“Not bad but not great”

Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in El Segundo
Reviewed June 11, 2010

This hotel reminds me of what budget hotels used to be like before management took it up a notch and made them attractive to families and business travelers. Everything about this hotel is just okay--not bad, but certainly not great, as I have experienced at other hotels in the same category. The room is clean but just a little tired--old style TV, very thin towels (like the kind my high school locker room used to have). My room was on the ground floor right next to the parking lot and beyond that was the main road so it was a little noisy. Breakfast was a hot buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. Again, just okay. Not really worth the $15 including tax in my opinion but better than going outside the hotel. If I was with a large group or a family it would be worth leaving the hotel to eat. Free parking, free wifi and wired internet (though a little glitchy for me). There is one computer in the lobby for internet use and to print boarding passes.

I think there are better hotels in the area--I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn just down the street but the Courtyard was $40 cheaper on this occasion and I thought I would give it a try. As they say, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo

Reviewed June 10, 2010

This was my 5th or 6th stay at this hotel. It is located 1 block from my customer's office, and literally no more than 10 mins from LAX. So for convenience, it is excellent. However, I feel like every time I stay here, the quality slips a bit more.

On the positive side: location is very good. There are restaurants, a supermarket, Starbucks, etc. within 1 block. Also, there are 2 different high-end shopping plazas very close by on Sepulveda Blvd (toward Manhattan Beach.) I do like that the rooms have a mini-fridge (which are nice and cold), and some rooms have balconies. The pool area is very pleasant, and for the most part, the rooms are quite clean.

What's not so great: the guy that checked me in (probably a manager, he was not in uniform) did not give me the requested room type (and didn't even mention it, I found out when I got up there), never acknowledged my Gold status, and was generally annoyed that my corporate rate was so low.

If the front desk was busy, that would have made sense, but it was me and one other guy checking in with 2 people working the desk.

They no longer offer body lotion in the rooms (which most Courtyards do supply), the bath towels have gotten extremely thin, and they still have the old-style TVs. It was practically impossible to get a free morning newspaper (I checked out at 5 AM today and there were exactly 6 (!) papers sitting out for customers. The day before, there were none left when I came in from my morning run at 7:30 AM.) Also, the free internet (while great to have) was painfully slow.

There is no one thing I can point to, but this hotel needs some work. I think a brush-up on customer service and some additional room amenities (i.e. flat-screen TVs, better towels, body lotion, etc.) would certainly raise this hotel in my opinion. But for now, I consider it average, and actually lower than most other Courtyards I stay in.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I often fly out to the S.Calif area for business and choose to stay at this hotel which is a 5-10 min drive from LAX airport. Convenience is key. Within driving distance, OR if you don't mind walking - their are several restaurants to choose from on Sepulveda Drive. Rooms are cozy and roomy. Insulation is alright, as you may hear "mumbling" from other room guests - but not enough to find it a nuisance. Rooms are provided with a small refrigerator and you get complimentary shampoo, conditioner and bar soap. Anything else, you must bring yourself. They serve breakfast which is adequate and does the job before heading out to your day plans. Overall - great place to stay, convenient and location is a plus.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I came to LA for a one-day meeting & Friday night event. I got to the hotel well before check-in and they allowed an early check-in. I was booked into a King-bedded One Bedroom Suite and I was impressed at how spacious it was for a Courtyard suite - very large room with a minifridge and microwave in the living room area - good internet (sometimes it gets dropped at hotels - didn't have a problem with it at all) - nice to have a room that actually has a balcony as I feel most hotels these days don't have that.

Pool area seemed nice - didn't use it as it was a bit cold (thought LA was supposed to be warm in late April!) Had breakfast at the restaurant - buffet includes cooked to order eggs - bacon was cooked just right - not overly burned or greasy as it in some hotels. Staff was very friendly & accomodating - would definitely stay here again!

One other serious benefit to this hotel is that they have free parking - which doesn't happen too often in the LA area. They also have an airport shuttle - but I didn't need to use it as I had a rental car.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bhatnasx
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Stayed here for just one night because my family and I were flying back out of LAX the next morning. We had just finished a couple days at DisneyLand and I didn't want to worry about traffic from Anaheim to LAX the next morning before our flight.
We were literally there for only 12 hours or so - checked in at night, showered, slept, checked out the next morning.
No complaints - it was quiet, clean and comfortable. Only minutes from LAX but we weren't bothered by any jet noise at all.
Maybe kind of pricey for what is is but that's LA and the LAX area. And it did have free parking and wifi so that helps too.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Dustbow
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I highly recommend this hotel.

Rooms - are quiet, a good size, and full of natural light thanks to a PRIVATE (no one walking by your window) balcony with patio doors leading to it. The bed was very comfortable.

Hotel staff are cordial and helpful. The free airport shuttle was prompt and comfortable. The rates were reasonable and included a free computer and printer for guest use in the lobby.

The location was most convenient. While near the airport (so a short ride), it was a short walk in one direction to many restaurants and to a Ralph's supermarket and it was a pretty short walk in the other direction to a Green Line transit stop.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank oldchemprof
Reviewed December 9, 2009

As the title says the staff were very friendly and helpfull.The rooms were comfortable.I would probably struggle to stay a week here but a couple of days PERFECT.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family