All reviewsyosemite national parkclosest townlocation location locationshort drivewould stay againliving roomstayed here for nightsfridgeelectricityaccommodationslodgingconvenience
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We needed a tent site as near as possible to the entrance of Yosemite and chose this one sight unseen. Won't be returning. We found tiny tent lots on hard packed dirt, neighbors 10 feet away on both sides, and constant dust swirling in the air. There were two mens' toilets for the entire packed campsite.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SteveD784
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Indian Flats is in a great location for those who want to visit Yosemite National Park. It is the closest RV park to the west entrance and a short 30 minutes from Yosemite Valley. You can take the local YARTS bus system to the valley from the lodge next door for a small fee then take the free shuttles inside the park. We camped in a motorhome and since the busses were available, their was no need to tow a car. However, Indian Flats is an old, run down park and the people who run it could care less. They truly act as if they know that you are stuck with them due to their great location. If you have an option of towing a vehicle then I suggest camping at one of the nicer parks before the city of El Portal. Unless, you are one of the lucky ones that can reserve a dry camp site inside the National Park. Besides full hook-ups, you literally get nothing else for your $60.00 per night. There is no play park, no fires allowed on the RV sites, restrooms are not fit for humans, and the only pool available is next door at the lodge. Of course the only way to get there is to hike across a small creek at the back of the park. As for the employees, they would not even allow me to make an 800 number phone call from their office phone as cell service is not available in El Portal. They had no knowledge of anything useful in Yosemite. I was lucky enough to receive information from a housekeeper who has lived in the area for 20 years.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank chris6333
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We just spent 3 days and nights (7-9-2012 thru 7-12-2012) at Indian Flat RV Park with the Family... The wife and two kids (ages 10 and 14), and I decided to make Indian Flat our base camp for our trip to Yosemite National Park.

Gotta say it was a great time considering that it was averaging 100 degrees everyday but the Merced River was there to help forget about the heat for all of us!

Monday arrived at 11am, checked in, unpacked, hit the river, had a blast, cooked burgers back at tent cabin, relaxed, went to sleep.

Tuesday woke up early ate a simple breakfast, was on the road to Yosemite for our 8.30 am tour to Glacier Point and 4 mile hike down. Drove back to Indian Flat, hit the river, cooked ribs at tent cabin, relaxed til bed time.

Wenesday woke up had breakfast buffet at hotel next door which was ok, hit the river all day to swim and catch fish, had dinner great dinner at Yosemite View Lodge up towards the enterance of Yosemite, packed up a little, relaxed till bed time.

Thursday woke up, packed the 2012 Ford Escape then hit the road back to Los Angeles!

This was our Families first simi-camping experience and we decided to rent out the 1 of 5 Tent Cabins they have in the campground. Ours was nestled behind the office building against the hillside and shaded from the afternoon sun.

The Tent Cabin was pretty simple with no running water or electricity which we expected, a wooden frame with a thick tent material, solid wooden floors, 3 sliding windows with screens and a front door with sliding window and screen, and 2 twin size beds which each of our kids claimed so we were able to fit a queen sized inflatable bed which fit between the twin beds just perfect with NO walking space in between the beds so we got in from the foot of all beds which was fine.

There was still plenty of room for our little camping tables and all our individual duffle bags with clothes, and crates of food and other camping gear! Though I had to get creative with the space it was great and used the space wisely!

Directly outside our door was our ample sized patio area with out own picnic table and where we kept out cooler and Smokey Joe Grill where we cooked our burgers the first night, beef and pork ribs the second night with a surprise catch of the day... A Rainbow Trout I caught right across the road in the Merced River (using another visitors fishing pole) which happens to be the swimming hole we all used! I was so excited about catch my first ever Trout and it was delisious!

I was so excited about catching my first trout we decided to stay at the Merced River all day to swim and catch trout. The problem is I didn't have a fishing pole or gear! I spoke to a fellow visitor and he told me how his 10 year old caught a trout with a fishing line on his finger and a hook and worm! So thanks to Keith from the Indian Flat office he gave me about 7' of fishing line and a small hook, I tied the line to a small stick and using Periwinkles I caught in the river as bait, I ended up catching 5 nice sized trout and my Son caught his first for a total of 6 trouts! That was AWESOME!

I've read the complaints and think that the people are way off base with there expectations... that's not to say that what they experienced wasn't true but I was told what to expect by the staff at Indian Flat RV Park. I was told of cancelation fees, I was told about the options I had available from fully functional cabins, to whine Tent Cabin we chose for this trip! The staff were nice and found them to be helpful and direct with everything.

We DEFINATLY plan to return to Indian Flat and will upgrade to the full functional Cabin! I saw what the Rock Cabin looked like and it was nice!

I would also park an RV there, but know that YES they do try to fit as many rv's as possible and it can be crowded!

I would also rent a Tent Cabin there again as long as it one of the ones behind the office!

I would NEVER bring my own tent and camp there, it just doesn't seem like the place to do it, its too hot and exposed to the sun!

We never had any problem with using any of the bathrooms or showers or sinks to wash our cooking stuff even though there were a lot of people there. Timing is everything!

The place was clean, yes the place has dirt and can be dusty because of vehicles pulling in and out but we really never were affected by it at our site!

I can go on detailing everything but I think you got the gist of our time there! I'll see how many photos I can post here but I'll be posting photos on my FB and maybe on Flickr.com, just search Indian Flat Yosemite!

If you have any questions call Keith or Don at Indian Flat RV office and I'm sure they'll do the best to answer them as they did with us!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank RaulGee
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Dusty, dusty, dusty!! The space for our 5th wheet was so small, we were forced to put the picnic table literally in the dirt drive way and sit in swirling dust everytime someone drove thru. The so-called bbq for our space was not only in the far back corner for the space but the bottom was completly burned out making it totally unusable. The "cable" gave us one channel and we were never advised that we not only could use the pool at the hotel next door but that we could also have used the laundry facility at the hotel down the road.

The positives: proximinty to Yosemite and then we had great neighbors! We all felt like we were sitting in a bad dream having to camp there.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Sherry S
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed in the stone cabin which is really cool looking from the outside (built in 1938) but just like a motel room on the inside so you don't have any real sense that you're staying in a cabin. We were looking for reasonable accomodations close to Yosemite and this fit the bill. The cabin itselt was clean and comfortable. It's right in the middle of everything at the RV park so when you step outside what could have been pretty view is obscured by RVs. We'd stay here again just because of the price-it was ok.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple