“Nothing Fancy, but a Nice Place to Stay on the River”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Downieville
Downieville River Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Downieville B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My family first stayed at the River Inn in August 2008, before the change in management, and I can honestly say that improvements have been made by the new management that have improved conditions at the River Inn. My family (2 adults and 3 teenagers) stayed for 5 days at the River Inn and did notice that our rooms were cleaner and the rooms were serviced with fresh towels and general cleaning more frequently this year (although not every day, but a vast improvement over last year). The ice machine now works and the soda machine was finally moved from the heat of the parking lot to next to the ice machine indoors. The new management was very nice and tried to accommodate our requests the best they could – check in and out was easy. Everything in the room worked fine, but still no cable TV or telephones. The office does have lots of movies that can be borrowed for free – this kept the kids busy for hours since their cell phones didn’t work at the Inn (a positive thing I believe). The River Inn is in a great location; it’s just a few minutes walk to a grocery store, restaurants and the local watering hole. We had a great time BBQ'ing on the lawn of the hotel at night under the stars – Downieville was very quiet and peaceful, we very much enjoyed our stay at the River Inn and hope they continue to make the much needed improvments. It’s not fancy, but it was clean and the staff was great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank aperio
There are newer reviews for Downieville River Inn and Resort

Reviewed September 25, 2008

Actually, I would rate our overall experience something between "okay but some problems" and "terrible." It doesn't seem clean for one thing. As I lay on the bed, I looked up to see a family of spiders hanging above me. The beds are pretty uncomfortable. Downieville itself is quite the dump. Dogs barking all night, guys roaring through town in huge trucks. It is probably an okay place if you are going hiking or rafting or biking. Time seemed to stand still. Let me say, the best thing about Downieville and the River Inn and "Resort" was seeing them in my rearview mirror.

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank Rosiq
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I stayed just one night so that I could ride the great mountain bike trails around Downieville on Saturday and Sunday. I was won over by the charm of the hotel. It was built in the 30's, has 10 rooms and 3 cottages, and is starting to show some signs of wear. It could use a little TLC. But I won't hold that against it. The caretaker, Donyale (I think) was a hoot... a real character who made our stay nice. The room was great... but I could do without the wallpaper and homemade quilts. We had a nice view of the river and town from our balcony, and the beds were comfy enough.

One of the great things about the place is the community that pops up there. They have barbecues on the (little) lawn, and people come out and cook dinner, kids throw frisbees, and people get together to chat and talk about their bike rides. It was pretty cool. The place also has a pool (unheated, but not too cold in August), a Sauna (didn't go in) and it is right on the river.

On the downside, there is no cell service at all anywhere in Downieville. The rooms had no TV. There was no continental breakfast. But those are just minor gripes. I would definitely stay again.

Oh, and to answer that negative review from that person from Reno, I don't know what her problem is. She said that this was on a busy road... it is Downieville, so nothing there is busy, and this road (only about 1 car wide) is a dead end, with almost nothing else on it. So, no it isn't busy.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank GeoffMack
Reviewed June 3, 2008

The Downieville River Inn is nothing like the pictures posted on its website! The Inn is not on the river like it says- there is a busy road between the Inn and the river. Also, the Inn is surrounded by parking lots in the front and back of it. The room we booked looked like it had a balcony view over the river when in fact it overlooked one of the parking lots! It was very noisy since many people seemed to park on the street next to the Inn and party near their cars or by the river- we heard people until 3:00 am and then constant noise from the people below us (including non-stop barking dogs). The Inn is also really rundown and the office was closed almost the entire time we were there. There was no breakfast pastries or night time cheese and wine event like it states on their website. We couldn't wait to leave both the Inn and Downieville! It was way over-priced and a rip-off. It was supposed to be our one romantic getaway after having our baby and it turned out to be a nightmare.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bluebellReno
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We dropped in without reservations and stayed for two nights on the 24th and 25th of July, 2006. They had ample vacancy despite a major event was taking place in town on the following weekend. Staff promptly went out of their way to make us happy, bending over backwards whenever we had a request, and even found someone for us that provided local riding directions for our bike excursions. Accomodations had a 5-star feel, while providing a "get away from it all" seclusion.

They are right across the river and over the first bridge as you drive into Downieville on 49 from Auburn. [----]

John Roberts
Arlington, VA

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank JuanTu3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downieville
Chalet View Lodge
#3 of 5 in Sierra City
Nakoma Resort
Nakoma Resort
#2 of 2 in Clio

Been to Downieville River Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!