“An Oasis in the Desert”

El Morocco Inn & Day Spa
Santa Rosa
“An Oasis in the Desert”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This is definitely an Oasis for the weary soul. How does one describe Nirvana. The website shows the special nature of the décor and ambiance, but what it cannot show is the warmth, care and attention of the innkeepers and the extraordinary lengths they go to making their guests feel special and part of an honored family. We laughed, drank those incredible moroccotinis, and ate a lavish breakfast each morning. During the day we feasted on dates, figs, fresh fruit, snacks, watched Casablanca and generally lazed around. We never got to our list of 101 things to do while you are in the Palm Springs area. By the end of our stay we could scarcely leave. We felt like we had visited old and dear friends. I came home dreaming of those nights with soft lights, dozens of candles, the pool, the fire pit, the palms stirring in the gentle breeze, the huge spa soaking away the body's tensions and the draperies gracefully billowing. We definitely shall visit them again very soon. Steven & Ananda-Devi

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Fragrence in the room.
1 Thank Shanti108

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
New York
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Like an intoxicating love affair in a foreign land I cannot forget you. Your warmth, your humble welcome to a place that warrants only wonder, the humor and mischievous glimmer behind your perfect countenance, bewitched my sardonic nature. Wind whipped and challenged by the elements only tranquility graced my entry to your sanctuary. It has taken me too long to tell you how I feel but know I have never forgotten your gentle exotic embrace. I long for you El Morocco Inn and Spa!

Cheesy love poems aside…my husband and I were at El Morocco Inn and Spa in October 2007 a week before my best girlfriend's wedding and during the terrible wind storms and fires that overtook parts of Southern CA. I cannot tell you what a pleasure it was to just hang out in the tranquil spaces created by these wonderful gentlemen. Their natural attention to detail is incredible without ever bordering on excess. So, peaceful and lively at the same time!

"Hmm maybe I will sit on that luxurious couch in the sun, or duck into the shade for a bit and sip mint water." "Perhaps a soak or a swim? Massage? No problem!"

What I found myself doing half the time was seeking out our hosts and engaging in lively and soothing conversation. I am sure, had I wanted to just be silent and relax in seclusion these lovely people would have made sure that was the case, but I was just too intrigued. I wanted to move in, be best friends and never leave! Every day I woke up and felt like I was living in a dream. I felt so pampered in a very intimate selfless way. Not spoiled, just so taken care of and welcome.

I feel guilty for not writing this sooner, but it will be posted now for a reason and someone will see this and know that this is their destination! Keep in mind that it is a quirky town with a cast of characters I am not unfamiliar with being from CA and living in NY, and though some may find it slightly bizarre, I never felt threatened.

El Morocco Inn and Spa is a destination in itself and if I may relate a story here, I hope it gives an inkling as to how special a place it is! My husband and I were in Paris and London for the last couple of weeks and there were parties and glamorous people and my husband was doing his art and I was being the Gal Friday and having all sorts of fabulous adventures! It was really non-stop and the most fun I have had while in Europe of the 4 times I have been there. One night towards the end of our trip, but with at least a few more nights away from home I had a dream. I dreamt we had just a few more days and we should do something special, just for ourselves and leave the craziness behind! What did we do? We rented a convertible and drove through the dessert to El Morocco Inn and Spa!!! I was so happy with our decision and couldn't wait to arrive and see our pals and languish poolside with a book! It is funny to wake up in London while everything is going swimmingly and wish your dreams of arriving at a renovated desert hot spring hotel had come true! That you were not actually in glamorous London en route from Paris, but at an intimate little spot where some very nice people have done a very nice job of making simple dreams come true.

All My Love,
Heather Joy White & Nelson Loskamp

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank kitchenwitchiest
San Diego
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Tried this place out one weekend with my boyfriend. It's not in the best neighborhood but, once you get inside, you feel like your'e in Morocco. This is such a sweet, romantic get away. The owners were very nice. They do a great job to make your stay one to remember. Try this place out, you will love it!

• Liked — The romantic feeling of being in Morocco.
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank falconscrest
arizona
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at here this last weekend (5/16-5/18). After driving in from the Phoenix area and playing 18 holes of golf in 100+ degree heat on Friday afternoon we were more than glad to get to the inn and after a shower, fall into bed, a round one at that!

Upon arriving, we were met by Steve, one of the owners, who gave us a tour of the facility and had a "Moroccotini" waiting for us. We didn't partake in the alcoholic beverages however, the "Humphrey Bogart" (mint tea and lemonade) was deliciously refreshing.

We chose the Sultan's Suite which had a very comfortable round bed, a large bathroom, and living room. My husband and I are very light sleepers and we were amazed at how quiet the rooms are. We didn't hear our neighbors T.V. nor did we hear toilets flushing or water running like you do at name brand hotels. A negative comment about the room is that the wall air conditioner is noisey.

We were a little concerned that the pool and spa are opened all night. We were braced for 2 sleepless nights because of the potential noise around the pool however, to our delight, the guests that stayed at the inn during the time we were there were very considerate of others. My comment to those guests would be Thank You!

The continental breakfast was perfect. Juice, French-pressed coffee, pasteries, bagels, yogurt, cereal was available from 8:30 to 10:30 in the courtyard around the pool. The setting was relaxing and made for a wonderful way to start your day.

Other reviewers wrote about how pampered and spoiled the guests are. The reviews are true; Steve, John, and Bruce cannot do enough for their guests. You've heard the saying: "arrive a stranger, leave a friend"; that statement is so true of these innkeepers.

In order to maintain the adult atmosphere of this inn and ensure the comfort of their guests, the innkeepers live on property.

This inn is located in a residential neighborhood about 5 miles north of I-10 and off the main street of town. The inn itself is a secured building however, parking is on the street and we were advised to bring everything in from the car, especially our golf clubs. The area is being revitalized, albeit slowly.

To John, Steve, and Bruce - thank you so much for everything! Continued success with the operation of your inn.

• Liked — The innkeepers, the innkeepers living on the property, the attention the innkeepers give to their guests, clean rooms, quiet, adult atmosphere
  • Disliked — The whole of what we saw of Desert Hot Springs is in need of major renovation
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a three-night stay at the El Morocco Inn. We had decided to give it a try after seeing it listed on Conde Nast online and after reading all the great reviews on tripadvisor.com. I'm happy to say that the reviews were entirely accurate. This place is great. First, and foremost, the service was excellent. Bruce, John, Steve, and Nicoleta were the best possible hosts, genuinely nice people who wanted us to be happy. I really can't compliment them enough. Second, the Moroccan theme, inside the rooms and outside in the open lounge and courtyard, was very cool. Third, the water in their two pools was like none that I had ever felt before. I usually don't swim much at hotels, but I spent a lot of time in their pools. The only downside was the rest of Desert Hot Springs, which is run down and without much charm. The restaurants we tried in this small town, even the ones recommended by the Inn's staff, were, in our opinion, mediocre at best. However, we didn't want to spend time anywhere else anyway.

This isn't a big, fancy resort, most of which I also like just fine. The El Morocco is a small, intimate place with personal, attentive, yet unobtrusive service, a place where they don't charge you something for everything you do and use (movies, snacks, drinks at happy hour, continental breakfast, etc. were all free). We will definitely return.

• Liked — The service, the water, and the moroccan atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
Torrance
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Love at first sight.

Both myself and my wife were thrilled the moment we entered this hide-away. Sensuous smells of exotic spices greeted us, peacock feathers and veiled entry ways teased our eyes and the attentive care of our gracious hosts calmed our city nerves. Within hours of arriving we were already planning our next stay.

For you guys out there...SURPRISE YOUR LADY...make the reservation and tell your gal you are whisking her away but don't tell her where. I promise that if you surprise her with this place you will earn points for years to come. This is a sure fire, impress your gal, and never have to apologize for anything kind of place that she will love. It is geared to the romantic side and caters to the things our gals dream about. You will be her hero and lover for bringing her to this oasis.

Stayed April 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed April 4, 2008

From the moment Nicoleta opened the door to the moment Steve hugged us goodbye at our car, we felt as if we were in paradise. We had a thorough tour before we even grabbed our bags. We weren't bombarded with questions about who we were and where we had come from. We felt as if the entire experience was created just for us--right down to the cookies available 24 hours! We enjoyed our stay during the week (Sunday-Wednesday) so the inn was not full--therefore, we were able to spend time with 3-4 other couples, but had plenty of privacy to read for hours on the poolside covered couches! We looked forward to happy hour and Morocco-tinis each night as Nicoleta, Steve, and Bruce told us stories of how the inn came to be and we chatted with other guests. A pleasant surprise was that we were able to order lunch each day for reasonable prices straight from the inn. Who wouldn't want a poolside salad or burger after the fabulous breakfast spread? Dinner in town was fun--Desert Hot Springs isn't a thriving metropolis but the food was tasty, fresh, and the people were friendly. Did I mention the bed chambers? It was honestly a struggle each day to decide whether or not to stay in bed and enjoy the fabulous room or to get out and partake in a tasty, fresh breakfast!!! Would we go back? Tomorrow.

• Liked — We felt like we were at home.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desert Hot Springs
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#9 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Andreas Hotel & Spa
Andreas Hotel & Spa
#9 of 73 in Palm Springs

Been to El Morocco Inn & Day Spa? Share your experiences!