“Melt in Mouth Ribs”

Poor Red's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in El Dorado
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I havent been in here since I was a kid over 20 years ago however it is exactly as I remember. Nothing much has changed. This obviously is not a fine dining establishment however the ribs are to die for and I would not bothering ordering anything else. That is what they are famous for and what my parents ordered when I was a kid. Oh and the Golden Cadillac Margarita. I did not have one of those but I'm sure the ambience would greatly improve if you did, LOL.

I love the ribs mainly because they are cooked perfectly, fall off the bone, melt in your mouth and they don't drown them in some sauce thats distracts the flavor. $18 for a half rack of baby backs and there is way more meat on them that I have seen anywhere. Sometimes you get a whole rack somewhere and barely get any meat. I couldn't even finish the 1/2 rack! I brought 2 ribs home to tease my son apparently. He was amazed at the flavor and wanted to know why that was all I brought. So needless to say we will have to make another family trip out there soon.

It wasn't busy when we got there early Friday night so we just opted to sit in the bar since thats where all the action is but they do have a dining room too, nothing fancy so don't expect that, its more like an inside picnic. You wont be disappointed thats for sure!
People thought this was:

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been passing this place for 8 years now and finally decieded to give it a try when I was traveing with a co-worker. It is a "dive bar", but it knows that and makes no attempt to cover up that fact. Multi-level bar was interesting, everyone should try the Golden Cadillac once, would be great on a hot day as it is like a Slurppy. Baby Back ribs were pricy, but good. Nothing fancy, but not as bad as some review had stated. Staff was really friendly and aimed to please, good mixed crowd, but I could see how this place gets out of hand on the weekends.

1  Thank Etienne O
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Bad food, way overcooked. Terrible service. Almost rude. Dirty, floors, table counter tops. Our food was given to another group that came way after us. Our food came in shifts. I was told there food was to die for, well you won't die but it is not good. Cant imagine what the other eateries in the area are like if this is voted the best of. Don't waste your money or time. Maybe, it was good at one time, but the food we got served was not what I would call good, MC could make better food. The service stinks, don't know how they could have been in business for this long. Something must have changed since my friends went there and my experience today. Will never come here again. Stay away. Don't waste you time or money. I am don not like fast food but I think I would have appreciated eating fast food 100x more.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We (two couples) stopped here yesterday for a late lunch on our way back from wine tasting. Unusually, they were open on Monday due to the Valentine’s Day holiday.

We've all been here before but this latest experience was a disappointment. We weren’t starving, so we ordered two “dinner” plates to split amongst the four of us. We wanted baby-back ribs but were informed that they only had one portion left. So, we ordered one baby-back rib plate and one “pork rib” plate, upgrading the included French fries to garlic fries.

We were one of three parties (a pair, a triple and us) but nonetheless waited 30 minutes for the ribs. The two menu items that we ordered had been split over four plates. Between us, we were served a total of 8 baby-back ribs and 4 pork ribs. The French fries were cold and soggy. We requested the garlic fries that we had ordered, which arrived hot and crispy.

The baby-back ribs were tasty, not exceptional. The pork ribs were subpar and on the dry side.

The baby-back ribs plate, which comprised a small salad, 8 ribs and fries came to $25 - $22 for the plate plus a $3 sharing charge. The pork rib plate, which comprised a small salad, 4 ribs and fries came to $19 - $16 for the plate plus a $3 sharing charge.

We felt that the price charged was excessive for what we received and do not plan to return.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Poor Reds is an iconic stop along Highway 49. A favorite with the motorcycle crowd. Located in downtown El Dorado, it is famous for its Gold Cadillac drinks. Reputed to be the largest consumer of Galiano in the country. Bar is busy. Change is given in dollar coins. Restaurant is barely adequate. This place is not about the food. It is about the crowd. Location, Location, Location.