New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express El Centro

Holiday Inn Express El Centro
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in El Centro
Temecula, California
“Not expecting much, but Nicely Surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for just one night and it was a great find. From the outside it can look a bit plain, but the room was comfortable and well appointed. Ofcourse this still is just a simple hotel. This location has rooms for parties and get togethers, though you would never guess it from the outside that the decor in the hotel is rather nice. I believe it only has about 100 rooms. The decor was nice and for the money I do believe it is a great deal considering some other places we've stayed at. We had room 239, a king bed junior suite. My husband spent a few minutes out on the balcony, not much to see but the motel 6 accross the street and the freeway. The bed was comfortable, I didn't wake up at all until morning. The expanded continental breakfast they offer is great! we got there towards the end of serving time so we missed out on a few hot items othewise the gal kept bringing out fresh items and the room you eat in has a large screen tv to watch and everything is clean and well organized. for a comfortable one night or even a few more this place is good. Checkin was a breeze too, and if you want something to eat in the middle of the night...jack-in-the-box is the only thing near by.

• Liked — A nice place in an odd location
  • Disliked — the musty smell of the room at first, opened windows and was fine after a while.
  • Tips/Secrets — This locale makes a good overnight pitstop for those coming or going to Mexicali
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank Veroaleli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

I had the opportunity <grin> to have business in El Centro and wanted to stay somewhere decent. I found this property and booked it without a) knowing the area or b) not having any expectations. I was pleasantly surprised that the staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The rooms had the A/C already blowing (outside was pushing 110 F) and the shades were drawn so the heat wouldn’t penetrate into the room. I was given a room facing the Interstate and didn’t even hear one car during the stay. I would recommend this location if you have to travel I-8 or have work in El Centro. On a side note, I did joke with the front desk about requesting the Presidential suite and the wanted to know if I wanted to reserve it, for only 159.00 a night. I was tempted and visited the suite and it was well laid out and comfortable looking but I passed.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank Patrick F
Arroyo Grande, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2005

This is the best property to stay at in El Centro. The site is a long bkock off of the Interstae, while others back up to I-8, which I'm sure is noisier. The property is about two years old, but is kept in very good condition. I would have guessed about 9 months old. The interior as well as exterior is well kept, with maintenance kept up. Rooms are spacious, with granite tile floors as well as bath surrounds. This compliments the granite counters in the bath and sink area (this was in a larger room). The refrigerator and microwave are a nice touch. The high-speed internet also was appreciated. Beds were comfy, the TV a big 32 inch model. Rooms were quiet, and the AC unit made cold air on the warm afternoons. Exercise room was good with an elypitcal trainer that I used a few times.

Guest services were helpful and very nice. All in all, they get high marks all around.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank tomp4657
Fallbrook CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2004

The prior reviewer has confused this hotel with another one. You can't leave Los Angeles on your way "up the coast" and stop off in El Centro. El Centro is about 150 miles inland from San Diego, and probably 4-5 hours southeast of L.A. I have been to the HI Express El Centro and it is one of the nicest motels for business and leisure travelers you will find. Very high quality property, very clean, and excellent service.

8 Thank timetraveler51
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2004

This Holiday Inn Express in El Centro was the first stop on a honeymoon trip up the coast. Upon arrival we were greeted by being informed our reservations were not in the computer. The desk staff seemed unconcerned, telling us they could easily provide me with a room of equal value. That was fine, but all I could think about was the extra time spent restating my information and credit card number.
The room was VERY nice and the best part of the whole stay. Small, but very professional and comfortable.
That night my wife and I were bothered by some loud, thumping bass - I went up front to complain and found a very loud dance/party taking place in the ballroom just 5 doors down from our room. (My original reservation had asked for a room on the top floor.)
When the thumping subsided VERY late that night, the fire alarm went off - a scruciatingly piercing alarm that went on for a very long time because it appeared (from listening to the front desk staff) no one knew how to shut it off. It would go off several more times that night, well into the morning hours.
I woke the next morning expecting to make use of the excercise room but instead found it filled with fans and was told by staff that the fire sprinklers had drenched the carpet and the area was off limits.

I will not stay in this hotel again. It was so frustrating I am wary of ANY Holiday Inn Express now.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member