“Average Motel”
Review of Dunsmuir Lodge

Dunsmuir Lodge
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at this motel for one night during our recent visit to Mount Shasta. The motel was very basic and I felt that the rate was high for that, we paid about 90$ for a king bed room even during the off season. The room was okay and clean. The location of the motel is very good, just off the I5. The continental breakfast was a big disappointment. The only good thing (other than the location) was the person at the front desk, he gave me lot of valuable information about what I could see throughout the day in nearby areas.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AshimB
Dunsmuir L, Owner at Dunsmuir Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

We are sorry that this guest was not happy with the stay. However, we believe he has referenced the incorrect lodge and the incorrect charge for the room he described. Our price is less than $90. We do not serve a continental breakfast, preferring to support our local restaurants in town, which are very close and serve wonderful breakfasts. Also, this is not the "off" season for Dunsmuir because we have the kinds of outdoor activities, such as fishing and skiing, that are open and available all year. This is a destination year round. This review does not describe our property at all.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Everyone was right this is a cute lodge. It sits on the outskirts of town and has been totally renovated the beds are wonderful and the decor cute. Now the down side the employee was anything but friendly I believe it was the owner. He must have been having a bad day as he was downright unfriendly. I signed a slip to use my credit card which I thought was odd since he had already ran my credit card and than I went into the room and figured it out. The towells have a posting if you use the wrong color towell on clean up or bath and it is soiled or stolen you will be charged so many dollars per towell. If your dog barks which I agree is disruptive you will be charged 125.00! So in otherwords you think you have had a wonderful stay and than possibly get home to see you have been charged more which in our case didnt happen. Perhaps because we did have our pug with us we werent treated as well. The room was very dusty which happens when they sit for awhile understandable. The fridge was unplugged when we opened it water came gushing out from a ziplock bag that apparently had held ice at one time. I took the towell to clean it off the floor and it turned black . The fridge was dirty overlooked in a cleaning before. Dunsmuir is an adorable little town everywhere else we went the people were wonderful and friendly. Perhaps he was having an off day. At anyrate you must try the dogwood diner when in town the food is fresh and delicious and the help is wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peggy L
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Lodge was wonderful, clean rooms, friendly staff. The rooms were as described; very cute country decor. I loved the quilts. Our room was #14, and it was surprisingly warm , even though the temp outside was a whopping 16 degrees. Our room had a shower only, and the bathroom was on the smaller side, however the charm of the room & staff overshadowed that. They also gave a great recommendation for breakfast at the Cornerstone. The food was excellent! Will definitely return to this great little lodge!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place was great! Rooms were very clean and well appointed. Close to downtown, Mt. Shasta, and Weed. Many beautiful natural wonders to behold. The employees were very helpful and had sleds for guests to use on a hill behind the lodge. I will be returning to Dunsmuir Lodge again soon.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Front desk staff was very helpful and knowledgable and made great dinner recommendations. The lodge is located near the river with a lookout towards the canyon, a great place for a picnic or to settle in with a good book. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I made a reservation a week ahead for a certain room and arrived after 12 hrs of driving to find it had been given to someone else. The room I ended up with was small but looked comfortable and clean. I put my head on a pillow and it reeked of what I at first thought was body odor, so had to spray with perfume, and when I tried putting a towel over it realized the smell was from the laundry....yuk...I had noticed the same odor on the clothes of the person who checked me in.
My next surprise was there were no electric outlets in the bathroom! To dry my hair I had to unplug the coffee machine and to charge my phone and camera unplug the lamp!! When I stopped at Mt. Shasta the next morning I found I could have stayed very comfortably with electric outlets for $20.00 cheaper!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank DevonshireDanaPoint
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and found it to be quiet, very clean, and comfortable. The owners are friendly and helpful. It's located very handily for access to downtown and for fishing the Upper Sacramento rive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ciscodean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunsmuir
Oak Tree Inn Dunsmuir
#1 of 3 in McCloud
Cedar Lodge Motel
Cedar Lodge Motel
#2 of 6 in Dunsmuir

Been to Dunsmuir Lodge? Share your experiences!