“not bad, not great”

Hyatt Place LAX El Segundo
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in El Segundo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was expecting great things from the Hyatt Place based on reviews and rankings. It was a solid stay, but far short of outstanding.

The Pros: Nice design and quiet location. Couldn't hear trains or planes, but I could hear people walking around in the upstairs room.

Friendly desk staff and shuttle driver from LAX - although it does take 15 minutes for pick - up.

Able to walk to Green Line Mariposa LRT station for easy access to rail system. This is a big plus for those who don't want/need a car in LA.

The Cons: Room needed more attention from cleaning staff. One light bulb was out in the bathroom; one drawer was filled with previous guest's empty shopping bag and a book.

Breakfast was crowded, with buffet out of key items: no hot water for tea, no cutlery, no plain bagels. The wonderful woman who people have written about must have had the day off, as things were definitely not being kept up with. Tables were not cleaned, etc.

Only one small shopping plaza within easy walking distance, with a pizza parlor and sushi joint open on a Sunday evening for dinner.

I've previously stayed at the Residence Inn and would be inclined to return there in future, unless there was a big price difference.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Jacob V, General Manager at Hyatt Place LAX El Segundo, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your most recent stay. We apologize we fell short in some areas during your stay. We do take pride in our facility and work hard to satisfy our guests through our customer service. Please feel free to contact me directly at Jacob.vanderwiel@hyatt.com when your travel plans bring you back to El Segundo and I will personally assist you with your reservation needs. We hope that we will see you soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at Hyatt Place. Very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. It's not a fancy hotel, but definitely one I will go back to for the convenience and price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacob V, General Manager at Hyatt Place LAX El Segundo, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you so much for the great 5 star review. We are glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay. We hope to see you again soon. We will continue to deliver the memorable experience every guest should come to expect from the Hyatt Place El Segundo.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

brand new hotel with very modern design. Room is really large and accents are better than typical business hotels. Very easy access to highways. Breakfast is a bit underwhelming though, some of the hot items are overcooked but variety is satisfying.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I visit Los Angeles every few months for business and leisure and always stay here. The hotel is new, modern, and very clean. The staff is THE BEST I've experienced at similar class hotels. Keena, who works at the breakfast buffet, is a delight and welcomes everyone with a warm smile and friendly hello! She treats guests like long-time friends! The breakfast itself is also among the best I've seen from a "free breakfast" hotel.

The room itself is very spacious with a look and feel way beyond the price of the hotel. There is also a Starbucks and a few restaurants just down the street within walking distance and the hotel is located right off the 105 & 405 freeways, making it a great location to stay for visiting all parts of the Los Angeles area. I've stayed at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn and Courtyard by Marriott before this place was open and I'll always stay here as long as there is availability!

The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport as well, though I have never used it. There is also free parking and free internet, which are both must haves for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CruisingGoddess

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased to here that you enjoyed your stay and you found the location to be perfect for your travel needs. We look forward to welcoming you back to the LAX area very soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is clean and convenient and well-priced. Free internet is very much worth it. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The breakfast is virtually inedible--mostly sugar and starch items, no fruit, though the coffee was quite good.

My issue was with security on the second night of a four-night stay, the front desk issued a key to someone who walked into my room after I had gone to bed. Terrifying. For both of us, actually. They were unable to say how that happened or provide any assurance that it would not happen again. I was given a new key. When I returned to the hotel the next day, that key had been deactivated with no explanation.

On my last night there, a homeless person was in the parking lot, shouting at people. When I told the front desk, they did nothing about it.

Given that this hotel is in a fairly remote area, and that you may have to walk a ways from your car to the entrance, it doesn't really feel like a safe place to stay. I'm an athletic guy, and I felt intimidated and unsafe here; I can't imagine what others might feel, particularly if confronted in the parking lot on the side of the hotel.

They really need to work on the security of the place before I would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher B
Jacob V, Manager at Hyatt Place LAX El Segundo, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review our hotel. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. In addition, please know that your comments and issues with our hotel security will be addressed and resolved. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and hope to welcome you back to the LAX area in the very near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I've stayed at more than a dozen LAX hotels over the past 20 years. This new Hyatt Place is my fav, next to the Hilton and Renaissance.

I stayed here during the first month it had opened and at least 6 or 7 more times in the past year, most over the summer....and the hotel is superb. Small teething issues, but they have smoothed out over time (expected with new properties).

Staff are pleasant and helpful, (Voilet and Mary) the manager, Jacob is awesome!! (unlike the Hyatt House nearby)...he cares about the property and the guest experience.

The new design is hip, but not overly so... all types will love it. The rooms are well appointed, with large flat screens, and I need to say the following. Most hotels except for super high end offer 10-20 channels, Hyatt Place's seem to have over 50...which is nice when one is on the road and say wishes to watch HGTV or the Cartoon channel etc... so its cool and having a fridge helps (microwave downstairs).

The showers are ok (needs more water pressure). Slightly better blackout shades would be helpful. Lots of parking, although can get crowded late at night, but always a space.

The hotel also features an electric plug in for cars! Major selling point (not sure why they do not feature this up front in ads)

This property also has suites (great for families) or long stays.

Nice gym. Laundry room ($2 for wash $2 to dry)...again helpful when on the road for long periods. Nice pool, FREE WIFI and Breakfast. The lady who hosts breakfast (Keena) is amazing and so kind to everyone.

10 minute ride on the free shuttle bus to the terminals.

5 min drive to local shops and restaurants. There are 2 shopping malls (inc Macys) close by and larger malls are a quick 10 min trip north or south on the freeway 405 (except during rush hour). the 405 and 105 freeways are close by (check your map) since there is a hidden away on ramp to the 105 /405 - 30 seconds from the hotel!

Enjoy your stay

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 1blokeCA
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel was excellent. Just recently opened and so clean and new.
Breakfast was included in the price and was very tasty. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel has washing machines and dryers which is always what I like to look out for as it helps when you are on holiday for three weeks.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful breakfast and guest laundry during your vacation. My team looks forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to sunny California.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Segundo
Westside
Hyatt Regency Los Angeles International Airport
Cambria LAX
#5 of 13 in El Segundo

Been to Hyatt Place LAX El Segundo? Share your experiences!