“Too much smoke”

Best Western Courtesy Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Staff and guests smoke directly outside of the office door allowing smoke to enter guest rooms via doors and windows. This is a violation of the City Code and is unfair and unhealthy for the guests that don't smoke.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gregory H
DESIREE M, Front Office Manager at Best Western Courtesy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Deborah,
Though I know that you have never been to our hotel, I would imagine that this opinion has been passed along to you by a third party. The reason for which we did allow smoking outside was to deter guests from smoking in our non-smoking rooms, which I imagine would be even more of a nuisance to our non-smoking guests. We have signs everywhere warning guests of our policies and hefty fines for doing so. Though I’m sure you can imagine that no matter which hotel (brand/class) or location, it would be impossible to completely eliminate those who simply do not care about the comfort of others.
We have formulated a new plan in hopes of remedying this situation. We have added a few smoking rooms (away from the other rooms), for those who do smoke and also are almost finished with the design and implementation of a ‘Smoker’s Outpost,’ which will be away from the rooms and be nicely decorated. Once this is in place, we will inform guests that they must smoke in this area.
We most definitely do care about the comfort of our guests, and are excited to see if our new idea does better to address this issue. I do hope that it provides some relief to you as well, should you ever have the need for further accommodations. I appreciate the feedback and also the opportunity to explain our previous and future plans!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this Best Western and the first room they gave us smelld like someone was chain smoking in the room. The hotel staff then moved us to an upgraded room which smelled better. The bath tub in the upgraded room was dirty and I had to clean it prior to taking a shower. There were people living in this hotel as their home. I will not stay at this hotel again when I travel to San Diego. Very disapointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian S

Hello Ian,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. I sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations! It is very unfortunate that there are guests who simply do not care to abide by rules which are set in place in order to accommodate the satisfaction of others. We do have signs posted throughout the hotel as well as have each guest sign that they will be charged a fine should they decide to disobey our non-smoking policy. We have implemented and are continuing to implement improvements which we believe will negate this action. We have added a few smoking rooms and are almost finished with the construction of a beautiful smokers outpost which we help should greatly deter this from happening in the future.
It is very infrequent that we receive negative feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, but I most definitely will be looking back into our records to investigate which of our employees overlooked the cleanliness of your bathtub. I do hope that you received much better housekeeping service for the remainder of your stay!
During your stay we did have two tenants who suffered from being misplaced from their apartments due to the presence of black mold! We did feel much sympathy for these guests, not only for the inconvenience, but to boot these guests were also disabled. I do believe that these are the guests of which you noticed. They have since been able to relocate back into their homes!
Though I realize that your experience at our hotel was not the greatest, I hope that you may give us another shot to provide you with excellent service!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

the way that everything was handled was excellent. I called a couple of days before arrival, and asked for the special needs room, and the girl told Me that she had made sure that it would be available, and guaranteed.

Upon check in, Annie was fast, efficient, and very cordial. The in room internet worked superbly, and the room was very nice. the pool and jacuzzi are open until 10pm, which is also very nice.

I only wish that the ice dispenser gave more ice with the tokens that are provided at the desk.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Rich!
I appreciate you for being such an excellent guest as well! :) I will pass along the complimentary words to Annie. She is our gem guest service representative and your kind words will hopefully reach the ears of other ‘Tripadvisor-ites’ and hopefully future guests of our hotel who will have the pleasure of meeting her. We look forward to welcoming you again! Have a great New Year!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

not inform us that breakfast ended at 9am. It should be printed at the confirmation receipt. The man at the counter was not helpful and refused to talk about this issue. As the result we had to spend money to buy breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Justin,
I do apologize for the misunderstanding regarding our breakfast hours! It is not typical that we provide a copy of the registration paperwork to our guests upon check-in, unless requested, but I will follow your advice and print the hours on them. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place is filthy, horrible, scary, dirty, and shady. I came here with some friends after a convention in San Diego. I thought I could trust the Best Western name..this is not up to par with Best Western's Standards. The parking lot seems shady with "locals?" milling about and loitering. Bad bad situation, seems dangerous. The pool is incredibly small but seemed clean as did the hot tub but fear of the parking lot characters will certainly keep you out of the pool area. One window in a room down the hall from us was broken and duct taped in place, Creepy strange people seem to be living there. If you can go anywhere else, even if you have to drive all night, do it.

Room Tip: don't stay here if you aren't forced to
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I sincerely apologize for your bad experience at our hotel! We truly do strive to keep our hotel as clean as possible, and I assure you that that was not a guest room window in need of repair, rather a storage room and has since been fixed. Again, I am sorry for your dissatisfaction!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel Circle in San Diego was sold out so we traveled on and saw this place in El Cajon. Nothing fancy--typical Best Western. The staff was very friendly. We were looking for a good restaurant for dinner and Annie gave us good, clear directions to an AWESOME seafood resturant named Anthony's. Hispanic gentleman was very courteous and friendly when we checked out in the a.m. also.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Veronica!
I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! I will definitely pass along the kind words to Annie and John. Thank you for being such an awesome guest and we all hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Horrible Beds! Plus bedbugs! The room is painted very dark in the room and can be compared to the cheapest motel 6 in a bad area! Shady characters sit on the sidewalk by the elevator smoking for hours. I didn't feel safe! Trust me, get another hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ayres Lodge Alpine
#1 of 2 in Alpine
Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium

Been to Best Western Courtesy Inn? Share your experiences!