that, the waitress was excellent. I can't wait to go back and try something else.

1  Thank AllieKat26

Reviewed December 12, 2009

My husband and I visited Farm Stand recently after reading several positive reviews online. He was in El Segundo for business and we wanted some place close. Street parking was easy to find on a Wednesday night and downtown El Segundo was very quiet around 7 p.m. when we arrived. Our first impression of the place wasn’t so great however, since it took nearly five minutes for us to get acknowledged and greeted by anyone as we waited at the hostess stand. We were eventually seated and after that service moved at a good pace. We were brought chilled water in a bottle which was left at our table, something always appreciated by myself, as I drink a lot of water and usually have to flag down a server every ten minutes for a refill. Based on other reviewers recommendations we tried the Brie & shared the pumpkin ravioli as appetizers, tried the house salad and soup of the day, which was pumpkin (Side note: I get that it is fall, but three different pumpkin dishes on the menu felt like overkill: soup, pasta AND cheesecake? Definitely lacked creativity), and for entrees I had the Urban lamb and my husband tried the Roquefort filet mignon. Overall we felt the same about all of the food; while fairly tasty there was nothing that blew us away, and nothing felt particularly special. The brie was probably the best seasoned and most balanced of everything we tried; my lamb was nice but the sauce was aggressively sweet, and my hubby’s filet was completely overwhelmed by the cheese sauce. Nothing too special in the presentation either, everything reminded me of a dinner party thrown in a friend’s house. Nice but nothing special.

I would not call this place gourmet, but the prices were reasonable (our bill for two apps, soup & salad, two entrees, lemonade and 1 glass of wine was under one hundred.) I would recommend this place for locals as a nice change from the Olive Garden, but overall can’t really recommend it for foodies like us, who were really hoping for something memorable.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Located very near LAX Airport in old town El Segundo. Food is "urban country" mix of Mediterraniam Iranian, Italian, Turkish. Ambiance is cozy - bistro style- we had a 3 course mix and match for around $16.00 per person plus something like $2.00 for a large glass of house wine. The chef's soup special was hearty vegetable pureed, we both had the farmstyle lamb shank - huge portions - comes with herb rice pilaf, roasted veggie and salad, Home made bread was delicious as is the tiramisu dessert. The restaurant was started in 2006 and rated by Zagaaat as "Top Ten Newc omemrs 2006." Service was solicitous withour being overbearing. A sleeper find. If you are stuck in transit in and around LAX overnight, be sure to try this restaurant

Reviewed August 20, 2009

Just kind of stumbled into this place and wasn't too impressed with the menu. We had a party of three and we ordered Oriental Chicken salad, Pumpkin Ravioli and stuffed bell peppers. They seemingly lost our order but they made up for it by providing us with their delicious stuffed mushrooms. When the food finally arrived it was worth the wait, I shared both the salad and ravioli and they were superior. Our other diner had the bell peppers and he was similarly impressed. If you are within 20 miles of this place, do yourself a favor and stop by.

Reviewed July 9, 2009

We were staying at a LAX airport hotel and wanted some healthy food for dinner the night before our long flight home. Farm Stand more than fit the bill! Fresh and nicely spiced entrees were a delight. The salad was huge and delicious. We also succumbed to the chocolate mousse dessert. A special children's menu is intended to stretch the culinary tastes of the young. Prices are reaonable too -- especially if you choose a family style meal!