“Not what you expect”

Cedar Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in El Portal
“Not what you expect”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our trip to Yosemite we booked Cedar lodge due to location. Well that is the only thing good about it. Dirty,dingy,doors have huge gaps,workers hanging outside around parking,was not comfortable with them.couple of days before trip learned about Stayner murders who lived and worked at this hotel.I did not tell my wife who had told me she seen a woman in our room with her throat cut (ghost). The women who were murdered stayed here! Spooky! We found dirty linens when we got here changed rooms. After a day in park came back to room around 4:30pm expecting a shower then dinner,to find room had still not been cleaned!!! The ghost my wife seen freaked me out. As she knew nothing of the murders and one woman was reported to have had her throat cut. Got a refund stayed in Merced at Marriott the drive was an added 1/2 hr to park. And at 1/2 the cost with shopping and food that isn't $14.95 for burger n fries

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank goose16002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Pleasant Valley, MO
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Let me start this review by saying my husband and I travelled to El Portal for Yosemite NOT for a luxury hotel! We found this hotel very comfortable for what we needed. We stayed in room 188 and it was very clean and well kept the bathroom was nice and updated the bed was a little hard but we slept just fine after hiking all day in the park. We visited the bar and grill a couple times and had a WONDERFUL bartender - Michael who gave us suggestions about hikes in the park and was very courteous and prompt. We thought the food was good and ate there twice also. This hotel was close to Yosemite - about 20-30 minutes to the heart of the park which was great! The front desk staff were nice and we had no problems with anyone.

In conclusion - if you are simple people like us and are coming the California to see and experience Yosemite then Cedar Lodge is perfect! If you are coming for a luxury hotel stay then maybe you should choose an expensive hotel inside the park. We had no problem with internet as we could have cared less if there was wireless because we were on VACATION and trying to get away from everyday life. I would stay at Cedar Lodge again and would recommend it to anyone who wants a place to sleep after spending a long day hiking and experiencing Yosemite.

1 Thank Mellody R
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Throughout our stay, the staff were entirely unhelpful and unfriendly. The dining facilities are shabby, overpriced, poor quality food and have no atmosphere. The room was dilapidated, the bed and furniture are destroyed from woodworm. The internet is a complete rip-off: $9 per day, and you must be in the tiny reception to use it (which closes at 9pm by the way.) The two swimming pools are grotty. Because of the location, the feeling you get here is that the hotel and staff are taking advantage of you.

Also, we spent a little extra to get the King room with spa bath, however the noise of the spa pump was so loud it wasn't enjoyable at all.

We stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon and it was the most disappointing hotel on our trip, avoid at all cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dan_Ring

Travelers are raving about these El Portal hotels

Augsburg, Germany
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The location is the attraction of El Portal if you can't stay in Yosemite. The room was average a bit outdated. In El Portal is nothing, so nothing,,be prepared if you need to buy some groceries you need to by it in the on-site shop or buy it in the large bigger city you pass. I suppose there is a gas station hidden somewhere. We had dinner at the onsite diner, which were greasy burgers with the local potato variant (fries). The pool is ok for a refreshing dip. This hotel is relative close to Yosemite valley. We took the 120 from San Francisco to visit the valley late after noon and drove than to the hotel. A beautiful ride with a good view of half dome just before the valley.

Room Tip: It is quiet, but if you are a long sleeper suggest you take an upstairs room so you don't wake b...
Riverton, Utah
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here 2 nights on a jam packed road trip. We stayed here as it was our only option booking so last minute. We were pleasantly surprised with the "lodge". Our room was very spacious and clean, a bit dated but CLEAN. Our room faced the mountain and we enjoyed sitting on the patio in the evenings enjoying a glass of wine or cold beer. (Thumbs up for the room fridge). Front desk called late one night with a complaint about our vehicle taking up too much room and us needing to move it, turned out she didn't check before she called and had us mixed up with someone else. We enjoyed the short drive to Yosemite each day as the route is very scenic.

Room Tip: You can overlook a parking lot or face a mountain. We chose the mountain and the patio.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My family and myself stayed in this "lodge" for 2 nights whilst visiting Yosemite on a fly drive. When we first got their the staff weren't rude but not very helpful or informative, unlike all the other staff at the other hotels we stayed at. The staff seemed to be mostly made up of foreign teenagers, some were helpful like 2 of the girls but the rest seemed a bit brain dead. The adults their weren't much more helpful except one of the men on duty and the manger seemed to always hide away from visitors.

The room was old, dated and dark and my room didn't have a light but had a light switch, (I assumed the light had been taken out to save money??). My bed had stains on the sheets which meant I had had to sleep on top of the blanket which made me wake up in the night cold.

Most of the cleaning staff were foreign and didn't speak English. I did notice the cleaning staff going into random rooms at night with one going in and shutting the curtains and another person standing outside ( maybe keeping guard??).

Our bags and passports got stolen so we decided to do see if the staff were going through our stuff. I placed 2 books perfectly in line with the pattern of my suitcase and then we went out for tea in the restaurant on site. (which was disgusting) When we got back I found the books had been moved and put deep in the middle of my suitcase which wasn't anywhere near my bed or anywhere which needed to cleaned and also our room had be cleaned earlier.

Now some of the positives, the breakfast at the Blue Moon was good with fresh fruit and cooked food. I would also recommend going to the river opposite the lodge which is stunning but make sure you don't leave any valuables in your room because the might go missing and the cleaning staff don't speak English. Also it is very close to Yosemite

So overall I would not recommend this lodge as it is dirty, staff are not very helpful and your belonging might go missing.

Uk
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Lovely area and surroundings but the decor and cleaniness in the room wasnt that brilliant. Reception on arrival wasnt up to the usual US standard "welcoming" either but on the whole, experience was OK.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Portal
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,717 reviews
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort

Been to Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!