“Good, Budget Friendly Facility”
Review of Days Inn Downey

Days Inn Downey
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Downey
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Let me just preface this review by stating that I am VERY VERY picky when it comes to hotels. I very rarely can force myself to stay at places that are not 4-star and up.

However, on this trip to L.A., I had been staying at a 4-star location near LAX and, unexpectedly had to extend my stay. Since I was traveling on business but was not going to be reimbursed for this hotel stay, I had to think of my budget. This Days Inn was the ONLY place I could find that was within budget (less than 100 bucks per night) and seemed clean and modern.

So, this place has been newly renovated. The renovations are aesthetically nice. Everything looked modern and new.

PROS:

The location is GREAT, especially compared to the LAX location I was staying in the night before. Starbucks is walkable, the mall and many eateries are within walking distance. Many big box stores (Micheals, Ross etc) are a short drive down the road. Downey is convenient to several freeways including the 5, 105 and 605. There is a casino within 5 miles. I actually used to live in Downey about 9-10 years ago and its a great little city.

Parking and internet are free. This is HUGE in L.A. At the 4-star place in which I was previously staying, I had to fork over an extra 40 dollars PER NIGHT for parking and internet. So, I appreciated this.

There is a free continental breakfast.

The room was spacious and the design choices they made are nice.

The bed was comfy and large.

The room had DirectTV - love that!

CONS:

The ironing board (clearly not part of the reno) was FILTHY and disgusting. I would have just taken my clothes to the bed to iron them but the iron was ATTACHED to the ironing board to prevent theft. I did not want to put my clean clothes on that nasty thing!!

The towels, although clean, were ratty and some had holes in them. Also, maybe it was the detergent they use on the towels, but I felt like they were hard and had some sort of residue on them.

There was a giant gap under the door to the room and, not surprisingly, I was visited by several crawling and uninvited guests. After battling a giant spider and a cricket, I had to stuff a towel under the door my last night there. This was REALLY disappointing as I am a bug-a-phobe. I will say, though, that the gap under the door seemed to only be under the door of the room I was in - an easy fix for the motel, but it needs to be fixed!

The air conditioning (also not a part of the reno) was very loud. I couldn't run the air and watch the television at the same time without blasting the T.V. ( a pain to my neighbors I am sure).

The room really does not have enough lighting. But, to be fair, I find this to be a problem in most hotels.

Both Pro and Con:

The room came with a fridge and microwave. Nice. However, both were clearly very old and the fridge was not the quietest thing in the world.

Overall, I am glad I stayed at this Days Inn and I may try it again (but I would want a different room). I am still a 4-star and up kinda girl but, if I had to watch my budget, this is a very good option.

Oh, and if you are not nearly as picky as I am (i.e. you do not require 4-star+ accommodations normally) you will likely love this place. I am fully aware of how picky I am!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
DaysInnStonewood, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Downey, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear Bruingal79,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to complete this review! Also, thank you for your great comments regarding our newly remodeled accommodations and our property location!

I would also like to apologize for the problem you experienced with your room door. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I have sent you a direct message so we can get the proper information necessary to rectify the door situation.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. I hope to see you during your next visit!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Had the best beds every. Everything is new, the furniture, the beds, new carpets, plasma tv, directv, very clean and fancy. Rooms are spacious and have a small living room. My girls, ages 13 and 11, loved the room. The had enough space to run around and play. We walked to In and Out and Starbucks, their two favorite places. Continental breakfast was very good as well. Best value for my money. I loved this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
DaysInnStonewood, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Downey, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

I am so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our Days Inn Stonewood hotel! We strive to provide our guests with warm hospitality and added value and it's rewarding for our entire staff to hear that you experience this level of comfort and satisfaction. Your feedback is very important to us. We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Stonewood Days Inn. Our room was beautiful. The location was central to our needs. Very clean and quiet. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for visiting us again! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the newly remodeled rooms! Hopefully we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Rooms have been recently refurbished. good mattresses, flat panel TV, off-street parking, quiet and very clean. Convenient access to 605 Frwy (5 min) and 101/5 Frwy (10 min). Excellent self serve cafe/bakery (Porto's) close by. Breakfast provided limited value. I found the rooms dark during the day. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay! Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. I will review this survey with the appropriate department heads to address the room lighting as well as our complimentary continental breakfast.

However, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us in Downey! We hope to be of service to you in the future!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Everyone tries looking for places that offer the ammenites of a hotel, but at the same time are not willing to pay the price. I did not have to make that choice. The newly remodeled rooms were honestly better and more luxurious than many of the hotels I have stayed at, and at half the cost. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Location wise, you can't go wrong. There are quite a few restaurants within walking distance. I often come to Downey for business, and will definitely be staying at Days Inn Stonewoood again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

On behalf of all of the staff here at the Days Inn Stonewood, thank you so much for your kind words! It's our goal to provide our guests with added value and top-of-the-line comfort and we are so happy that you experienced that level of hospitality. I look forward to seeing you back again in the future!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had an amazing stay at the Stonewood Days Inn. Very clean, staff was extremely attentive and professional. Perfect location for dining and activities. Overall, it felt like a hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Riya S
DaysInnStonewood, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Downey, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us! It's great that you experienced our warm hospitality and that you took advantage of the nearby attractions, such as the adjacent Stonewood Mall. All of us here at the Days Inn Stonewood are ecstatic that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

It was like a hotel. Very comfortable and clean. Enjoyed a stay at this Days Inn! Best among the motels ever.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words! Indeed, we designed our renovated rooms to have an upscale, contemporary feel. I hope to see you again sometime soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Quality Inn Near Downey Studios
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Studio Inn And Suites
Best Western Norwalk Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce

Been to Days Inn Downey? Share your experiences!