“A very bad experience”

Best Western Continental Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Admittedly, my husband and I went to this place because we found a bargain on the internet. We should have kept right on going and not stopped. There was a used hypodermic needle in the parking lot, as well as a lady sitting on the grass who had consumed a large bottle of alcohol. The latch was broken on the door, so we felt the need to put heavy furniture in front of it for some added measure of safety. The bed was very uncomfortable. Walls were thin, and we could hear the conversation in the room beside ours. I would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Connie P

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I frequent this Best Western often, for a number of reasons -- the helpfulness of the staff, the pleasantness of the personnel, the cleanliness of the room, the comfort of the beds, a very nice pool and jacuzzi area (possibly the nicest, definitely the warmest, jacuzzi I have had the pleasure of enjoying, and so much more. The prices are very reasonable for the quality that you receive, and, I sincerely am looking forward to My next visit, which will be soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Due to some personal engagements in the greater San Diego area, we have been staying here repeatedly in the last several months. It is our preferred place to stay because of the location (ease of access to the greater San Diego & El Cajon area), the pricing, and the staff friendliness.

The rooms are straightforward & clean, with the standard amenities. The morning meal fixings make it simple to grab a quick bite & be out & about for the day.

The rooms have been getting updates this year, with new flat screen tv's & new mattresses, which are definitely appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

But I will list out a few things that I find important:

The carpet with clean. Walked around a bit without shoes or socks. No stickiness or yucky feeling on my feet. Although I still preferred to wear booties.
The bathroom was clean. No mold or mildew. No slow draining tub. Good water pressure and heat. No dish to hold the bar soap next to the sink; not a big deal. But water and suds got all over the immediate counter.
Had a refrigerator and microwave. The microwave was very weak.
Bed was acceptable. No bed bugs. Average firm mattress.
The motel is sandwiched btwn the highway, which is hidden behind tree, and the main streets of El Cajon. Something to keep in mind of you're a light sleeper. Target is down the road if you need to grocery shop; Starbucks was a block away. The city's mall and downtown were a close drive as well.
All in all-would I ever return? Prob not. Chose this spot originally cuz the husband and I were there for business and we were not familiar with the area. This motel was very close to where we needed to be, and I get BWestern rewards. There is a second BWestern in town. When we're back next month, we'll check that place out unless there is a huge difference in cost.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AntnttaJ
Reviewed March 28, 2013

BW Continental INN has become my hotel of choice in the San Diego area.
Great prices and good location.
It is an older Best Western - but clean and comfortable.
Great location - only 20 minutes to the beach and 20 minutes to Syscuan Casino (my favorite)
Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went to visit my son, who lives in El Cajon, for a couple of days over the weekend. I usually stay at La Quinta but the closest one was 15 miles away. Booking over the Internet was very easy. The person at the front desk during check-in was pleasant. Very sketchy people standing around outside during the 11 pm arrival on a Friday night. The room has zero insulation regarding sound so I had to have the fan on both nights in order to filter the noise of the freeway and the adjacent rooms. I wanted to plug my phone in to charge it and finally had to use the outlet by the bathroom sink since the room outlets were plugged in with numerous cords, probably due to the hotel being so old. All in all, sketchy people around the hotel at night, poor sound insulation and not a very good sense of cleanliness. I would not stay there agin during future visits.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the side of the highway (8). Not only do you have the freeway there, but the tr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Bill K
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Noisy freeway 50' away. With the old leaky windows, it is a good thing that we could run the A/C fan all night to help drown out the noise. Housekeeping had stuffed the coffee maker electrical cord into the water reservoir - not a sanitary way to handle food preparation equipment. When I asked the hotel clerk if housekeeping sanitizes the electrical cord, she said, "I don't know, go ask housekeeping." I told her that I didn't want to do her job and left. Although I rinsed out the coffee maker reservoir a couple times and made coffee, I decided not to drink it. I have no idea what chemicals or dirt may have been on the housekeeper's hands before stuffing the electric cord - Yuck! I don't need someone to make me sick.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Super 8 El Cajon CA
Super 8 El Cajon CA
#4 of 15 in El Cajon

Been to Best Western Continental Inn? Share your experiences!