“Medietrranean Food on the Coast?”
Review of Cafe Gibraltar - CLOSED

Cafe Gibraltar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Palma
Transit: Sam Trans stops almost directly in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What s delightful experience, from the cheery greeting to the outstanding customer service. Fabulous!!!! Now to the more exciting part The Food, Portions were ok nothing major. I am very picky where I eat Duck. it was delicious, Simply meat falling off the bone. Yum YUm! Was given bill and for two $45. cant Beat it!!! A overall nice place on the Coast.

1  Thank General M

Reviewed December 12, 2012

The overall experience was good: nice ambiance, good and cheerful service, interesting menu options, reasonable prices. It was dark and raining hard the night we dined there, so I can't comment on the scenic view. (Yes, it WAS a dark and stormy night.)

There were some problems.

One problem became immediately apparent: The lighting over our table was not working and could not be fixed, so we had trouble seeing what we were eating. For an appetizer, we ordered the beef cheeks and, having never had beef cheeks before, the lack of light was a serious problem. My wife's portion was tender and delicious, but the bits I got were tough, fatty, and chewy. I’m not sure what the dish was supposed to be like and I’m not sure I was even supposed to eat some of what I ate, but what I did eat was not good.

Next, I had the “poiree e fromage bleu” salad -- it was outstanding. My wife had the “mishwi shamandar” salad but was disappointed because she prefers red beets to the gold ones used in the salad (the menu was not clear).

We split the “anec amb peres” entre: Sonoma duck prepared two ways. We thought the wood roasted breast was much tastier than the confit leg and thigh. After leaving the restaurant, it occurred to us that the pear chutney had been omitted.

Could have been excellent, but some missteps earned a downgrade to "very good"

Reviewed December 10, 2012

A wonderful place for a special night. The food is very eclectic – lamb, duck, wild boar, fresh fish, and intriguing vegetarian dishes – imaginatively prepared. The location could not be more romantic. I highly recommend checking on the time of sunset and getting there in time to watch it sink into the Pacific before your meal.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent a wonderful Valentines Day at this restaurant. Excellent food, wonderful & helpful staff. They grow some of their own herbs & veggies.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were lucky to get in the night before Thanksgiving, as this high quality restaurant is normally packed. The food is a mixture of middle eastern and California locavore sensibilities. There are many vegan and vegetarian options. We had modest first courses, but the entrees were generous enough that we each saved half for a Pre-Thanksgiving meal.

One of my very favorite restaurants.