“Needs renovation badly”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Downey
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The older Embassy suites hotels can look very faded even if cared for well. This hotel was not cared for well. Strange furniture, grimy dirt-colored carpets, a shower that hadn't been scoured in years, hvac that turns off entirely if (in the hotel's view) the outside temp is between 55 and 70degF.: just a few of the problems. And that cooked breakfast? Only if you don't value your time, the line was never shorter than 15 people every time I checked. Even profit center items, such as vending machines, were out of order.

The only plus was front desk staff, which seemed to care when I had a request. But they didn't care to ask why I checked out after one night and moved somewhere else due to the accumulated grime throughout the room and the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
michelle-escobedo, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you Dick R for your recent review. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that the hotel was not as clean as our standards demand.

A clean room that has been prepared for our guests is basic for a good stay. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest and I want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! I truly hope these events will not deter you from choosing our location for future travels, as I hope for your reconsideration.

Warmest Regards,

Michelle Escobedo
Manager on Duty

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Business trip...9 people from different parts of US and Canada. Hotel was very accommodating! Breakfast in the Courtyard was amazing, so well organized! Rooms were very clean, only complaint was my room was missed once. The shuttle service they supposedly provide let us down every day and we had to scramble to arrange alternative transportation to our training facility so I would suggest outsourcing transport. That was the only major let down. Great ambience, friendly staff! Food in the restaurant was delicious! They have a happy hour but we never made it back in time... Definitely a nice hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A pretty good location for Downey, and the rooms are fine. Restaurant, bar and manager reception area all could use upgrading. Better food, drinks, and atmosphere would all be welcome. The manager reception serves really cheap swill for drinks, though the bar is OK. Food was acceptable, but very limited, and quite honestly not that appealing in general. There are a couple of restaurants in walking distance, but nothing to recommend highly.

Room Tip: Back side of the hotel is quieter.
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I spent one night in this hotel. I really don't like this open concept courtyard in the middle of the hotel becuse you can hear when somebody drops a fork five stories below.
But the most unusual thing was an HVAC; it turns ON automatically if the outside (not inside) temperature is above a certain value, and turns heating ON when the outside temperature is below a certain treshold. In between those values two extreme temperatures, nothing. They just don't trust guests to operate the AC.
If you are cold, they bring you a small electric heater. Very strange.

Room Tip: May I suggest another hotel?
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our party of 7, including children and grandchildren, were treated like family. The staff was warm, friendly, and courteous. The rooms were spotless, and the breakfast and evening reception tasty and plentiful. The indoor pool was a plus for the kids and the gym had the latest equipment. Wherever we turned, we were greeted with a smile, the front desk even checked us in for our return flight and printed our boarding passes. Without question we would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sidney B
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Standard hotel. The lobby entrance common areas are a bit dated and over decorated. First 4 nights I was in a room on the 6th floor that smelled musty and I could hear the trains around midnight and early morning. My last night I was in a corner room that was smaller but felt cleaner and like there was more circulating air. Had all 5 nights been in this room I would have left with an overall better impression.

The included breakfast is full of options - yogurt/fruit, oatmeal, cereal and egg/cooked breakfast bar, make your own waffles. So lots of options though not entirely healthy -- eggs fried in some kind of spray...

The gym has 2 treadmills and one bicycle with a separate weights area. Was nearly empty when I went. Bummer it is on a smoking floor. First time I went I had to wade through smoke to get to the gym. Another time I went the smoke was less prominent.

It's a fine standard option if you find yourself in Downey.

Room Tip: 8th floor room in the back was better than 6th floor room at front of building
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was new to Embassy Suites. A business associate chose the hotel and I went along. The interior of the hotel was quite large, open, and nice. There were waterfall and a large koi pond. There was also a delightful restaurant that we had dinner in, and breakfast was made to order.

However, I wasn't quite as impressed with the room itself. It wasn't bad by any means. It was adequate. The room was indeed a suite with a separate living room and a private bedroom. It just didn't have an overall comfortable feel to me. It felt very sterile. I would stay here again if asked to, but I wouldn't go out of my way to here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Days Inn Downey
Days Inn Downey
#2 of 8 in Downey
Studio Inn And Suites
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Quality Inn Near Downey Studios
Embassy Suites by Hilton Brea - North Orange County

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!