“BEWARE--Traveler Warning” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in El Cajon
Simi Valley, California
“BEWARE--Traveler Warning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We should have known when the GPS said we had arrived at our destination but we couldn't see anything except a Taqueria, a car wash, and a two story business housing a Gas Station, Quick Store, and various other small businesses. We finally saw a small HoJo sign directing us around the back of all these businesses to where the motel was buried- no sign and no separation of the motel property from any of these other businesses--in fact, the car wash is doing work up to the wall of the motel with a table and chairs placed against the wall and blocking any access to any parking that may be available behind the building, but can't say for sure since there are no signs anywhere. Next--no office--under renovation--driveway blocked with cone because of painters in the office--office located in a tiny room down the way with temporary set-up. We found our room--tho designated Non-Smoking it reeked of Air Freshener layered over Cigarette Smoke--this happens more often than I care to mention. Dingy but relatively clean. Went to look for ice machine--very hot day. Couldn't find it--the place just isn't that big and I walked it all--went to the office to ask where it was-- the clerk had to look at a map to show me where it is supposed to be--this is a single U-shaped building--the ice machine was not there or anywhere else but she didn't know that. Later in the evening we went out to eat and when we came back after 9 our parking spot was occupied as were all the spots inside the compound. There is no other parking within view of the rooms and no secure parking behind the buildings. My husband decided to park at the end of the drive-thru by the closed office, since it wasn't being used and there were no signs, no painted curb, etc. Around 11:30 I glanced out the window because there was so much noise above us, on the stairs, and the walkway in front of our room-- drunken partiers-- and our car was gone. I woke my husband and he went to the make-shift office and was told the car had been towed. After questioning and asking to speak to the owners who were not around and the clerk who called the tow company--who conveniently had left to go home--we were told they called all the rooms. The phone in our room NEVER RANG--I was awake and sitting right next to the nightstand with the phone. This problem would have been immediately resolved if someone would have just called and asked us to move the car. The upshot is apparently El Cajon has found a new way to make money for the city by licensing Wildcat Towing Companies and allowing them to pick up cars from any private property or public property where they can make a questionable judgement and then they can hold your car hostage for any amount of money they want with the City getting a "Fee" for every tow. God only knows who else gets a kick-back on this little business plan. It cost us $400 to get our car back. Ruined our week. We will NEVER go anywhere near El Cajon again, in spite of the fact that we found a wonderful mexican restaurant there-- Hacienda on N. Johnson Ave. If you go there be very, extremely careful where you park your car!! I took photos but can't seem to upload them.

Room Tip: A good room would be somewhere else, where there are enough secure parking spaces for the guests.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YAYASister70128
Chetan P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thanks you for your response, we look forward for our customer feed back, it helps us improve our service. I am glad to stated your room was clean. I am truly sorry we had to tow your car. As per our converstation we did our best to locate the owner of the car in question. As we pointed out to you the car information you provided to us on registration card did not match the car that was towed. Since the car was blocking the driveway we had no choice but to get it towed. Prior to towing the car we did put a notice on the car and waited for two hours for the owner to move the car. If I remember correctly you stated you went to dinner leaving your car in the drive way, therefore you missed our call. I personally helped my front desk agent to call every occupied room to find out who the owner of the car was. As you can understand we have to keep the drive way free of obstruction in case there is an emgergency. Our hotels has many parking spots, we have 68 rooms but have 102 parking spots, granted they are not all visible from the guest rooms. Parking is first come first serve, they are not marked by room numbers. Once again I am truly sorry for any trouble this has caused. If you want to further discuss this please give me a call. I will be happy to talk to you.

Chetan Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
EUREKA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I reserved 2 rooms for 4 days and was very pleased with my stay except for a few cliches. 1 of my rooms was not reserved , the t.v., ac. , fridge & microwave were not working in one of the rooms; all was taken care of right away. Everyone was very helpful considering the motel was in the middle of renovation. I most certainly would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank PAMELA D
Pamela

Thanks you for your comments, my staff and I really appriciate possitive feedback. I am glad your visit went well and that you enjoyed your stay in San Diego area. I am sorry your troubles, I am glad my staff stepped up and helped resolve. We hope to see you soon, and once again thank you for your kind words. I am happy to say our Lobby renovation is completed, now we have a nice big comfortable lobby for our guests to enjoy.

Thank you for your business.
CAMARILLO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Upon first arrival I was skeptical about staying. The location is behind a conveince store and car wash. Could use a paint job. . .However, we had NO problems at all. Very easy access to freeway. . .traffic not a problem. No partying, loud noise, or traffic heard at night. Room was very clean, everything worked. Staff was friendly and helpful. I am not a breakfast person, so I did not care about the continental breakfast offered. My sister went and had no complaints. For the price I paid, I am very satisfied. It was about 20 minutes to the zoo. Walmart was within a mile from the hotel. I stayed two nights. If you need a place to sleep between activities on your vacation, I would recommend this hotel. It was just the basics and that's all we needed. All the money we saved on a fancier hotel, we were able to use for shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

2 Thank ETHELYN M
Chetan P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Ethelyn I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson, as you said we provide value to our customer, we have clean, large and comfortable rooms. My staff and I appreciate your comments. We work hard to exceed expectation of our guests. I am happy to tell you we have a brand new lobby, with all comfort soon we will be adding a business center and a market place for our guests to enjoy. As you said we are minutes away from all major attraction San Diego has to offer. Come back again to enjoy what San Diego has to offer.

Thank You for your business.
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We reserved the room online and ended up paying a little less than $100 for an 'efficiency room' which was a standard room with 2 queen beds, a table w/2 chairs, and a cooking area. It was a great value for the money. The room was clean and better than I expected, the staff was nice, and we even got to check in early. The area isn't the best, but we came for a wedding so we weren't roaming the streets. The parking lot is small, but there is an awesome taco shop right next door and overall we had a great stay!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank celia_2
Chetan P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, We are very proud of the outstanding service we provide to our guests. I am glad that you liked our newly renovated efficiency room with small kitchen, is gives our guest an option to make their own meals. As you experianced this is a safe location right off the freeway, I am sure if you toured our city you would have found it to be an exciting place. We are currently in process of renovating our breakfast room, which will make our guest experiance even better, since we will be able to offer a better breakfast. We hope to see you soon again.

Thanks!
Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

A 2 week job turned into a 4.5 month job. I was fortunate to find a great little motel at a fair price. The staff was excellent, worked with my changing schedule like real professionals. House keeping kept my room in tip-top shape, the desk personal went out of their way to make me feel at home. For the price and location, EXCELLENT value. I had a King non-smoking, BIG room with a couch and VERY comfortable bed.

I will stay here again. When I call, I just say this is Mike from 131!

Room Tip: I was traveling by myself, though my wife would drive out on some weekends, no extra charge. I just...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael S
Thanks Mike! we enjoyed having you at our hotel for many days, we appreciate you sending us many of your co-workers. As you enjoyed the outstanding service and accomodations so did they. They were especially happy with our kitchen rooms, it was a great feature they were looking for. We hope you have more work in the San Diego Area, we will keep your favorite room for you. Once again thank you from me and my staff. Hope to see you and your fellow co-workers soon.

Thanks!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Booked through hotels.com, first experience with hotels.com. I was impressed seamless. Walked in told them I needed to check in they asked for my name, checked my drivers license, signed a the hotel doc and got my keys. Room was very clean, beds were awesome. Quiet stay. Check out was nothing at all. Would definetaly recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Tlawen
, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thanks you for staying with us. I am glad that we met your expectation. Our new renovated rooms are liked by our guests, soon we will have our new breakfast room that will serve a better breakfast. We are always working hard to provide excellent service, clean and spacious rooms, with all amenities ours guests are expecting. We hope to see you soon again.
Thanks for your business!
Surprise, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Upon arrival, the location was alittle uninviting as it is located behind a convenient store and car wash right off the highway. But I put that aside in hopes for a clean and comfortable bed to rest our heads. Check in was fast and we were able to check in early. Our room was second floor, clean and spacious. We were missing a remote for tv, called the front desk and they brought it up quickly. Here's the kicker in the stay....we opened the sofa bed for our son to sleep on which had sheets already on with crumbs in it. We called the front desk and they brought us another sheet and apologized. However it was still gross to put our son in the bed knowing that it wasn't cleaned. After going to sleep, we awoke in time for the breakfast that they advertised and was extremely disappointed! There was no hot/cold cereal or the waffles they mention. The only thing there was 3 danishes and juice. When I inquired as to what happened to the breakfast they advertise, the woman advised me the city closed that down so it had to be removed. She apologized. This was one of the reasons we stayed at the hotel. We were traveling on a budget and having breakfast included was great. We ended up eating out breakfast. I unfortunately do not think I would recommend this hotel or will be staying at this location again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Sycuan Golf Resort
Sycuan Golf Resort
#2 of 14 in El Cajon
BEST WESTERN Santee Lodge

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East? Share your experiences!