“My Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Sierra

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Downieville
Shangri-La Sierra
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Downieville
Spring, Texas
“My Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've been taking my vacations in the Sierras for several years now, as I love the mountains and have gotten into prospecting as a way to relax. It's like hunting, except you don't have to harm little critters while doing it.

I first found the Sierra Shangri La I think in 2011, when Patty and Richard had just started as the new innkeepers there. Let me tell ya they are just as charming today as they were back then, and the Shangri La has become my home away from home. They keep the place spotless, the beds are comfortable, and the sound of the Yuba lulls me into a nice deep restful sleep every time. I usually stay at La Siesta, but have also been in the Flycaster, and last October I tried a B&B room. They're all pretty nice, but La Siesta remains my favorite.

Downieville is such a neat little town, full of history and some of the nicest, most laid back folk you'll ever meet. I've never even heard one mean word in all the times I've been up there. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The rooms/cabins seem priced according to size. The Jim Crow is the most remote, and the La Siesta...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank pkosmoski

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We made our reservation at the last minute and the innkeeper was more than accommodating. We asked for and received the Kingfisher room in the lodge. As noted in other reviews, the room is small, but very clean and has a sliding glass door which leads to a deck overlooking the river. We were there for only one night and the cottages require a two night minimum so we will return at a later date and stay in one of the cottages which are also overlooking the river. The resort has the appearance of being a little dated, but is very well kept and the grounds are a quiet delight.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We always wanted to stay here many years ago. Fortunately, we got in on a cancellation. We stayed in La Siesta. The cabin was right on the river and enjoyed our time alone and our peace and quiet. If you want a peaceful vacation near the Lakes Basin, book this cabin. The location and view will be perfect.

Room Tip: Ask Jill what u are look for. She is very helpful. 3 cabins on the river. Extra cost worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie H
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Yuba River flowing through the wooded property creates the most wonderful, soothing background for complete relaxation. The inn is well-maintained, with lovely large lawns and gardens. The resort has a private (rocky) beach with wading and swimming areas. The innkeepers shared gold-panning supplies, inflatables, books and games to entertain our family; we rarely left the property.

Before making this reservation a few months before our trip, I read about other resorts around Downieville. After driving by those others during this trip, I believe I made the right decision in selecting Shangri-La - cottages are more spread out, private.

Downieville itself does not have much in the way of grocery stores/ - so may be best to bring/ buy supplies in Grass Valley/Nevada City on your way up --

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sam M
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed for only one night at the B&B , Kingfisher room, at the Shangri-La and had a very nice time. The rooms were small, but clean with a deck overlooking the river. I would recommend the Kingfisher room at the end of the building, because it has a window (in addition to the sliding glass door). This allows for more light to come in and a more open feeling. The inn is in a beautiful setting right on the river and is a perfect place to unwind, listen to the river, and relax. The innkeepers, Richard and Patty, were wonderful and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. It was our anniversary, and we were lucky enough to stay on a night that they made a dinner for us for a very reasonable price. It was delicious - wonderful lasagna made with Patty's homemade pasta, a lovely fresh salad, and delicious homemade bread. The presentation was very nice, and they delivered the dinner to our room and even warmed plates! This was all so nice, since there aren't any restaurants open for dinner in either Downieville or Sierra City this time of year (end of March). We had planned on bringing a picnic dinner until Patty offered to make us dinner. The breakfast was also very good …a yummy fritatta (I think it had potatoes in it), delicious freshly made juice from their juicer, and the best smoothie I have ever had. We would love to go back again sometime and stay in one of their housekeeping cabins on the river …looks so warm and cozy. I can just picture us in the cabin with the wood stove going/or us sitting on the deck overlooking the river. No matter where you are, you can hear the roaring sound of the river. We will definitley go back.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Kingfisher room at the end of the building, because it has a window (in additi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mogoCalifornia
Reno NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

On the Yuba River, the B&B rooms and housekeeping cottages are a delight for ALL your senses. My husband and I had the Kingfisher end B&B room. Relaxing on the deck our first night the crimson sunset was mesmerizing and the river lulled us to a peaceful sleep. It was hard to wake from our soooo comfortable bed the next morning, but Patty arrived with such a visually appealing and most delicious breakfast. We then explored the grounds, the river and took in all the sights & sounds this enchanting place had to offer. Our one night felt like a very long weekend! It wasn't long before we went back. We could imagine how wonderful it must have been for the folks spending a week or so in the cottages in the woods or on the river. Whether walking, fishing, swimming, reading, or just quietly relaxing on your deck listening to the river, you're in another world. (I do live in a very big city) Places like this are the hidden gems you come across that you're afraid to share because you want it to be available whenever you can get away, but these places are so amazing you simply have to let others know so the experience can be shared and passed on. This world is made better when we are blessed to have time & memories from Shangri-La's. Make your reservation at Sierra Shangri-La today. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: I don't think you could have a bad room or cottage, but if you're doing one of the 3 B&B...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank beachgirlRenoNV
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2007

Stayed in the La Vista Cottage which consists of one very small bedroom with a queen sized bed (with only about a foot of space on each side), living area with a nice woodburning fireplace( and 2 double futons), and a kitchen and dining area. The cottage has a good sized deck with 2 plastic chairs and table as well as a picnic table and a Weber BBQ. We found the cottage to be very cozy and romantic. The cottage is right on the Yuba river. It was clean and quiet. While the cottages have been renovated with new floors and appliances, they still have an overall appearance of being quite old. The bathroom was extremely small and there were some signs of wear and tear. Overall, a great stay. We will return again next May.

• Liked — Location alongside the river; woodburning fireplace
  • Disliked — Small bedroom; some maintenance issues
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank JIMCHI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downieville
Chalet View Lodge
#1 of 2 in Sierra City
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#4 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to Shangri-La Sierra? Share your experiences!