Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in El Segundo
New York
“Yuck”
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I chose it for proximity to the airport and freeways. Although the reviews are good this place is dumpy. The carpets are worn and feel dirty, room interior needs upgrading as well. Breakfast is average and the fitness room is small. Only pluses were the double B/R and gas fireplace. First and last stay at this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnElSeg, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear j29New York:

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

I apologize for your experience while staying at our hotel. You are very important to us and your feedback allows to take care of any concerns. I can assure you that the upkeep of the hotel is of high priority. Your experience is not a normal occurance and my team and I hope you will give us another opportunity to make your stay better the next time you are in the area.

We have reached to you and we hope to hear from you very soon.

Best,

Mari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
El Segundo, California
Reviewed October 3, 2012

If you have to stary in the Los Angeles area, two days or two years, the Residence Inn on El Segundo (3 miles to teh airport, maybe less) is the place to stay. Parking is FREE!

Ask to speak with Mari and tell her Eric sent you - maybe you'll get a special deal.

Long-term or short-term residents get the same excellent service. At this Residence Inn, you can guarantee they will do everythng possible to make your stay the best ever.

I get far more than I have come to expect from a "chain" hotel. They treat me and others the same; as if I was the only person they have to deal with. I have seen folks come in late at night on crowded days and the staff is quick to accomodate these unexpected arrivals.

Everyone smiles when you walk through the facilities. It's great to know the employees enjoy where they work. The grounds are kept manicured (they scrub the chairs, and trim the bushes), and the serving staff for breakfast (7 days a week) and dinner gathering (4 evenings a week) actually does an excellent job keeping up with a "house full" of residents.

You can't beat the staff behind the counter and behind the scenes. I have gotten to know just about everyone and they are quite the interesting bunch of hard workers, anxious to please.

Make your reservations early because this place stays full of; vacationers, casual business folks, weekend getaways and a group of us long-term residents.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This Residence Inn is perfectly located: it is close enough to the LAX airport to have a shuttle service (about a 10 min. drive), yet far enough away to avoid all the airport noise and heavy traffic. The property consists of two traditional hotel-style buildings, with interior corridors and key entry exterior doors. This is an important and much appreciated safety feature, especially in big cities like LA.
Our suite was a spacious studio, with inviting decor, full kitchen, and very comfortable bed and pillows. Everything was sparkling clean and in working order, and the air conditioner was blissfully quiet. It was the ideal stop for us jet-lagged travelers to rest and relax. Free internet connection was easy, fast and uninterrupted.
Within a 15-minute walk (less than a mile) are several restaurants, a drug store and a nice Ralph's super market. You can use side roads to avoid the noise and traffic on Sepulveda Blvd. In the morning the Residence Inn puts out a beautiful and delicious full breakfast buffet with enough choices to satisfy all appetites.
The entire staff's superior service and attention to details is truly commendable. We want to recognize Elena Schipor, the Sales Coordinator for the Residence Inn. She sent us a personal email a few days prior to arrival, inquiring about special needs. How's that for a welcome! Yes, we like Marriott's hospitality very much! We will be back.

PS: This Residence Inn is not just for travelers in & out of LAX. With metro, buses, and easy access to I-405, this is a great base to explore all that LA has to offer.

Room Tip: We asked and received a very quiet room on the third floor in the South building, facing West.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My family stayed at the Residence Inn El Segundo on September 2nd, 2012 for 3 nights. We were in town for a very special delivery of our 2nd child adopted from Korea, so we decided to fly in a few days before and see the sights LA has to offer. We chose the Residence Inn based on it's location. Nothing is "central" in LA if you are going to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Disneyland, etc., so we figured we may as well stay near LAX as it was as good of a location as any.
When we checked in, Florinda was at the front desk and I'd like to give a shout out to her because she was by far the nicest person I have every dealt with at a hotel front desk/check-in before. I am a travel professional, so I hear horror stories all of the time about terrible service at hotels, but this was one I would only give a glowing review for.
The hotel was super clean throughout, which is one of the most important things to me. It offers an ample breakfast daily in the lobby area and the kept it fresh with different offerings each day. They also offer a complimentary reception M-F, which we never got to attend, but the menu was on the fridge in the room and it seemed like we could have made that our dinner had we wanted to.
The only downfall to the hotel, and it has nothing to do with the service, is that you can't get to any rooms without going outside. The lobby is not connected to a hallway that takes you to any rooms, so if it happens to be raining I could see this being a little inconvenient, but this is a design/architecture flaw, nothing to do with the hotel staff/service.
Plenty of restaurants within a few miles, free airport shuttle, and the BEST staff you could ever ask for. I give the Residence Inn El Segundo two thumbs up, hands down!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My family and I have stayed at The Residence Inn by Marriott numerous times. We have always had a great stay. This Residence Inn/Elsegundo goes way beyond, what is already an outstanding experience, to accomodate our slightest whim. The 1 bedroom suites are always clean and inviting. The suites have large screen TV's in the livingroom and bedroom. The kitchen is very complete including a full size refrigerator, micro, toaster, coffee maker and dishwasher.
One of the best features of the hotels is a compliementary wonderful complete breakfast each morning. Some items are waffles, eggs, sausage or bacon, orange juice and too many items to mention. Also complimentary is a cocktail time each evening. They have different food items each day Mon.-Thurs. including beer and wine. Menus are posted in each room at the beginning of the week.
This hotel is in an excellent area of El Segundo/Los Angeles. It is withing 10 min. of LAX where they also offer a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. Believe me, if you want a pleasent experience look no further when your travels bring you to the LAX area.

Room Tip: rooms in the main building are convenient to the pool and diningroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
new york
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here overnight so as to catch an early AM flight to Mexico. I booked the place b/c it is, IMHO, a great value. Besides the Marriott value and quality, you get a PM hospitality hour and a complimentary breakfast the next day. In addition, they have an on call shuttle to the airport.

However, the better places show their worth when things go wrong, and here they almost did. Upon our arrival, the shuttle was caught in an accident related traffic jam (they did not cause it, but were caught up in the resulting traffic jam). The front desk told us to take a taxi for which they would reimburse us (which they did). Unfortunately, the taxi dispatcher gave us to one crazy taxi driver who insisted there was no Residence Inn in El Segundo. In fact, it is a short 10 minute ride away. Even when shown our reservation complete w/the Inn's address, he insisted it was someplace us. I called the front desk and Fred, in a cool and professional matter, spoke w/the driver, assured him the Inn was at the listed address and gave him detailed directions. Unfortunately, the driver would not listen and we demanded another driver who got us there w/no problems.

Further, throughout our stay, Fred asked us if everything was to our liking and was truly a great host. We really appreciated the personal interest. The next morning, the desk personnel insured that the shuttle was on time and got us off to an on time start.

This place is well worth the stay and if I am ever in the area again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: If you have a group and want to BBQ, there's facilities available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here for almost 6 weeks as the first part step in finding a place to live in the Los Angeles Area after a transfer in jobs. I wish I recalled his name, but one of the employees a the front desk, a young male, was highly professional and belongs in one of the top 5 star hotels in New York.

First the good. The grounds are the nicest in the area, and as far as the employees, most of them are very professional, woth only a couple of glitches. The rooms are fairly comfortable, though a little small for an extended stay. The area is quiet and safe and off the beaten path of Sepulveda Blvd. In terms of pricing and accomodations and amenities, it is absolutely the best overall value in the area.

They are animal friendly as well so if you need long term accomodations and have pets, this is a good choice.

Sort of a neutral point - the food is good, but it is all pre-prepared and packaged because they do not have a full kitchen. The flavors are monotonous and it gets tired after awhile. Also some of the customers hoard the food, so they run out so if you eat near the end of the scheduled period, they may have run out of food.

Now some problems we encountered. We were there in a one bedroom and had a 4 year old and a 17 year old. The televisions (both of them) simply did not work. We called and the mainttenance man would jiggle the wires, and it would work, and then he would leave. Then the tv would work for about one minute, and sfail again. We kept complaining but were not taken seriously, and after a week of being treated like we were delusional about the TV not working, and with 2 very unhappy kids, I was finally fed up and videotaped how the televisions were not working. I made the front desk clerk sit through 10 minutes of the video so she could fully understand what we needed to watch- and his made the point, and the hotel did finally replace the bad splitter that was causing all of the trouble with both tv's, and gave us restitution - but it should have been handled better, and caused us a ton of unnecessary grief just because they didn't care enough or take us seriously enough to actually fix the problem. I hope the experience for them will cause them to take this type of a complaint more seriously.

Second issue is the wifi. They have wifi-but it is brutally slow. Which means they basically do not have wi-fi as advertised. I even tried plugging into the hardwire they have with a network cable, but it was still just as slow. Slow enough to be unusable. The signal was weak to, but even if I was in the lobby and the signal was strong - the internet service was still slow. We ended up spending over $180 during our stay for internet service using our verizon hot spot because the service was unbearable. If you must have wifi - you should choose a different place to stay.

A final note - in this area they charge a hotel tax, but every single hotel in the area will refund it if you stay over 30 days because at that point you become a resident and under the rules of that tax - but here they keep the tax.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cambria El Segundo
#11 of 14 in El Segundo
LAX Area
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard

Been to Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo? Share your experiences!