Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Downey
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Pleasantly surprised. Long time Embassy Suites customer stayed here for 2 nights and were not disappointed.

Check in staff were prompt and very helpful, even providing extra tooth brushes that I forgot to pack.

Room was recently renovated, very clean and we had a quiet stay.

Breakfast was on par with Embassy Standards.

We are planning on using this property on our future stay's to SoCal.

• Stayed: June 2008

Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is not Embassy Suites finest but it is by far the best hotel in the area. The rooms are very spacious but beware that this is not a non-smoking hotel. The housekeeping staff was very friendly--the front desk staff service was very mixed. The restaurant was horrible--took 40 minutes to get served for lunch and the food was awful.

The hotel gets a lot of use for weddings, large family celebrations, and tour groups. The layout means that noise carries a lot.

The center part of the hotel is lovely and the breakfast and evening reception are on par with other Embassy Suites

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We checked in quickly (efficient front desk staff) but they sent us to a room, with the door propped open and outside windows open. Feeling that something was not quite right, we called from the room (didn't get unpacked) to let the front desk know that the room wasn't really "clean" and the door and windows were open.
The front desk told us to stay there so we unpacked since it was clean enough to stay in and closed the door and windows.
(Shame on them, our call should have raised a red flag.... even though the hotel rooms are in an open-atrium lobby, telling a guest just to go ahead and stay in an opened room is just unsafe).

Five minutes later, some one from housekeeping tells us that we can't stay in that room, they just cleaned the carpet.
So we checked into our second room.
After upacking for a second time, we found the room "ventilation fan" did not work.
Repacked and moved to our third room....

In our third room, everything worked!! Well, not really.
We found a sign next to the thermostat informing guests that while the ventilation fan is controlled in the room AND while guests can adjust cold/heat on the thermostat, the A/C and heating for guest rooms are actually controlled by central air.
I couldn't believe my eyes...central A/C and heating!?!
The room's thermostat had numbers and buttons and everything...it looked like it really worked....but alas, even though it was cold and raining outside, my room was hotter than the seventh level of hades and I couldn't do anything about it no matter how many buttons I pushed or how much I cried.

I called the front desk to see if anything could be done (like giving me control of the temperature in my room).
They sent me a floor fan......a freak'n floor fan.
So if you want to practice your Spanish, change rooms a lot and sweat in the room that they finally give you, this place is for you.
Really though, I would expect this kind of fiasco to happen in a crap motel. Not an Embassy Suites.....stay away!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TAAZZ
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Second hotel on our Bruce Springsteen tour of California and we were disappointed when compared to other Embassy Suite hotels we have stayed at.

The hotel seemed slightly shabby and seedy although the room accomodation itself lived up to typical Hilton group standards.

The breakfast room is too crowded for the number of guests and getting a table can be difficult. The breakfast itself differed according to the day of the week which was wierd. At the weekend the range seemed to be limited; come Monday there appeared to be a marked impovement.

First time I've been asked for ID whilst staying - however I guess, given the slightly run-down area that the hotel is situated in, that they need to take this precaution.

Overall, the stay was so so. As we were driving everywhere we felt fairly safe; had we had to walk in the area - we wouldn't of!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank springsteenisgod
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My company is located near this hotel. I stayed for almost two weeks. The staff and location was very nice. Yes, the room needs updating style wise; however it was kept very clean. This hotel looks similiar to the Embassy Suites in Anaheim off of the 57 freeway. Can't beat the free breakfast in the morning nor the evening cocktails. My job would never approve any beverage expense, therefore it was nice to unwind in the evening with a glass of wine. I will be back in a couple of months for work again and I will definitely chose this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Smithtrip
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I've stayed at this hotel several times for work.

Room: The room is a good size but decor, fixtures etc need some updates. The bathrooms were by no means anything special but didn't make me feel like I needed shower shoes or anything. Tub and shower area are VERY old.

Food: Complementary breakfast is excellent. Make your own omelet, along with pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs etc. Complementary happy hour is nice too. There are restaurants across the street and a Mimi's in the next parking lot if you need to leave. Never ate dinner at this place.

Service: Service was decent. Front desk was fine. I had to use my jr. high and high school Spanish to get extra towels but it did the trick. Internet cost $10 a day.

Overall this place isn't horrible and the area its in is nice. If they re-modeled the rooms this would be a really nice hotel. Would stay again for work (considering there isn't too much for a reasonable price that isn't a motel in the area) but I'd prefer to be right downtown or in Hollywood for a personal trip.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Sdht18
Reviewed September 8, 2007

The hotel is in an area where we felt uncomfortable and unsafe. As we drove into the parking lot to register there were several local young men just walking around between the cars. Looking out from our window during the night, we still saw teens/young men walking throughout the parking lot. They did not appear to be guests. The hotel interior is very dated. The staff members were friendly, but that did not make up for the lack of cleanliness in the hotel or room. Our room had a window with a very large crack in it. The two windows were dirty with greasy finger or forehead marks. The room was very dated and had an overall germy feeling. The only one good thing about the room was the comfortable bed and that is it...maybe we were just tired. Breakfast, which is included with your stay, was mediocre. Long line for cinnamon pancakes or cheese omelet.. While I waited behind a woman for cereal, she reached in and scooped out the cereal with her bare hand. I was sure the nearby employee saw it, but did nothing. We have stayed at other Embassy Suites and they were well maintained and pleasant. This location was a definite disappointment. We were happy to leave and actually left much earlier than had planned.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WstCoast03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Days Inn Downey
Studio Inn And Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
1 mi away
Quality Inn Near Downey Studios

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!