“Very Disapointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Downey
Thousand Oaks, California
“Very Disapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

I had stayed in an embassy sweet in the late 90's and had a very nice experience. on this trip, the luxury i had expected just wasent there. the room was about the same quality as a days inn. the in room coffee maker was so old, I was afraid to use it. the complimentary happy hour was very disapointing. The alcohols used were the cheapest of the cheap. The comp breakfast, although cooked fresh, was very bland.and, the internet was an extra cost. at these prices it should have been comped as well. I have another business trip in the same location next week, I will be staying at the days inn instead of the embassy.

Room Tip: dont expect too much at this one.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

Let's start with the good things... the staff was nice, the area's pretty quiet and the suite was a nice size. I stay in at least a dozen Hilton group hotels a year but I'd never stayed at an Embassy Suites so maybe I had the wrong idea going in. I expected a business hotel like I'm used to but instead I found myself sharing the halls with children and loud leisure travellers. I don't think there is an executive floor at this hotel, but I really wish there was. The suite was poorly arranged, the sitting room was nice (the suite has 2 flat-screen TVs), but the bed isn't as good as the ones in Garden Inns.

The thing I really didn't like about this hotel was the atrium area. I thought the plants were fine, but the fish ponds and overall decor was pretty offensive to me. Originality is good, but it was hard for me to take this hotel seriously. The entire atmosphere felt very motel-ish. I liked the option of self-serve or laundry pickup service but the laundry room was only accessible by walking outside first. I understand that people need to smoke while waiting for their laundry, but couldn't the laundry room just have a smoking balcony or something? Come breakfast time though, the cooked-to-order omelette was good and made up for a lot of the hotel's shortcomings.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PersonalEnsign
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

The kids LOVED the place. I loved the layout of the room, lots of space, excellent internet connection. Walking distance are other places to hang out and across is Denny's and Mimi's, both offering great customer services. The entire place is surrounded by places to eat and hang out. Walking distance from library (kids).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NicsInNY
alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

What a pleasant surprise. I booked online to be close to my customer. In California, traffic problems can ruin your day. This hotel is gorgeous!. The outside is very welcoming to say the least, and then you walk into the beautiful lobby. The rooms all face inward to a lush atrium with a flowing stream of fish and turtles! Greenery and flowers as well. The full breakfast each morning is an added bonus. Add a staff of happy and so friendly employees, and you have a vacation hideaway mixed with your work. This place is indeed a pleasure. The surrounding area is easy to get about in and the people are great. Mix business with pleasure on this one.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

The lobby and pool were just beautiful. The Breakfast Staff (Gustavo) and Hostess (Mary) was great. She asked if we needed anything during our stay and if we were familiar with the breakfast. We had not stayed here before, so she explained everything and made us feel welcome. She even made us aware of events in town and the Brunch on Sunday at the Firestone Restaurant if we wanted to sleep in that day. Our room was lovely and we like the idea of a living room. View from room was very nice. Clean and updated. Freeway close between our events in Los Angeles and Orange County. we will be back here from now on....

Room Tip: We asked for north facing room with balconey
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Abingdon, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

I stayed here for three nights while attending a company meeting. My 8th floor room with balcony was comfortable and clean. My Diamond-level items were in my suite upon arrival. The staff was pleasant throughout my stay. Embassy Suites complimentary breakfast was very well prepared and efficient. There are a variety of dining options as well as shopping in the vicinity. The Firestone Restaurant located on site was nice as well, with good food and an attentive staff. The hotel is well-maintained and the lobby atrium with Koi pond is very nice. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ladyinmaryland
Temple Hills, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

I loved this hotel. The lobby is beautiful. They had parrots, a koi pond and waterfall. The pool was nice and clean and the breakfast area was farely large. Breakfast was great; a lot of variety. It was a full FREE breakfast everyday. They also offer drinks in the evening, (a good perk, if you drink - I don't). The room was great, it was a suite so it had a pull-out sofa. I stayed with my teenage daughter in one room while my son and brother stayed next door. We are planning to return again this summer. Great value for the money and conveinent to eating establishments, shopping and about a 20 minute drive to downtown LA,

Room Tip: Stock the fridge to save
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Days Inn Downey
Anaheim Marriott
Anaheim Marriott
#26 of 118 in Anaheim
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,888 reviews

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!