“OK if you need a cheap family spot”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Downey
San Ramon, California, United States
“OK if you need a cheap family spot”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

As long as your child or children are 12 or under the room will work. Otherwise the couch bed is so uncomfortable if is painful for anyone over 12. The master bed is also very soft and leaves your achy all over. The hot food at breakfast is very good but the fruit and bake goods are very sub par and disappointing. The manager's evening reception is a nice offer.

Beware depending where your room is located you are likely to have dirty dishes (and not your dishes) by your room for over 24 hours or longer if you don't complain.

Bottom line if you are looking to save money and need a spot with kids this is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
michelle-escobedo, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello Mr. Roy,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure there are no dirty dishes left in any rooms. Your feedback regarding the comfort of both our sleeper couches and beds will be taken into consideration as we improve these areas. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Please feel free to email me directly at Michelle.Escobedo@Hilton.com should you like to discuss this matter further. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

With Kind Regards,

Michelle Escobedo
Manager On Duty
Embassy Suites - Downey
Phone: 562.861.1900

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chino, California
Reviewed November 19, 2012

It was a very long business trip to LA so I had to spend the entire month in this hotel. Thanks to the staff and to the spacious room, I didn't have any discomfort at all coming back after the long working hours. Breakfasts were excellent. Firestone Grill restaurant is very average. Bad things - location (you can't say that you were in LA all this time), slow internet, noisy weddings on the weekends. But I will be staying there again with pleasure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The outside appearance was a pleasant surprise: “ Neo-Spanish-colonial” I think it is called. Also, lots of dark wood paneling inside. A nice atrium with plants and a small waterfall. The bar in the corner was rather inviting and, fortunately, the ever-present bigscreen tuned to sports was at a low volume.
Spacious rooms, as is normally the case with Embassy Suites, and fantastic beds. Room size seems to differ a bit due to the specific design of the building and also, different rooms have different size balconies you can actually access (mine was small, unfortunately, but facing south so I could catch some late fall sun). The bath room was fairly small, though. The hotel, and especially the rooms, need a facelift, though. My room had somewhat of a stale smell, evidently coming from old carpet. Apparently, they are already working on that: there was a note in my room mentioning some painting was going on in the atrium (but the only thing I noticed were some “wet paint” signs, so they must have been careful not to bother the guests).
Internet (free to Gold and Diamond members) was very slow, barely reaching 0.5 Mbps even with my power antenna. Interesting to note was the slow pace during the evening manager’s reception. Obviously, a high turn-over of free drinks would be a “pro” for guests and a “con” for the hotel, so I could imagine staff to be instructed not to rush it. Still, even the guests took forever to decide on cocktails, with lines of well over 10 people waiting for a drink as a result. Contrary to the sound level in the bar the bigscreens at the manager’s reception were shouting sports at an annoying level.
Breakfast choices were rather limited but, hey, it’s complimentary and they make a nice spicy salsa to put on your hashbrowns.
I dined at the restaurant twice and that was average although my medium-rare steak was somewhat overcooked. Choice was limited (mostly burgers and the obvious steak, chicken and fish with a few pasta dishes), but wine prices were reasonable. If you like authentic Chinese food, go to restaurant Peking just around the corner: great quality at a bargain price! (no fine dining, though!). Other than that, only a few fastfood-type eateries in the vicinity.
Staff was very friendly and quick to fulfill any needs: they quickly fixed an error on the alarm clock; one day housekeeping forgot about my room (nothing had been cleaned when I returned that evening) but they immediately sent someone up. Also, the lock on my door was not functioning properly and within minutes after my mentioning this a repair man came fixing it. Still, even though it is great to immediately fix those small inconveniences, they should actually not have to occur.
All in all I consider this ES above average but not a full four star.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
mesa, az
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I checked in for a 6 night stay and at first I wasn't very happy with the room. It is definitely dated and the furniture is a little worn on the edges, but it is clean. The room rate was kind of high for this area so I was expecting something nicer.
The weird thing is the there is so much living space, a huge front room with a couch and table and TV and wet bar, then you go back to the bedroom which has a couple of beds, dresser, desk and chair and an armoire closet thing. The bathroom is tiny!! And I am a small person.
The shower is good, nice thick towels.
There is free breakfast made to order on the first floor every morning. I just had some toast and tea, but you can get omelets, pancakes, bacon, other meats. You have to show your room key to be served, fair enough. There is also a "managers reception" with free drinks at night, I think from like 5:30-7:30 PM, complete with snacks like bar mix and chips and salsa. So, they definitely feed you a lot for free. I guess that is why the price was higher, but since I barely ate at the hotel, it didn't help me out.
I didn't use the pool or gym so can't comment..
There are several restaurants within walking distance and a Mimi's cafe right in the same parking lot. And there is a restaurant in the hotel itself but I didn't go there.
The whole inside of this huge building is like an atrium with a sky light ceiling and a little river type thing with live turtles hanging around inside, so it feels really cavernous and huge inside. When I arrived there was a cold snap in Downey and it was really chilly inside the building as well and it took me a while to warm up.
The wifi is not free unless you are a hilton honors gold or higher level. I got the free wifi but my brand new ipad was unable to keep a signal in my room, so that was really frustrating. Maybe because I was on a high floor and towards the back of the building? Or maybe it is a Mac thing, not sure, I finally ended up tethering it to my Iphone for some internet work. I think the wifi is free in the lobby, but it was cold and I wouldn't want to spend my time out there on the web if I didn't have to.
The elevators have glass backs to them so you can look out as you go up and down the inside of the building. I was on a high floor and had to wait quite a while sometimes for the elevator to finally arrive, so plan ahead if you have to get out of there in a hurry for work or something.
Overall, the place is growing on me, the comfortable beds outweigh the dated interior and everyone of the staff had been very pleasant to interact with.

Room Tip: the high floor has a nice view, but the elevator can be slow to come up there. maybe inquire if the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mount Gambier, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Friendly staff, great food, great bar and great atmosphere. A lovely Embassy Suite hotel with a Spanish missionary look. Incredible central atrium and huge Koi fish! Rooms are large, beds are Very comfortable. The bathroom is on the smaller side, but spotless and functional. Be aware though that movies are charged at 14.99, watch the screen carefully! Other than though, we had a great time and again didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Great beds, eat at the hotel restaurant , great value
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Large rooms, and the free drinks at happy hour and breakfast provided add to the value but other hotels in the same area charge 60 - 80 dollars less per night! A bit hard to justify the cost, particularly when the hotel is under maintenance and has a huge pulley and tarps all over the atrium!

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of the best hotels ever, free drinks Free Breakfst and very clean rooms, free parking.. i will 100 % recommend this hotel.

My kids where very happy and we are planning one more trip, that is how great it was..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Days Inn Downey
Days Inn Downey
#3 of 8 in Downey
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce
Studio Inn And Suites
Best Western Norwalk Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!