“avoid this place”

Indian Flat Campground
santra cruz
“avoid this place”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

loud dusty campground by the highway, greedy owner will not give a refund even if you never set up tent..avoid this place!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank jim h

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

had everything we needed for an RV park including an hotel next door with a swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mav1244
Woodside, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We made reservations for two nights and we could not make it to the first night. Manager claims that he told me of the cancellation policy, which I don't recall. But I do clearly recall that he would charge my card when I got there. When I arrived, we disagreed about whether he told me of the cancellation policy and what finally ticked me off was that he charged my card before I even got to the campground! What was worse was his lack of customer service skills - at one point he told me to "get out"! I mean at that point isn't it just plain dumb to refuse a potential customer? Needless to say, I did get out of there because what's the point of arguing with a manager who doesn't even know the meaning of "service"?; as I left saying "we don't need this kind of service", he scoffed at me saying "service? what service?"

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dhwan

Travelers are raving about these El Portal hotels

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We booked this place for three nights due to it's proximity to Yosemite Valley of course, and based on the one picture on their web site it looked okay. It was not... this place crams RVs, Campers, and Tents into every nook and cranny, so you have no space and no privacy whatsoever. Then, it expects everyone to use 1 restroom. The roads around it are not paved, so kids can not really ride their bikes and it plays host to tons of folks renting RVs and just stopping in for the night on their way to Yosemite Valley. (I won't get into how I saw several RV renters accidentally discharge their sewer lines right onto the ground.) Overall this place was a dump and our camp site was right up against the highway, heard cars all night. The only bright spot was that we got to use the pool at the hotel next door.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank clancellotti
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Lets be real, folks. This RV Park and Campground only exists because Yosemite is insanely popular. People decide they want to camp in Yosemite and quickly realize the campsites all get booked 6 months in advanced. That's what happened to me. I booked a month ahead of our trip but that wasn't soon enough for Yosemite so I was forced to look elsewhere and ended up camping here.

The campground is kind of a joke. They squeeze every last person they can get on here so there's absolutely no privacy. They have one bathroom building for the entire property and a total of 1 men's shower and 1 women's shower and then 2 men/women's shower which brings the grand total to 3 showers per gender. There's about 150 campsites at this location so you can quickly understand why nobody comes here on their own. But considering that they are constantly packed, I don't understand why they haven't upgraded their facilities. Just build a nice bathroom/shower building that can hold enough people and you will have repeat customers.

I hope that gives you a good picture for what this campsite is like. If you didn't plan far enough ahead for Yosemite then you don't really have a choice (unless you pay more for the hotel next door or down the street) This site is very close to Yosemite, however, which makes it very convenient.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nelagster
South Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Ok, I am not the outdoor, country person type....but I fell in love with Yosemite. We booked a cabin at Indian Flat. They have an RV Campground and a camp site as well as hotel with pool, grocery store and restaurant. We stayed at a cabin with a bedroom, living room that has a couch (2 people can sleep there) and you have to double beds in the room, kitchenette w/stove and fridge (pots, pans, plates and utensils) and own private bathroom. We loved it even though we feel a little guilty that everyone else around us was camping and roughing it out. The cabin was my kind of camping and being that we were not locals, our only choice other than the hotel. Everything was sold out so make sure you plan your trip ahead of time; we tried to extend our stay there but they had no rooms available anywhere. The staff was very helpful...when we first went into the the cabin the a/c was not working but when we called the front desk they sent someone that got the a/c to work. I highly recommend this place. This place is only 10 minutes away from Yosemite's main entrance.

Room Tip: Please reserve ahead of time.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank SouthFloridaCoolmom
Redondo Beach
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We camped at Indian Flat Campground for the first time in early June 2010. We had an unplanned visit from family in the Midwest. Our guest wanted to visit and camp at Yosemite so we were forced for the first time to camp outside of Yosemite Valley since we didn’t have the five-month-in-advance reservations requisite for Yosemite Valley camping. This campground is an easy 20-minute drive to the Valley. The campsites are small. Additionally, management will allow as many tents on one site as will physically fit. Many of the sites had large groups of campers on them with half a dozen tents or more with maybe a dozen people or more. In spite of that, the groups of young people and young adults were well-supervised, well-behaved, and respectful of campsite boundaries. There are bear boxes for your food, but the front-desk person reported that they’d never had a bear incident. It was warmer at this location than in the Valley because they are at a much lower elevation than the Valley floor. There are plenty of trees and shade for most of the campsites. You are assigned your site in the order you arrive so the earlier you arrive presumably the better shaded and situated site you will camp on. They could use a few more showers but the showers are hot which counts for a lot. They are only marginally clean enough to not lodge a complaint. Make sure you have a cheap pair of flip-flops so you don’t have to make contact with anything except the hot and cold water handles. There are electrical plug-ins in the bathrooms. With all of that in mind, this is the closest campground outside of Yosemite National Park to the Valley floor. It’s quick and easy to drive in and out during the day if the need arises. And in early June they still had sites available that they were renting to people just stopping in who had reservations nowhere, so it can be a lifesaver for the tired traveler headed for Yosemite National Park.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,729 reviews
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacation Rentals
Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacati...
#4 of 24 in Yosemite National Park

Been to Indian Flat Campground? Share your experiences!