“Professional”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in El Centro
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Professional”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I appreciate the staff willing to re send some items back to my primary address. They arrived and with no worries, thank you. Clean rooms, ok breakfast... would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Ocean City
Reviewed November 18, 2011

It was bad right from the start when the manager checked us in and told us at least twice how busy they are and how booked the rooms are and that we were lucky to get our rooms at the government rate because they are sooo busy. I travel alot doing government contract work and I have never had a manager make paying guests feel so un-welcome five minutes after walking in the door. My company books alot of rooms with Marriott on a very regular basis and there is no need for that kind of reception to regular customers. I have stayed in motel rooms over 200 nights per year for the last 3 years and this is the first time that I have ever wrote a negative review. This hotel is a bad example of the Marriott chain of very fine hotels all over the world. The front desk clerk had to come to my room and program my television because I had NO channels, she told me that they have been having problems with the cable company, even after she got the TV working, the channels were all mixed up and the channel line up sucked. The next morning there was NO internet, when my three other co-workers said that they had the same problems, I asked the desk clerk who said, oh yeah, we have been having problems with that. At 7:30 am, I went for a cup of coffee and there were two empty coffee urns. I went for a bowl of oatmeal and the pot was empty. The entire continental breakfast spread was a pitiful sight. Yeah, these are all minor, petty issues, but I blame all of these combined issues on one person, the same manager who was rude to us at check in. Some people are just not cut out to manage or oversee all the little things that need to get done to make a good, well oiled machine work. It is really a shame that it makes sush a reflection on the entire Marriott chain of hotels when I have such a bad experience at one poorly managed hotel. My company will never book this hotel again. Good thing for us that there is a Holiday Inn Express or a Comfort Inn just down the road.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Danny O
Luxembourg
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Room was on the small side but very clean in what appears to be a recently built or refurbished property. Service and comfort was in line with what you expect from a Fairfield Inn but nothing more. Not particularly good value at 94/night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jpl88
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 11, 2011

The staff is very friendly however, If you want a quiet and good sleep, this isn't the place. Constant banging, thumping and door slamming. The floors and walls are paper thin and poorly built. If you can't get a top floor, forget it. I only averaged about 5 hours sleep at most, with constant pounding on my ceiling and banging on interior walls. I even heard snoring through the walls. The beds are hard and pillows worn out. The air conditioner wall unit is only 6 inches from the bed. I believe this was built and is ran by a cheap Fanchisee.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Redlands, California
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I stay at this hotel two times every week and have for the last two years. So I can say that the staff is always friendly and courteous, the rooms are always perfectly clean, the decor is very attractive, the facility is meticulously maintained. This Fairfield is far better than older Fairfield facilities I've stayed in elsewhere. El Centro is fortunate to have such a fine hotel! And extra kudos to the manager who always goes out of her way to be friendly and helpful! The gym facility and indoor pool are also very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We spent two nights at the hotel to attend my wife's high school reunion. We had several other choices of places to stay but chose to spend a little extra for the celebration. We had a King Suite which was a nice room but at over $125 we did not feel it was a good value.

The good.
The public places and our room was extremely clean. All of the staff was friendly, helpful, outgoing and very professional. The room was well laid out with two tvs and a very comfortable couch plus a chair in the sitting area.

The breakfast area is a bit small for this size hotel but since we were there on a weekend it was ok. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard but only had two hot items - the waffle maker and a pot of oatmeal. There were breakfast sandwiches available but the had to be cooked in the micro-wave.

The bad.
The air conditioning system was a window unit which was very hard to control because the panel/thermostat was in one room and the unit next to the bed. It would be comfortable in one space but either way too hot or way too cold in the other. Also, the a/c blew directly on the king bed which meant you either had to sleep under blankets if it was on or under a sheet if it was off. Very poor design.

While it was not a problem for us, parking is very limited so if the hotel would be sold out I am sure you would have to park in the shopping mall's lot and have quite a long walk to the hotel.

When we arrived in the room the only amenity was soap. When you book a "suite" you at least expect shampoo and conditioner but none was provided. This may have been unusual as we talked to the housekeeping person the next day, explained what happened and had a full set of amenities when we returned from lunch.

The only "cups" in the room are styrofoam. You expect this with the coffee service but every hotel room should have either plastic or glass glasses in the bar and/or bathroom. When I asked at the desk about getting a plastic cup I was asked if I was alergic to styrofoam! I said no but I prefer to drink my wine and water out of a glass. Ten minutes later two very nice wine glasses were delivered to the room so the hotel was responsive to my request but it did not seem to me that we should have had to ask.

All in all it was not a bad stay or hotel but it was certainly not worth the price we paid.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Wandering
Reviewed February 14, 2009

This Fairfield is exceptional. Everything is very clean and very well maintained. The location is walking distance to a pretty decent mall and several very good restaurants, and is just off of I-8. We came for the dunes, and this hotel was the closest and best we could find. It exceeded our expectations.

The room decor is very well thought out and flows nicely with good lighting and well placed mirrors, furniture, plants and so forth. The bathroom amenities are very good, with adequate quantities of Pantene shampoo and conditioner, and sweet smelling soaps and lotion. The toilet paper and tissues are even very good quality. The showerhead is large and has good water pressure. The bed is a stereotypical Marriott, with a very comfortable matress, crisp linens, and the most comfortable pillows known to man. The tvs are large and includes the full spectrum of cable channels. I could not find any stains on the floor or furniture. The microwave worked as it should, and so did the coffee pot. The refrigerator did not have any freezer but was a set at a good constant cold temperature. The climate control (heat and aircon) worked just as it should. Internet connection is available in the room (free) as wired or wireless, and although the speed isn't lightening fast, we were still able to stream videos. In all, the room was very welcoming and comfortable to spend several hours at a time in.

The breakfast is labeled as continental. Again, I was very impressed with the variety, quantity, and quality of the spread. The coffee and tea was fresh and hot with all the additives readily available. The pancake maker worked great. There was a variety of cold cereals, pastries, fresh fruits, juices, oatmeal, and boiled eggs. Jimmy Dean sausage egg biscuits (similar to an egg McMuffin) are also available. You will not leave the breakfast table hungry.

At 2am on our second day, the neighbors next door were very noisy with loud music. I called the front desk about it and they quieted the neighbors down very effectively and in short order. The staff here is very professional and have excellent manners.

The workout room is nothing to brag about. There is a couple of treadmills, and that's about it. I didn't try out the pool, but it looked nice enough.

We stayed in a King suite (room 422) for $99/night, for 3 nights in February 2009.

• Liked — Location, price, quality, staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything I didn't like.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank odusseia
Super 8 El Centro
Super 8 El Centro
#8 of 19 in El Centro
Holiday Inn Express Calexico

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites El Centro? Share your experiences!