“Great location - perfect for Yosemite”

Yosemite View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Portal
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Great location - perfect for Yosemite”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

It's got a tired feel to it so do not expect luxury.
But, the location is fantastic, the setting next to the river is beautiful, the rooms are big and clean - so take it as it comes and enjoy.
Two on site restaurants - the pizzas were awful, literally the worst I have ever had. The main restaurant was ok but pricey for what it was.
Treat it like a camp site but with solid walls and roof and you will enjoy.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Astoria, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I want to start off by saying that I have never written a negative review, however I need to warn those that are considering Yosemite View Lodge that it has bed bugs!! We booked this hotel due to its excellent location to the Yosemite entrance, its beautiful landscape and positive reviews found on most websites. We knew that this hotel was older and in need of a renovation. On arrival, those working at the front desk were accommodating when we had to switch our original room due to the overwhelming smell of bacon. Once in our new room, the AC was broken but decided just to deal with it. When we pulled down the comforter, we noticed that the sheets were dirty and full of bloodstains! We then saw a bed bug run across the sheets! We pulled up the rest of the sheets and noticed the bed was covered in bed bugs!! We immediately packed up our belongings and headed to front desk and explained the situation. The first question the receptionist asked was, “Did you take a picture?” Are you kidding me!? He wasn’t apologetic and didn’t even seem surprised and more like this has happened on a regular basis. Of course I took pictures, which I showed him. He offered us another room, which we declined. We demanded a full refund, which he granted. Since all of the hotels are always booked surrounding the park, our only resort was to drive over 2 hours at 10:00 pm to the nearest city after driving over 4 hours to get to this hotel. Needless to say, I would NOT recommend this hotel!

8 Thank Lauren S

Travelers are raving about these El Portal hotels

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2014

So when you read the reviews of this place you really don't know what to expect.....we stayed on July 4th weekend so were happy to get a room somewhere close to the park, we came with fairly low expectations!

Truth is that is really isn't that bad. Travelers were my wife, 6 year old daughter and myself. We got a river view room. The view was amazing - you would not get tired of it. Room was dated but clean and everything worked. We had a little kitchen area and fridge which was good. There are a few outdoor pools and if you are feeling brave you can even go into the river. There is a good shop on site where you can get most groceries which was really handy.

Location is great - few miles to the park so can't complain about that. Reality was that the place was packed whilst we were there. We did not have any issues with the staff like some other reviewers but we did not have any problems.

In summary, set your expectations low and then you will be pleasantly surprised when you get there. Also just pretend you have gone back 30-40 years in time and you will probably like the decour as well!

Buffalo
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Literally a few hundred yards outside of the park border, and right on the Merced River...meaning your river view balcony isn't a quiet place for conversation...rapids, even in July, were loud, but not loud enough to prevent sleep (the noisy air conditioner fit that bill). The rooms are dated but clean. All we wanted was a place to crash for the night and conveniently re-enter the park first thing in the morning, This place fit that bill just fine, and because of that you'll pay urban Hilton rates for a Super8 kind of room. Hey, it's Yosemite, there aren't that many options. We knew that going in so it wasn't a disappointment. I think next visit to the park will be either an RV or a vacation rental place as there are no hotel accommodations available that can offer value tcomparable to what can be found with research in other less remote vacation destinations.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank InTheHollow
Taylorsville, California
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This place has a lot of potential but.... This place needs new management. You know, someone who cares about their customers. The room rates were extremely high and the rooms were filthy. The room door was difficult to open and once we got it open it wouldn't stay closed unless we dead bolted it. No towels in the room and when we asked for towels we got small hand towels but lots of them. There was no remote control for the T.V. in the room. The air conditioner didn't work very well. There were no coffee cups but had a coffee maker. Only had a one drinking cup. They have a little store there that sells some groceries but is extremely over priced. One twelve pack of Coors beer was $20. The hot tub that we used (they have several) was a cold tub with a stunning view of the river. Pizza across the way was yummy and had great prices.

Clifton, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This motel is in desperate need of a new manager, one who has an inkling about providing customer service. On a recent visit with a tour group, I checked into my room at about 5pm and noticed the room was very hot so I adjusted the A/C setting to help cool the room. There was a beautiful view in the rear from the balcony of the Merced River and I looked forward to spending some time on the balcony after dinner. My wife and I went to the restaurant, each had a cheeseburger platter and a salad. The tab with tip was $46. The cheeseburger was good but not worth the $14.99 it cost. No biggie, this is, after all a tourist area.
We returned to the room and it was as miserable as it had been an hour earlier, like an oven.
I called the front desk and let the phone ring at least twenty times, no answer. I waited about five minutes, called the front desk again , let it ring at least twenty times, no answer.
I waited a few minutes, called again and counted the rings. After ninety-three rings with no answer I hung the phone up and walked the couple hundred yards to the lobby. I walked in and saw about three people helping customers and one individual standing unoccupied. He asked if he could help me. I replied that he could have helped by answering the phone when it rang. He replied that "we have been very busy" I explained that my A/C wasn't working and after consulting with another person there, he told me he would send a maintenance man right away. I thanked him and returned to my room. After about thirty minutes nobody showed up. I tried calling again, no answer. Finally a man showed up walked into the room, looked at the A/C settings and told me he would get me another room in the same building. Then he called the front desk. Surprise, Surprise, no answer. He left and said he would bring me another room key. I never saw him again. Finally I found out the tour director's room number and called her. She went to the front desk and was told "We have been very busy". finally after about three hours I was put in another room, in another building, not overlooking the river and that was fine. I just wanted someone to give a hoot . It seems ridiculous that "We have been busy" makes everything ok. If the building is on fire, if there is a guest having a heart attack, if there is a shooting in the parking lot, that's ok if you can't contact the front desk because they have, after all, " been busy". I feel confidant that the owner of this hotel would not find this excuse acceptable. I would drive three days to avoid ever being stuck in this place again.

Room Tip: Drive past it as fast as you can.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WilliamR626
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I recently spent a lovely June week enjoying Yosemite with Yosemite View Lodge as our home base - we were very satisfied. The property was clean, the staff was professional, the rates were reasonable, and the facilities more than met our expectations.

The complex has two restaurants on site - a pizza place with outside seating and a nicer restaurant. We ate at both more than once and were satisfied with the food (good salad bars) and service. There is a small grocery (with spirits) just off the lobby, a laundry room (ask for change and purchase soap at the grocery), and three clean pools with hot tubs - our only disappointment was that not all the hot tubs were working (but the ones that were, heaven!!, after a day of hiking).

Our room was spacious and included a kitchen area - small fridge, microwave, stove, coffeemaker (with coffee) and dishes. The beds and pillows were fresh and comfy, and the housekeeping staff was polite, quick and thorough. The bath was larger than the norm; the air conditioning was as cold as you want it.

What truly won my heart was the balcony overlooking the Merced River. Beginning and ending the day listening to the water music and watching the birds, chipmunks, squirrels (and one fly fisherman) created the perfect, peaceful Yosemite mood.

The hotel is less than a mile from a 24 hour gas station and from park boundaries, two miles from the ranger station, and twelve miles to the heart of Yosemite Valley. We loved it.

Room Tip: Second or third floor riverview rooms have more private balconies than the ground floor rooms (due t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rush Creek Lodge
#3 of 7 in Groveland
White Chief Mountain Lodge
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn

Been to Yosemite View Lodge? Share your experiences!