See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 7, 2016

Like the title of my review suggests, this place is full of people who you might not want to associate with. Apart from felling like you're in the red-light district of town, you'll be amazed by lack of decency shown by management. It's easily the worst motel stay I have ever had. Drug dealers anyone??? Motel 6 El Cajon.

P.S. There's a Motel 6 In San Diego (hotel circle) about ten minutes away. Well worth the drive.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank _carsonjulie7
Reviewed March 24, 2016 via mobile

Room was clean. Staff checked daily to see if we needed anything. Easy access to freeway, so we didn't have to travel far. Enjoyed the pool. Definitely using this place again when we come back. The room looked recently remodeled. Glad there was plenty of parking. Family liked that the beds were comfortable. Price was reasonable and looking forward to returning.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2016 via mobile

I stayed at this motel 6 several times. I booked a room on the 800 number confirmed. I just arrived at the motel after just being discharged from hospital. I was told I had a due not rent because i left a leg oxygen in the room for pick up. I have been getting these do not rents as I have Law suite again several motel 6 and i feel i am being blakballed! I will never stay in a motel 6 in calif. again
these are some of the most rude unprofessional people I have see dealing with the b
public!
they also ha ve a lot of rig raff hanging around their!

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2015

The staff at the front desk was friendly and efficient on the phone and in person. Check-in was quick. My room was tiny, but clean. It was as bare-bones as you can get, and for the rates I have no complaints about that. But be aware that you get two bars of soap and a couple of towels. No shampoo, conditioner, or hair dryer. No microwave, no coffee maker, no refrigerator. Basically, a bed, TV, and bathroom.

The bed was firm, to the point of feeling cheap, but comfortable. The floor was wood, rather than carpet, which lent to the feeling of cleanliness in the room. The room was a non-smoking room, and had the non-smoking sticker on the door, but it had an ashtray on the dresser. The room itself didn’t smell like smoke at all, and I’m pretty sensitive to that, but the bathroom smelled as if someone just got done smoking a carton in there. It eventually subsided. I suspect the smell was coming from an adjacent room, and my running the vent fan took care of it.

The area seems a little shady, and there were some shady looking characters about the place. Then again, people probably thought the same of me so who knows.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2015

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions. Time after time I have been disappointed by the fact that I *always* get put in a smoking room. Usually I ask and after 2-3 tries they find a room that is tolerable. Tonight there was only one "non-smoking" room available. When I reached my room, it smelled strongly of smoke. I went back to the front desk and gently asked for another room. The response was defensive/skeptical "I was just in that room and it didn't smell like smoke". Not wanting to argue, I am going to ask for a full refund and pay for a different hotel. I know I will pay more but even though I am very frugal, I am ok with paying more because the smoke is that bad. I wonder if I will need to get my clothes dry-cleaned.

My conclusion is that there are 2 types of rooms in this motel:
1- STRONG-smoking
2- Smoking

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
6Team, brand expericened team member at Motel 6 San Diego - El Cajon, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2015

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for posting your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in following through on that commitment during your recent stay. We do accommodate our smoking guests with assigned smoking rooms and are sorry you experienced dissatisfaction with the concerns you describe. Please know the issues you experienced are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay due to the inconveniences you describe. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.