“Great B&B for Yosemite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Portal
Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn
You added Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 1 El Portal B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Great B&B for Yosemite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We spent two nights here and would definitely recommend it. The B&B is tucked away in the middle of a motel complex but is actually in a beautiful location right on the river with amazing views from the back of the house. The hosts/owners, are a very friendly, knowledgable couple who are very welcoming and full of interesting conversation. Our room was very clean and comfortable as was the en suite bathroom. The home-made breakfasts each morning were absolutely fantastic. It is a very short drive (maybe 10 minutes) from here to the gate where you pay admission to Yosemite.
The previous negative review is hilarious - this is a b&b, of course the owners live there, that is the whole idea!

Room Tip: We had a downstaris room, right next to the kitchen. This meant it got a bit noisy in the morning t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at the Blue Butterfly Inn near the entrance of Yosemite National Park just a few weeks ago. The owners, Liz and Ron are delightful people who have decorated their lovely home with fine antiques and beautiful accessories. You will be greeted by a stunning stained glass door, which the owner Liz designed herself. Our room was hugh and very sunny with an absolutely gorgeous view of the river. Wonderful breakfasts , great conversations and hospitality will be the start of your day at the Inn. The location is perfect as the entrance to the park is just minutes away. If we go back to Yosemite, we will stay at the Blue Butterfly again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ventnor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The previous reviewer should read the small print, Liz & Ron hid nothing and it was a very nice B&B. Great hosts, delightful fellow guests and nice clean, spacious rooms. I think they are amazing battling the developers and still hanging on in there despite everything. Lovely breakfasts and knowledgeable folk about the area, which was very helpful. Even got us advice about the pass and got us over before the first snowfall of the season shut it. Certainly did not feel awkward at all and so good to be so near the entrance of Yosemite. A lucky find....... ps the motel is more expensive!!!!

Room Tip: Back of house I'm guessing would be quieter. We slept like logs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caz M
Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spend two nights for our Honeymoon in Yosemite Blue Butterfly in September 2.012. We really enjoy there. Our room (The Lotus) was amazing, very big, clean and with a balcony. This balcony has a good views. It was beautiful see the sunrise and sunset in our balcony, we also heared bears so we could enjoy the nature in a secure way. For us, was beautiful. We also enjoy the breakfast that Liz did. In the afternoon, we spoke with them when we finished our day and with other guests. Ron had a lot of interesting histories, so spend a little time listening to him.
Thank you for all Ron & Liz. Hope to see you next time in Spain! ;O)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Haarlem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently took a 6 weeks trip to the southwest, and stayed in the Blue Butterfly Inn for 3 days. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Having stayed at a good number of b & b's during our trip, we found that Liz and Ron qualify as the best hosts we have met. Indeed, they do live on the premises, but we did not feel intruders at all. We admired the way in which they combine private life with business.

We booked the room with the king bed, and did not have a balcony, but we could sit on the deck of the house at any time during the day, so that was not an issue. The rooms are very well appointed, with antique furniture and wooden floors. Being Dutch, I do not usually take a cooked breakfast and had bread and/or cereals instead, but my husband enjoyed his cooked breakfast.

As to the location: yes, it is next to a typical American park motel. Once inside the Inn and on its deck, one does not notice this any longer. Having been in many national parks over the last five years, we would think it is difficult to find a nicer place to stay at than the Inn.

Last but not least, we liked the atmosphere and thoroughly enjoyed the lively conversations with Ron, Liz and our fellow guests on the deck in the early evening. This really distinghuises the Inn from the other nice places we have visited on this trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I don't often write reviews, but I do read them and, like another reviewer mentioned, I will be very skeptical of reviews left on TripAdvisor in the future. My main observation / concern is that, having stayed in many, varied hotels, B&B's and hostels, I simply do not believe that this place has 263 genuine "excellent reviews". Allow me to elaborate:

1) Location - is essentially in a car park for a large and ugly motel complex - this is not mentioned anywhere on the website, nor indicated in the driving instructions / maps provided online. If I'd known I was staying in the motel complex I'd have settled for a substantially cheaper room at the motel; the view of the river and mountains is the same.
2) Curfew: really? For $280 per night you'd think I could come and go as I pleased.
3) Value for money - the rooms are large, but not well appointed - not many conveniences you'd expect for the price, and the little signs of rules everywhere not to do this or that did not create a relaxing atmosphere. Also our room had no curtains.
4) Owners: sort of half lived in the house and ate dinner there - one evening we came back to the B&B to the smell of frying fish; as you enter the B&B you could see the proprietors eating their evening meal - I felt like I was intruding on their private time which was awkward. But the smell of fish was worse, especially for my pregnant wife.
5) Atmosphere - as mentioned above was awkward at best; I didn't feel at all relaxed - just sort of uncomfortable, we couldn't wait to leave. Which at the price was an awful feeling, hence we felt duped by the whole 263 "excellent reviews".
6) Finally some of the comments from the proprietor about visitors to the park and people from different countries/cultures were extremely ignorant (at best) and my wife and I were really shocked.

For my money - I'd have either spent more to stay in the park, or stayed in motel and had an easy, enjoyable time of it. Take the "excellent" reviews with a very large pinch of salt - the statistics do not add up in my mind. And just to prove that we did stay there I have added some lovely pictures.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
26 Thank The_Great_Danton
Yosemiteblue, Owner at Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2015
All our reviews are "authentic"...and some, like this one, are not especially accurate.
1. Our location is clearly shown on the map on our web pages. This "motel complex" area is the only area where commercial building is allowed on the banks of the merced river because it has since been deemed a "wild and scenic river".
2.We do not have a "curfew"...we just ask that you ask for a key if you are going to be out later than 10pm...as so many guests lose room keys, we want to be especially careful about the keys to the outside door of our home.
3. I truly don't know what this guest meant about the rooms not being "well appointed"...we do not have TVs, but, when considering "value for the money"... unlike the adjacent motel. Wi-Fi is free here and you get an excellent breakfast, too,which costs over $10 each at the restaurant nearby). These things should be considered when figuring the cost of a room at the nearby motel. This room has nice drapes on all the windows through which anyone could possibly see into the room.
4.Owners or managers must, by county ordinance live in a B&B full time...all night, too...and we do eat there.. it is our home....sorry the fish smell offended.
5. Sorry these guests felt uncomfortable...most guests do not.
6. Note how many times the price is mentioned in this review...I do wish this writer would have simply compared the price at the adjacent motel, and various other lodging facilities in the Yosemite area...our prices are definitely competitive and comparable...and we have WI-Fi, and include a full, cooked breakfast.7
7.Sorry these guests were "shocked' about some of the conversation...it is rather shocking that some guests are so very unprepared for these mountains (hiking in 'flip-flops, etc.), and expecting the food to be just like the home country...to us that is the joy of traveling...to experience other cultures...but not all feel that way. We welcome all guests from all cultures...and enjoy their company.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were visiting Yosemite in June and it's difficult to find a good place to stay. A lot of the time if we are going to a national park, I'll try to stay at a lodge if they have one. Unfortunately everything gets booked up way ahead of time in Yosemite and I couldn't find anything other than in Wawona. Wawona is a good hour drive to get into the Yosemite Valley and I do a lot of photography and like to be on site for sunrise and sunset. The extra hour would have made things a lot more difficult. Luckily we found the Blue Butterfly B&B, and they are VERY close to the Yosemite gate, so it's very convenient. We were going to be staying 4 nights, but none of the rooms were available 4 consecutive nights. Ron & Liz suggested we stay in one room 2 nights and then switch to another for the next 2. We were a little worried about having to move our luggage (lots of bags since we were on a 2 week trip, and also my photography equipment case). They were kind enough to move the bags to the other room for us so we did not have to stick around until the other guests checked out at 11am and I could get into the valley for my sunrise shots. Liz and Ron are great hosts, and we had some great discussions with them while we were there. Their place is in the middle of a large complex of a commercial hotel, but it's really not hard to find. Plan your time effectively, because there is only 1 restaurant (attached to the hotel), and a pizza/wing/salad place next door. If you spend a lot of time in the valley you might be getting back late. I was a bit nervous about my staying out too late and getting to dinner late because of some of the other reviews on here. I can say that Liz & Ron were very gracious about this and we had absolutely no problems. I inquired about getting a front door key if I wanted to do some star photography at night in the valley, and they said it would be no problem. I did not end up taking them up on the offer, but it was there. People who have a problem with being in by a certain hour, or who want to party late should probably stay elsewhere. The people staying there, were serious adults who enjoyed their time together, and understood the need for their B&B guidelines. If we visite Yosemite again, we will definitely be staying at the Blue Butterfly Inn B&B!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Half Dome Village
Half Dome Village
#3 of 25 in Yosemite National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 3,360 reviews

Been to Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn? Share your experiences!