“My idea of a magical escape”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunsmuir
Cave Springs Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Seattle, Washington
“My idea of a magical escape”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stumbled on Cave Springs years ago just looking for a place to stay on a trip down the I-5. I feel deeply in love with it that first night. It’s not for everyone. My own wife says it’s too rustic for her preference, so trips here are Daddy and kid time. We find it magic. For a long time camper, the cabins are a delightful “camping lite” experience. Other times, for brief stays when we are traveling light, we’ve also enjoyed the more modern motel rooms. The views are gorgeous, the cedar forest smells heavenly, the pool and grounds are wonderful, and we love the sounds of the trains winding up the canyon just across the river. Over the years we have found great hiking and boating in the area and we have favorite restaurants in both Dunsmuir and just up the road in Mt Shasta City. Two fairly new places we discovered last week in Dunsmuir are great! If you are the kind of person who thinks anything much over 10 years old is creepy, this isn’t for you, but if you adore immersion in a place that evokes the mountain resort traditions of the 1950s and even farther back in the 1920s and where you can still sleep in a comfy bed, swim in a nice pool, and use your laptop, this is a cool place.

Room Tip: If you want a/c, cable TV and a modern bathroom, choose the motel rooms. The cabins are rustic, but...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dan P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We ended up at Cave Springs after our first lodging arrangement didn't work out and this place was recommended by someone in town. We stayed in a motel room for one night and though it wasn't fancy it was clean and comfortable. (And cost half of what we would have paid at the first motel.) The biggest selling point was the warm and friendly welcome from the gal at the desk. Being in the hotel business myself I know that the attitude of the employees can really make or break a guest's experience. The grounds here are lovely; beautiful mature pines, flowers, and plenty of chairs to relax and enjoy the surroundings. I love that this fifties' motel (I believe the cabins are actually older) has retained so much of it's original charm, though there could be a bit more attention paid to the room furnishings to really enhance the retro vibe. Still the great service and beautiful grounds make this a great value in Dunsmuir.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pam W
Redwood City CA
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Though the motel room decor is stuck in the 70's everything is immaculate and the mattresses and pillows are quite new and are of good quality and excellent comfort. The property contains small cabins and manufactured homes for longer stays (we spent one night only) and they are along the creek. There is a city park along Dunsmuir with a wonderful botanical garden adjacent to the property. Didn't stay long enough to enjoy the poo, hot tub or inviting lawn with colorful chairs but I'd like to come again to stay longer. Our host was friendly and always available.

Room Tip: Motel rooms are all away from the street. A couple of the resort cabins are nearer the road, freeway...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rwcmom
Chico, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just stayed at Cave Springs for the 4th. Live music and fireworks were fun. Nice family atmosphere. The cabins are very "rustic", but that is part of the charm of this place. Its like stepping back in time. Conveniently located to hike Mt Shasta, etc. Check it out.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank ChicoGuy
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We started our search for a vacation property near Lake Shasta last year. This was going to be our first trip in the area and for the first time time we were bringing our dog (we also added another before our trip).
We stayed at the cabin (Lookout) for one week. Louie was a great host and if there were any problems,he took care of them right away. The city park was within walking distance and worked out great for the dogs. The unit did come with it's own hot tub,which is great (the one by the swimming pool looked a little grimy). We did try to use the swimming pool but it was as cold as ice cubes. When we inquired about that,we were told it was "heated by solar panels",and in the week were there we only saw about 3 people use the pool (in and out). The outside sign say's "free HBO",but I guess it was not piped into our room. There was a bar-b-q supplied that was nice (that we had to clean,before we used it). The upstairs loft worked out o.k. for my 15 year old,but he had to stoop down,as the room is probably about 4ft. high. It really would have been nice to have been referred to Mt.Shasta when we got there,when we asked for the best place to shop for groceries. The store in town is WAY OVER PRICED! and seems to take advantage of the tourists. When we went to Shasta (about 10-15 mn. away), We found "Ray's",a supermarket with everything you need and reasonable prices. I don't mind patronizing the "local's",but when you have a family,do you really want to spend $80 in groceries,when you can get more than twice as much in Shasta?
When we looked for our 2013 vacation place,there were very few "pet friendly" options. This was one that we found that seemed both affordable and accommodating. Make sure you bring your own shampoo. There is no room service as well. WiFi worked great most of the time,but did have it's moments when the connection dropped.

Room Tip: Pictures posted were of our room. They were not to off from the ones posted on the web site (except...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott P
Mt Shasta
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was very thankful to find this gem! This is a older resort and I had a room in the motel. Before I stay in a place I always check out the room. I have many allergies and travel with an air purifier. The room in the motel where I stayed was great. There were no musty smells or perfume I did not need the air purifier. The room smelled fresh and clean from fresh air not artificial cover ups. The carpet was very clean. The heat and the air conditioning worked great new thermostats on the wall. There was a heat lamp in the bathroom which was nice. I noticed the screen was torn and mentioned it to Louie (most awesome host!) and he replaced it right away. Also I noticed there were double windows an added feature. The room was very clean and comfortable. Good TV CD/VCR player in the room. Fridge and micro also.
There are wonderful trails just beyond the property is the city park with the Dunsmuir Botanical Garden and the Sacramento River where I saw fisherman with all their gear having fun. The landscaping was just beautiful and beyond there were older small cabins, that families rented and were enjoying themselves cooking outside and enjoying the nature in a park-like setting with very tall trees. There was some noise from Rt 5 and the train does come through several times day and night but I was not bothered. I was very comfortable and have I couldn't have been happier. Thanks Louie!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We definitely have mixed feelings about this place. The grounds are rustic and beautiful and you can walk to the Sacramento River. Louie Dewey was very personable when making the reservations via telephone, but he quoted $59.00/night for a cabin on the telephone and we were charged $79.00/night for Sat/Sun and $59.00 for Monday.

The cabin was clean and you could hear the gurgle of Sacramento River when the noise from I-5 or the very nearby train (tracks across the river) subsided, but those were extremely rare moments. The bed was creaky and the mattress was very thin and uncomfortable. All the electrical outlets, save the one in the kitchen ceiling were dead and the wiring was suspect. The bathroom was a nightmare, stripped faucets, broken mirror glass with exposed sharp edges, broken fiberglass in the shower stall. A little TLC and a lot of elbow grease by the owners in each cabin would make a world of difference.

We never received the extra pillows we asked for and when we inquired about the hot tub, we were told “it’ll be fixed tomorrow." It never worked during our stay.

The area is a vacation treat (especially for hikers) and there are many lodging choices nearby, but if you decide to stay at this resort, book the Lookout Cabin – it’s a new cabin, built three years ago ($159 – 179 per night) and looked perfect for a couple or small family. After our second sleepless night, we asked if we could move to the Lookout Cabin for Monday night, but they wanted to charge us the full rate even though it went unbooked.

Room Tip: We never saw the motel rooms (which we heard were a bit better), but the Lookout Cabin would be the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Michael g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunsmuir
Dunsmuir Lodge
#6 of 9 in Mount Shasta
Swiss Holiday Lodge
Swiss Holiday Lodge
#5 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Cave Springs Resort? Share your experiences!