“Very Nice Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Downey
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Downey in July 2011 while I was traveling for business. The rooms were very spacious, updated and clean. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The manager's reception is a nice perk - free snacks and booze, and the complimentary breakfast buffet was good as well - pancakes, potatoes, fruit, etc. I ordered room service, and it came right away. The restaraunt immediately next door (I think it was called Mimi's) was quite good as well and very convenient. I will definitely stay here when in this area again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MabelK

Reviewed July 20, 2011

An old but remodeled hotel near Downtown LA. Staff is very helpful, rooms are good for the price. Managers reception is well attended by all, but dont expect an upscale crowd. Everything you need is within walking distance but nobody in SoCal walks anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Looks better from outside.
The rooms are renovated, anything aged seems to be quite old. The bar and restaurants closes at 10 pm and there is nothing around which would be ok for avoid dinner after a long trip to LA. The waitress in the restaurant recommended us the Denny's on the other side of the street. They are doing good omelets at breakfast, that may be all I can remind of this stay

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Mikkelmann
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed six days at this hotel. We wanted to go to Universal Studios and visit relatives in Anaheim and this hotel was half way distance to both. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and always had a smile on their faces. The room was very clean and comfortable and I saw the maid service taking apart the sofa and cleaning it along with vacuuming the rugs. Alot of hotels do not do that. I noticed in our room, we did not have an alarm clock, so I called the front office and within 10 minutes, a nice gentleman came up to deliver one. The price of our room included a full breakfast every day which was good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank djskip
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I had horrible experience at Embassy Suites at Downey. I booked hotel or four days but in reality I just stayed one day and checked out early and lost my money for remaining three days.

The reason I checked out was because my room was nasty. Bathrooms were dirty; there were hairs in my bathroom. The bath towels were foul and smelling bad. The air condition was not working in my room. I called front desk and complain about it. The person at front desk told me that technician would be at my room in few minutes. Half hour passed by and whole night went away but nobody came in my room to fix air condition. I request king size bed and they gave me two queen size beds. Next day in morning I checked out from hotel and manager on duty told me that he can only work out refund me one day money for inconvenience and if I check out I would be loosing my money for rest of three days. I booked Embassy Suites at Downey hoping that it is Hilton property and would have good experience at hotel but on the contrary Embassy suites spoiled my vacation.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sam8470
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I had stayed in an embassy sweet in the late 90's and had a very nice experience. on this trip, the luxury i had expected just wasent there. the room was about the same quality as a days inn. the in room coffee maker was so old, I was afraid to use it. the complimentary happy hour was very disapointing. The alcohols used were the cheapest of the cheap. The comp breakfast, although cooked fresh, was very bland.and, the internet was an extra cost. at these prices it should have been comped as well. I have another business trip in the same location next week, I will be staying at the days inn instead of the embassy.

Room Tip: dont expect too much at this one.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Let's start with the good things... the staff was nice, the area's pretty quiet and the suite was a nice size. I stay in at least a dozen Hilton group hotels a year but I'd never stayed at an Embassy Suites so maybe I had the wrong idea going in. I expected a business hotel like I'm used to but instead I found myself sharing the halls with children and loud leisure travellers. I don't think there is an executive floor at this hotel, but I really wish there was. The suite was poorly arranged, the sitting room was nice (the suite has 2 flat-screen TVs), but the bed isn't as good as the ones in Garden Inns.

The thing I really didn't like about this hotel was the atrium area. I thought the plants were fine, but the fish ponds and overall decor was pretty offensive to me. Originality is good, but it was hard for me to take this hotel seriously. The entire atmosphere felt very motel-ish. I liked the option of self-serve or laundry pickup service but the laundry room was only accessible by walking outside first. I understand that people need to smoke while waiting for their laundry, but couldn't the laundry room just have a smoking balcony or something? Come breakfast time though, the cooked-to-order omelette was good and made up for a lot of the hotel's shortcomings.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank PersonalEnsign
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Days Inn Downey
Studio Inn And Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
2 mi away
Best Western Norwalk Inn

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!