“Not what you'd expect from a Four Seasons”

Four Seasons Hotel Silicon Valley at East Palo Alto
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Palo Alto
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This place is a real mix. I'll start with the ba stuff in case you don't read the entire review. I've been staying here for about 2 weeks. I have never come across a set of front desk staff that are so condescending. Having said that, there was one lovely young girl that was working when I checked out who was very sweet. I wonder if they maybe confuse acting snooty with trying to exude class?
The other negative is the location. This hotel is on the edge of a very nasty neighborhood. When speaking with the locals they recommended not walking too far from the property at night. This is a shame because Palo Alto is not far away at all and if it was safe to walk, this would be a lovely destination.
The restaurant is excellent. Each time I ate there the food was excellent. They do have a fairly large selection of wines but their half bottle/glass selection is limited. I'm not sure but I don't think they are using inert gases for the open bottles. The staff in the restaurant are nothing like the front desk staff. What they might have lacked in experience, they made up for with enthusiasm and a genuine desire to make my dining experience the best it could be.
The rooms are nice but a bit sterile. This is true of the entire hotel. They do have great collection of art though which really notched them up in my opinion.
I would summarize by saying that if you are here on business for only a few days then this is probably a good choice. If you are here for an extended period, consider the Westin or the Sheraton which are right in the heart of Palo Alto.

Hope this helps

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank thoughtfission

Reviewed July 26, 2008

I stayed here for three nights for a family wedding in the area. We were in the lowest category of room at a very reasonable wedding rate. I've stayed at a large number of FS hotels, and I found the room while nice enough, and certainly better than the other rooms in nearby hotels I saw, was not up to FS standards. the bathroom was small, the decor was nondescript. The view was of the freeway. There is not much within easy walking distance, it's in a business park. The hotel does offer an Escalade for short distance travel, and it's a short drive to plenty of decent restaurants.

The staff and service live up to the FS brand and certainly the restaurant and public areas were lovely. The small spa, rooftop pool, and fitness room looked like they were trying hard to be FS spectacular, but they were constrained by the location and size. The pool is the size of a lap pool, with a fairly large hot tub adjacent. It's fine when no one else is there, but one day a group of 8--10 little girls had a birthday party in one of the cabans and that was it for anyone else who wanted to enjoy the pool. It was very odd, as the pool area tries to be hipper-than-thou with frozen grapes, pulsing techno music, and a water wall, and screaming little girls occupied it all for several hours.

This really is a first class business hotel trying hard to be a typical FS resort hotel and it doesn't work for that. The freeway views, somber decor, and small space just do not a romantic getaway make. But the flawless service and reliable quality bedding, linens, and upgraded electronics certainly make it a fine stay for anyone on business. The food was good but not great.

I doubt I'll ever stay here again mainly because I don't see myself in the area for any reason, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as the finest option for business travellers in the area, and a reliable, safe, seamless FS experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SheaG
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stay here about 4 nights a month on business and I must say this hotel and it's staff deliver a flawless experience every time. When you pull up the valets are there to greet you immediately will obviously help you with bags if you need it. Front desk is efficient and quick and treat you like a person. If you're a repeat visitor they remember your preferences and give nice little perks as a way of saying thank you.

Rooms are modern and perfectly appointed with fantstically comfortable beds. Huge bathrooms with dual vanities plus tub and shower. Robes, slippers, high-end toiletries if you need them. Local magazines in the room. Complimentary newspaper of your choice. Great work area. Flat screen TVs. Nice gym with iced water and gatorade refilled continuously. Small yet relaxing pool area with bar and cabanas.

The ONLY thing to keep in mind when you book is about half the rooms face directly onto the 101 freeway... right there (about 200 feet from your window) not in the distance. Noise is not a problem at all... you can hear nothing but I personally prefer somethig a little less busy outside my window all night. If that applies to you too just ask for a courtyard room.

Without a doubt the best hotel in the area and only 5 minutes drive from downtown Palo Alto.

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank BiscottiCalifornia
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Our two night stay at The Four Seasons Silicon Valley was a much needed kid-friendly adventure and mini-retreat for a tired mom! Often I am with the kids while my husband works and faced with yet another summer weekend alone with the kids, I decided to pack up and take a break from cooking and cleaning!!

I received what I consider a great value - their weekend rate. I had a king room connected to a double room. Both rooms have a chaise lounge that would be adequate to sleep a young child who wouldn't roll off - say a 5 -10 year old? However, with the comfy plush bedding that this hotel name features - that young child might feel slighted at that suggestion!!

As customary with this hotel name, my kids received wonderful goodies to welcome them to their stay: kids cup, coloring book, crayons, m&ms, cheetos in a cardboard car box. Plus, on a plate with their names written out in chocolate, they received two chocolate chip cookies, fruit and gummi bears.

The pool was wonderful. 3.5 - 4.5 foot lap pool with swim noodles and kickboards provided. The kids were offered frozen grapes, Otter Pops, smoothies and water.

The pool, spa and fitness are all located on the 3rd floor - very convenient for families to stay on this level! Each time we passed the fitness room, we stocked up on our mini water bottles. A great little shortcut to avoid paying outrageous beverage prices.

Room service was great and portions are generous. Kids were able to split meals. A $5 chocolate sundae is ample for two children under age 8. A $7 grilled cheese is also ample portion size for 2 children under age 8. (Remember, free bottled water in the fitness so no need for beverages.)

It's worth mentioning that this property has self-parking. I loathe paying parking fees! Wireless internet is $12 which is reasonable to me.

I left the hotel refreshed and recharged with some happy kids in tow!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Momplus5
Reviewed June 26, 2008

After spending two nights at the Monterey Plaza Hotel (see review), it was a delight to walk into the air conditioned serenity of the Four Seasons and be taken care of. Everything was superb, from the extremely comfortable bed to the spacious bathroom with lovely amenities. The restaurant served a gourmet italian dinner with a california twist, and the breakfast was also delicious and well prepared. The service is seamless--well worth the price.

Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank suze_shoes
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I stayed at the Four Seasons Palo Alto on business. After a 3-hr flight delay, I arrived knackered at the hotel past midnight on the night before an early-a.m. meeting. The woman at the front desk asked how my travel went, and upgraded me to an enormous suite when I said that it wasn't the best day to ask. The next morning I was greeted by smiling staff (front desk, doormen, valet); what a relief when you roll out of bed expecting to be in a foul mood for the day. This Four Seasons stay allowed me to keep my sanity. I travel frequently for work and find travel mostly a necessary hassle, but I can say nothing but great things about the Four Seasons delivering EVERY time I travel (Boston, Maui, Palo Alto, Westlake CA, NYC...).

This hotel is very conveniently located on University Ave, near Stanford. It has a new/updated feel, and the beds were clean & comfortable. The wake up call was on time (amazing how often I'm fortunate to have a back-up alarm when I travel), and the breakfast was tasty (and expectedly expensive). I was in and out of there in about 7 hours, so cannot comment on much more... but again, I'd reiterate the excellent service. Four Seasons has been one of the rare exceptions when I travel of getting what I pay for.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank paulieg19
Reviewed June 19, 2008

This is a great hotel. It's on the west side of 101, so its across the road from East Palo Alto. It's in a very nice office park with low traffic. I was on the 6th floor facing 101, but there was no noise at all, and I hate noise.
A large room, lots of space. Comfortable chairs and chaise.
Large flat screen. Comfotable bed, but I didn't like the 3 foot long pillows. You control the thermostat to the degree setting you want.

The staff is nice and helpful. Free morning coffee and biscotti.
Free papers and several choices always available. Nice lobby.
Self park is outside and convenient, altho it was sunny when I was there, you might want to valet if its rainy.
This was a splurge for Stanford graduation. I paid $385. The Westin was a better value at $180 for Parent's Weekend, and it's a nice hotel(see my review) but it's not even close to the Four Seasons in class. Courtyard is a cheaper, acceptable choice I used on other parent's weekends. Hyatt Rickey's was a DUMP! in 2000 and I would be afraid to go back.
If you want to bypass the traffic on University ask the Front Desk.
Getting on University, take Middenfield one block to Lytton. Go to Alma, go left at the light , then left again to get back on University, and you will avoid all the stop and go. Going east on University, stay right and loop around to Alma and on to Lytton and so on.

If you get over the fact that you're not in Wailea or London, you will love this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
Rosewood Sand Hill
Rosewood Sand Hill
#3 of 11 in Menlo Park

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Silicon Valley at East Palo Alto? Share your experiences!