“Why didn't they tell me there's no TRAVELDOGE shuttle but a prearranged ride ...”

LAX South Travelodge
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in El Segundo
Waimanalo, Hawaii
Reviewed November 15, 2008

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. It started out BAD, I collected my suitcase and proceeded out to the HOTEL shuttle and courtesy middle island....after 40 minutes and no sign of a TRAVELODGE anything decided to call hotel. Hotel advised that they do not have a shuttle but pick up their guests individually through a taxi service. I wish they told me this when I booked the room. Finally get picked up.. its after midnight. The front desk clerk is kind and gives me an inside room arranges my morning ride to the airport and gives me direction to the convience store right across the side street. He says its safe to go there and come back. Its a gas station type. Room is small and boxy though everything is renovated and sparkly. Bathroom good size. Flat screen TV and comfy bed. Workmanship on tile and interior..ah things could be better matched (tile is cracked). Breakfast great-waffles good, fruit apple and oranges good. Morning girl at desk very nice. Overall OK to ...almost good.

• Liked — location to lax
  • Disliked — noone told me about nonexistant shuttle, you must prearrange
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank lei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 7, 2008

I stayed at the LAX Travelodge South for 7nights.
They had a shuttle from and to the airport (at no extra cost) and that was a good thing.

The room I stayed in was newly renovated. Simple but beautiful. (I have attached a picture).

The guy I met at the front desk - Marc was a great guy. Warm, friendly and helpful. Recommended I took the VIP LA tour and Universal tour and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

Breakfast (self-service continental) was part of the deal. Wireless internet access was included too. Paid less than $600 for 7 nights.

So if you are not looking for bells, whistles and all, I think the Travelodge LAX South is worth checking out.
Excellent value for money!!!

• Liked — Location was best suited for my requirement
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank mrsbom
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed November 1, 2008

The area is actually nice middle of the road residential and very close to the airport. Didn't hear any airport noise. The room I had was remodeled- in fact you could say the paint was drying. They used the same furniture from the 60's though- worn but ok.

The room is very SMALL so i'd only advise you stay on an overnight layover etc. The bathroom was almost as big as the room- the room is that small but the bathroom was nice- all new.

It seems from previous reviews that they have been remodeling for over a year and it shows- the hallway was full of construction mess and the first room I was sent to was full of debris from demolition..lol so don't count on the front desk being in touch!

If you get a good price- I bid $35 on priceline then ok...be low key and friendly at check in to get a decent room and get out and do your business the next day. It was fair value. Don't expect the breakfast to be much- there intentionally was no stocking of the
juice machine as I was there early and it was empty. Cereal, some pastries..ok coffee..they did have waffles you made yourself.

• Liked — Cheap and close to airport for next day international departure
  • Disliked — Private party airport pickup is a bit tricky..but it was a lincoln town car;-)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Seattle
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I need to stay somewhere close to LAX for a couple of nights and found this place online. The room I had was on the first floor and was nicely updated with a new King bed, has newer fixtures and the bathroom a new counter top and everything works fine, although the new faucet wasn't installed properly - it shakes when every time I turned it on!

The place is not very fancy but clean. There was there was an humidity odor in the room, perhaps the previous guests spoiled water on the carpet? Or perhaps they did not turn on the AC so the air was stale? I don't know. But after spraying some air mist and turning on the AC for about 10 minutes, the smell went away for the rest of my stay.

The area of the hotel is not bad and there were a few eateries nearby. The breakfast bar was cute & clean, and you can your own hot waffles there. The weird thing is that they don't have bottled water there, not even for sale!!

Other things I want to mention are: the staffs were friendly and helpful. The room has poor ceiling sound proof (I hear footsteps & noise from the guests above me all the time), but it is a good value hotel if you don't want to spend over 80 bucks a night.
What was really great is that the room has free WI-Fi and you can print out stuff at the breakfast room where there's a desk computer & a printer.

I'd stay here again but Ill make sure to bring my own water and hair conditioner (they only supply the shampoo) before checking in the next time.

• Liked — Convenience and price!
  • Disliked — Not enough parking spots and it could be noisey if you have inconsiderate hotel guests nearby.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank loftylofty
Barcelona
Reviewed August 23, 2008

My feedback about this hotel and the people working on in at Reception can only be very bad.

The room was located besides some works done in other rooms, so the room was very dirty with dust coming from the works. The hotel didn't advised us about this, otherwise I would have gone to another hotel.

I spoke to the receptionist about this, but it seemed to me I was speaking directly into a wall, as no answer came back.

At 6am the truck with the materials for the works arrived and the workers started to work at 7am, doing a lot of noise, using drilling machines, hammers and other noisy tools.

Do a guest have to allow this? Didn't I have the right to sleep as I planned? Didn't I deserve it?

When I went to reception to complain because I needed to sleep, the receptionist didn't even look at me when I was explaining my concerns, nor he said a word nor that he seemed to care about your guests. I did me feel very frustrated.

There were other guests complaining as well about the noise, the dirt, the rooms, so I suppose the complete hotel is in a mess.

But I suppose they did not care about this, as the nights were already charged to my credit card once done the check-in, not when doing the check-out as their ads say.

It was a very bad end for our travel, and not only because of the state of the hotel, but also for the absence of care of your guests. For sure, the worst treatment I have received in any of the hotels I've stayed in.

• Liked — The only thing good is the location near LAX
  • Disliked — Dirt, Rude receptionists, Noise, Dust, Unfriendly
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This is a review for management to consider seriously. Our stay was horrible withe cleanliness and sanitation as a question. Our bad experience was even compounded by an unprofessional approach of the personnel on overnight duty on the date of August 1, 2008. We checked in in the Hotel from our cruise trip in the afternoon. I noticed that sheets are not as clean as I expected it to be. I let it pass and convinced my family that we need to just sleep overnight. We were invited for a dinner by a relative that night. When we arrived back to the unit, my wife saw cockroach inside the bathroom and was forced to kill it to avoid further acceleration and movements. I was informed by my wife in front of the relative that invited us. We informed the duty personnel that time at around 11:00 pm about the situation. It was the worst customer service I ever had experienced. The referred personnel argued that he cannot do anything about it and there is no other room available to move. He was offering us to move out and reimburse our money. I was mad at that response and questioned him if he is trying to eject us off site? I demanded from him that I am willing to move provided you book us in other hotel at the same rate at that present time. He said that he shall call his boss to refere the situation. He finally offerred us a full refund of the money and have us stay over night in front of my relatives. When that personnel sounded like he is ejecting us from the site at wee hours, I was about to contact the authorities and file a complaint about sanitation issues but my relative begged me not to do so due to the fact that he is a friend of the management and also work in the same industry. I even have taken pictures to prove this issues if the management needss proof. In the morning when I checked out, he just gave me a portion of his declaration. I have been waaiting for him in the counter to check out early at 4:45am but he keeps ignoring me by preparing the breakfast. I finally decided to stop him as we need to leave soon as the shuttle is about to arrive as schedule. I did not have enought time to argue. I just accepted everything in stride as it would cost me more if we would be late for our flight. I hope the management of this facility would look into thiss issue as it is critical to customers. I also hope that they would have a more customer oriented staff who knows to handle issues professionally.

On record, our stay was last August 01, 2008 at unit 203. My relative is a total witness to the whole scenario. This management should be thankful to my relative being a good friend of the management for holding me back on reporting to the authorities a serious health and sanitation issue.

• Liked — Excellent Check In Experience
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and Sanitation is a major concern compunded by poor night personnel representation.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Campbelltown NSW
Reviewed June 19, 2008

This was the first hotel we stayed in the USA. I was saving the best hotels for the end of our trip. It was a very wet night. We caught the airport shuttle from LA airport which is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The airport is only five minutes away.

We waited thirty minutes to check in as the guest before us couldn't find his booking on the hotel computer. When we arrived at our room the bed was large and comfy. The sink did not work and we had to get water from the bathtub. The hotel is very old but cheap to stay.

There was only one computer in the dining room with the internet and we had to queue up using coins. The local chinese restuarant delivered and we bought too much food at $50 USD (see the photo).

The LAX Travelodge is okay for a quick stopover but don't expect anything special.

• Liked — Nothing, couldn't wait to get to Anahiem
  • Disliked — Very old rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
LAX Area
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
#85 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to LAX South Travelodge? Share your experiences!