“The Miracle Springs Resort excels on numerous levels”

Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Reviewer: Patty, Member, International Food Wine and Travel Writers Association

I loved the newly redecorated and remodeled look of the hotel and the guest rooms. The lobby was very inviting with the addition of the L’Occitane boutique. They have a nice assortment of spa services; I had a “combination massage.” The staff was very thoughtful and professional and immediately put me at ease.

I had a very nice room with a double bed which was spacious, clean and neat. I was very pleased that they have complimentary WiFi with a strong and reliable signal throughout the hotel. I was able to check my email and look up directions and more online. They also have a computer kiosk in the lobby where guests, without their computers, can get online if they need to.

I had a situation during my stay where I needed to print out some documents right away. Their IT person, George, went out of his way to help me. I was very impressed how he, and all the staff at the Miracle Springs Resort, goes the extra mile to help guests. He even offered to print my documents double sided. He saved me, and I really appreciate that type of customer service.

Miracle Springs Resort Executive Chef, Nigel Gainor, who has an impressive culinary pedigree, and his amazing staff worked hard to create the most eye pleasing and delicious meals. We were very impressed with his creations. He even came out to speak with us and to make sure we were happy with our meals.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the incredible spring waters from the two aquifers beneath Desert Hot Springs. The ice cold spring water is pure, delicious and odor free and has actually won international awards for best drinking water. The hot mineral water has healing properties yet is odorless, soothing and satisfying.

Considering the beautiful surroundings and the amenities, the Miracle Springs Resort costs a fraction of what some of the snootier resorts in the region charge.

I would definitely recommend the Miracle Springs Resort and Spa and look forward to returning again soon. It is an outstanding resort; owners Mike and Lynn Bickford have done a fantastic job all around. I would also like to compliment Special Events Manager, Dr. Stuart and Barbara Malkin. It was lovely meeting them as well. They are the epitome of customer service.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank pattysein
Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed December 29, 2007

We come to this hotel every year for the main attraction; The Wonderful Hot Springs! This is the only place that has mineral springs that are nice and HOT, unlike others that are lukewarm. It is very therapeutic and calms any aches or pains one may have. On the down-side, maybe a little TOO much chlorine in the tubs,and it is true, the city is full of transients and drug addicts, that congregate on the corner near the hotel. We pack very light for this reason, example, don't bring your diamond jewelry. Also, we had a little mix up last year regarding my email special, the desk clerk did not want to honor the coupon, but after MUCH haggling and eventually speaking with someone who knew what they were doing, our special was finally honored. Also, I recommend eating here( or packing a "picnic") rather looking for anywhere in town, there is absolutely NOTHING in town except a Weinersnitzel about 4 miles away. But, all in all, I enjoy it here very much and plan on returning in the next few weeks!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2007

After I received my credit card statement I found out that Miracle Springs Spa charged me $75.00 for smoking in their room. My wife and I are in our early 50's and have never smoked in our lives. I have stayed at a lot of Hotels and Resorts and have never had any thing like this happen before. The best way to prevent this from happening to you is to avoid Miracle Springs Resort & Spa in Desert Hot Springs.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Yucaipa13
DevelopmentDirector, Director of Development at Miracle Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2007

Thanks to our Guest for advising us of their faulty credit card charge for smoking in our non smoking environment. We try hard to honor the requests from virtually all of our Guests to do what we can to eliminate smoking from our property. One of those things is to monitor rooms for evidence of smoking and, in this case, that evidence apparently applied to a prior Guest, not the one that we inadvertently charged. Of course we are reversing the charge. We are a three diamond property and our staff is trained weekly to create four diamond service... so we are particularly sensitive to any dissatisfaction and we apologize to this Guest for the inconvenience of our error. We completed this year a million dollar remodel of our rooms, meeting or exceeding Guest expectations. Make mistakes? Of course we do.. but we do try hard to fix them immediately to assure that every Guest knows that we do more than expected, never less!

Reviewed November 8, 2007

My five year old and three friends stayed 4 nights at Miracle Hot Springs and loved it. The pools were gorgeous, the suite was clean and had everything we needed, and the price was just right. We weren't looking for excitement - just a quiet place to hang out and pamper ourselves. We all loved our spa treatment and the on-site resaurant was good and very reasonabe, but not gourmet. Dessert Hot Springs may be a little run down, but if you're looking for restaurants, shopping, etc., Palm Springs is only a short drive away - as is great hiking at Indian Canyon and Joshua Tree. The hotel staff could use a bit of customer service training, especially with regard to working with the spa staff, but overall, this was not enough to keep us away. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I have to give this place a 2 for the nicely kept grounds, and the newly decorated suite, but thats where my praises stop.

We stayed here for 8 nights in october, we had a very bad experience, we had a poolside room so we could relax in the hot tubs not being far away from our room on our 3rd night we were out in the hot tubs only yards from our room, and someone had broken into our room, took our car keys which were in a special hiding place and stole our hired car from the hotel car park, they also took my husbands trousers with some cash in the pocket and his t shirt, we allerted security, they are not much use as they are elderly gentlemen that could not run very fast, the police came but it seems to be a normal occurance for them as it is such a rough area, this happened on oct 11th at around 8.30pm we had another 5 nights to stay at the hotel we wanted to leave then but we had already pre paid with expedia so we sat tight and stayed but it ruined our stay there.
The staff are all rude and not a bit helpful (with the exception of stanley who was on duty that night he was most helpful) we had to get a taxi the next morning to palm springs airport to sort out about the car and getting a replacement we had to pay out to hire another car $650 which we are still trying to claim back.
All we got from the hotel was a free meal which did not even cover the cost of a taxi.
We think that it was an inside job the maid must have tipped somebody off, as to where our car keys were kept as they were in and out of the room in a flash it was all on the hotels cctv camera.
I suppose we were lucky that they did'nt get away with any valuables as they were all locked away.
I am writing this review to warn others to stay away from this hotel as it is situated in a very rough area, and most of the staff are on rehab we learnt after.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Sylvia S
DevelopmentDirector, Director of Development at Miracle Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2007

We are deeply sorry and surprised to receive this harsh review by this lovely couple from the UK. As they noted, we have fully renovated and remodeled every room in the hotel, and our pool and spa services are world class. The truth is, this couple had an unfortunate experience that could have happened anywhere. They apparently left their poolside patio door open and unattended, permitting a thief to enter their room, grab items either in plain view or superficially hidden, and run out through the hallway door to the parking lot where he drove off with their rental car. Video surveillance confirmed that whoever perpetrated this crime was on our property for no more than a few minutes. Our guest's notion that this was an “inside job” or a normal occurrence is utterly and completely false. We did everything we could to assist our guests in this unfortunate situation, including complimentary rooms and meals. They were obviously upset by the situation, but they seemed satisfied with our response at the time and continued to stay with us in the same room for an additional five nights. The truth is they were upset at the poor treatment they received from their rental car company. We certainly understand their frustration, but believe it should be directed where it belongs -- to their rental car company -- and not us.

Reviewed October 22, 2007

Stayed here for one night as part a road trip in September 2007. The area didn't look very promising as it is an odd mix of budget Hotels and low rise housing but appearances can be deceptive. Once in the Hotel the place has quite a good look. The room we had was clean and well presented and the Hotel building were in good shape. The real bonus are the 7 Mineral Pools. The pool settings are well above what we expected with nice landscaping and gardens all in first class order. We spent ages soaking in the Hot Spas under Brilliant blue skies. An added plus is that the pools are open 24hours so we repeated our soaking under the stars! The Buildings Manager and the Restaurant Buyer are British (although the hotel is US owned) and they are really nice people. The Hotel Restaurant offered good food at a good price and we would have loved a longer stay so we could have used the Spa facilities. My wife loved the place and we would definitely use it again. Just don't be put off by the neighborhood.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cliverea
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I most highly recommend Miracle Springs Hotel and Spa if you're looking for a great Hot Springs and Pool experience. While it is true, as one other reviewers wrote, that Miracle Springs is in a "rundown part of town", I suppose that this phrase could be used to describe Desert Hot Springs in general. Miracle Springs, however, is a true oasis. Great, friendly staff! Rooms are immaculate! Fantastic pool & spa facilities. Enjoyed a fantastic breakfast in the morning! Overall, just a great place to retreat & relax!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple