“Loved this little place”
Review of Dogwood Diner - CLOSED

Dogwood Diner
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We specialize in locally sourced, organic, sustainable California Comfort Fare. We take pride in our use of great quality ingredients, prepared simply. Each dish is lovingly made from scratch, from the pastries and pancake batters, to the "Daddy's Pickles" to the hand cut fries with house made ketchup and aioli. We embrace the "Slow Food" philosophy in order to bring you a unique, delicious dining experience in a casual, cozy atmosphere. Check out the Brown Trout Vintage located adjacent to the Diner, featuring gently used clothing and jewelry and vintage curiosities. Don't miss the stream running directly beneath the store, the gorgeous stained glass window in the restroom, or the beautiful back room space - available for private catered events!
Montgomery Creek, California
“Loved this little place”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A great little place tucked up in the mountains. The name diner in it's name kind of throws off what it really is though.
My husband and I brought our niece and her boyfriend in for dinner one night. They had recommended it to us. I had the organic chicken, my husband had the halibut with white beans, a polenta dish and the portobella steak with cashew gravy was eaten by our Vegan friend. Every dish was presented beautifully and the flavors were very good. We enjoyed it so much we came back for breakfast. Everything was good again, from the Vegan Buckwheat pancakes to the steak and eggs and iced vanilla lattes.
I can't help but think that the negative reviews are from people totally biased against this place for some reason.
I have eaten in some of the the best restaurants in California and I know a good one when I taste it.
The only thing I would change was the wine glasses and the selection of wine offered.
We'll be back!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TonyaL84

san francisco
“old timey place. NO diner food here.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a quality restaurant with organic vegetables and high quality local meat. Its connected to a nice shopping gallery and antique store. I go here at least 3 times a week. Killer breakfast. open 3 meals a day 7 days a week.

Visited June 2013
Medical Lake
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding diner!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We went for dinner and breakfast. The food is organic and fresh and wonderfully presented. The portions are huge , the help is wonderful. You must try the angel biscuit but it is not the size of a normal biscuit more like a hamburger bun and so light and fluffy! We will definately stop here everytime we go buy. The prices also were more than reasonable.

Visited April 2013
Dunsmuir, California
“I'm sorry, I wanted to like you Dogwood but you're just not that tasty.”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This diner is really cute. I wanted to like it. The waitress and everyone working was super nice and helpful. I had heard from some locals this place was great and from other's that it was almost good but just missed the mark.

From my experience, I'd say it misses the mark when it comes to taste.

I ordered the Grass Fed Beef Burger medium rare- more on the rare side- and Hand Cut Fries. The plate looked beautiful, however the flavor was NON-EXISTENT. The burger was more towards the well done end and had little to NO seasoning.The aoli on the burger had a bit of flavor but not much and it doesn't matter what sauce you plop on top if the meat isn't seasoned properly.

The fries looked good but also had no seasoning and were not cooked properly. Thick hand cut fries either need to be par-boiled then fried or fried twice. Doesn't seem that either was done.

I also had a cream cheese pastry with a berry compote. Which again, didn't taste like anything. Call me crazy, but when I eat food that taste like nothing, I'm a bit confounded. How can a restaurant serve food that tastes like nothing? And seasoning food after it's cooked/baked is not effective or tasty. Essentially you've just paid someone to heat ingredients... it's not the same as cooking.

Nothing was so horribly wrong that I had a horrendous experience per se, but it wasn't worth my money if I have season my food after it's been cooked.

That being said, I think some people will like this place though. I saw a lot of older folks there who raved about the food. Folks who are from the generation that you cook things without seasoning, put it on the table and let everyone salt and pepper it themselves which is what I saw everyone at the other two tables doing. Personally, I don't subscribe to that kind of cooking and especially don't appreciate when I go to a restaurant.

All in all, it felt like the Dogwood Diner knows how good food should look but doesn't actually have the chops to actually make it taste good. I learned later that the head chef was out of town, so I may try it again when she returns, but if the use of basic seasoning isn't known or taught in the kitchen, I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Visited April 2013
Eugene, Oregon
“Hidden Gem with great food and nice service”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were driving North to Eugene and stopped in the cute little town of Dunsmuir for lunch. Since it was a Sunday, most places were closed and we were recommended to go down around the corner to the Dogwood Diner, which was decorated with cool antiques and next to a boutique.

Our lunch was delicious, including a good minestrone soup and a pasta dish with homemade pesto that was SOOO good! They also have a large selection of pastries and I am sure it would be a great place for breakfast and coffee too. The menu was small, but with just enough variety. Great food, great service, I would recommend it highly!

• Visited March 2013