“Moroccan Magic!!!”

El Morocco Inn & Day Spa
Temecula
“Moroccan Magic!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

El Morocco is true magic! I can't remember a time when my husband and I have completely vegged while away from home. And that is what we did at the El Morocco. We truly felt like we were in a desert oasis compound, completely removed from the world.

LOCATION: Yes, your GPS is correct, keep driving! El Morocco is located several miles "out there", and truthfully, in what appears, not the greatest of neighborhoods. But once you arrive at the El Morocco...ahhh heaven. (My husband was a complete Doubting Thomas on the way there, but quickly converted once we arrived and he has become a walking advertisement for the El Morocco - you will hear similar stories during your stay here)

ROOMS: We stayed in Room 203, Sultans Playpen. As all of the other reviews mention, this room is not overly large, but so comfy, and it has everything you need to relax and enjoy. You enter into a small living area, with couch, small bistro table, mini bar (with microwave and refrigerator) and tv. Bathroom has sink, toilet and shower stall. The bedroom is exactly that...a bed in a room....did I mention a round bed encased in sheers and beads? And a comfy bed at that! Honestly what more do you need? My husband and I looked into the other rooms when possible and spoke with other guests about their rooms. Frankly, I don't think there is a bad one. Each offers something unique. Room 203 is upstairs so I felt it offered a little more seclusion from the pool area. Our room had a bistro table and chairs inside as well as chairs and a table right outside our room.

POOL Ah!!! Even in 115 degree weather, the pool was refreshing...and believe me, we spent a great deal there. Best time to swim...MIDNIGHT. So completely awesome. Flower petals in the pool from a neighboring bush, piped in morning mediation music and then what I assume is Moroccan music for later in the day...you are completely surrounded in an exotic feel of comfort and relaxation.

HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH FOR PARENTS: We have three children, and we deeply love them however we truly enjoyed ourselves without them! I've never realized how much noise a child, toddler or teenager, can create around a pool. Hushed voices and floating music is all that you will hear at this pool

HAPPY HOUR. Unwind after unwinding all day. We sipped moroccintis with other guests while discussing our day's activities and dinner plans. The morccinitis are true ecstasy.

BREAKFAST AND SNACKS - It was like the food magically appeared. Their idea of "continental breakfast" is true tummy contentment. Bagels with cream cheese, tomato, onion and avocado - so yummy. Yogurt with granola, fruit and hard boiled eggs, and best of all French-pressed coffee!!!!! Figs, apricots, spring water and lemonade infused with mint tea were always available for casual snacking! The late night cream sherry was a special treat as well!

AMENITIES (massage, bocce ball, dvds, Casablanca): We didn't partake of the massages for our first visit, but the guests who did, had only the highest recommendation, making us wish we had made a reservation. There is also a wonder land of enjoyment in the back yard with bocce ball, crochet, chess (2 feet chess pieces), not to mention a desert tent complete with yoga mats, Pilate balls and an exercise bike. It almost (I said almost) made me want to exercise. Instead we perused their DVD collection and watched Casablanca for the first time! So perfect for our time here

EATS: We did venture out into the town and enjoyed one dinner at South of the Board, great Mexican food, really strong drinks and great prices. The take-out Chinese food at Kam Lun was hot and plentiful (we ate leftovers for lunch). Enjoyed at great dinner at Spencer’s in Palm Springs (about 20 minutes away). Again, plentiful portions and the prix fixe 3 course meal was a great deal!

SOCIAL SOLITUDE In my opinion one of the greatest offerings at El Morocco would be the choice between solitude or being social. The inn with it's the personal touch of a bed and breakfast provides plenty of opportunity to meet fellow guests. We met several wonderful couples, swapping stories and laughs while relaxing by the pool or during happy hour, but then had our own individual time as a couple, with a feeling of complete isolation from the rest of the world.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: On a scale of 1 star to 5 stars, El Morocco is a 10 star! You can have the most beautiful setting but without customer service it will fall flat. El Morocco makes you feel completely resort pampered but with the comforts of home. Every request is met with a smile and "of course". The inn keepers we met had many recommendations for activities and dining. We took some of the dining recommendations and vegged the rest of time...lol

RECOMMENATION: DEFINITE!!! WITHOUT A DOUBT! WE WILL BE RETURNING!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We stayed upstairs which is a bit away from the pool - but t...
1 Thank GobClan
InnCollectors, Owner at El Morocco Inn & Day Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hi GobClan,
Wow! Thanks so much for your this kind review! We use all of these reviews to continue to provide the very best getaway for each and everyone of our guests and when we get it right, we pass these words of encouragement along to all of the staff (OK, so we're pretty small-but we try our hardest!) so again, thank-you for all of your positive encouragement! You have our word, we'll continue to do our very best!
Bruce and the Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We went for the day spa and each got The Moroccan Mystical Ritual. It was relaxing and the massage was quite good, however for the price point we were expecting more. The hotel is very charming (even though the surrounding town is not so nice), the mineral pool and jacuzzi were nice and the manager/owner was kind and offered us use of a hotel room for the day. All in all, a pleasant experience in itself, however they should not charge the price of a higher end spa when they really are a much more modest establishment, with modest amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zida75
Hi Zida75,
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback about your visit! Glad you loved your treatment, but we agree that we are a modest little inn (with just 12 rooms and Spa Studios). Since we really can't compete with the big box spas as far as size and scale, we tend to make up for it by offering the best in actual Spa treatments. Still, we've taken your note to heart! We've reduced our room rates for the summertime...so come and stay overnkight with us and see if you don't find us quite the bargain!
Auburn ca
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have stayed at El Morocco Inn and Spa several times over the past few years. Each and every time has been a wonderful experience with everything just perfect: Atmosphere, rooms, pool , spa, etc. The inn has a first rate staff led by Bruce, a guy who insures everyone has a great visit. We just couldn't ask for a better get-away and are looking forward to our next visit.

1 Thank Dan G
Hi Dan & T!
How fun to see you've posted a little note to us here on TripAdvisor! We really enjoy having you come and stay-and are genuinely glad you've found it to be a relaxing, rejuvenating experience each time you return. We keep working on things around here such as our Far Infrared Sauna (now we've set it so it's always on...you never have to wait for it to warm up!) and the Spa Garden even has an outdoor shower! Glad you told us you loved your Couples Moroccan Massage-it seems you two try a different treatment each time you visit...(next trip, try the Moroccan Rain Treatment-my personal favorite!)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Wonderful place where my husband and I spent our honeymoon. Very private and sensual. This was our 3rd visit and everytime it has been excellent. Service is attentive without being overbearing. The decor is authentic and a feast for the eyes. This place is for relaxing and exploring your senses. Play chess in the garden on the jumbo chess board, sit on the lounge chairs enjoying the healthy breakfasts, listen to the background music of sounds of Morocco and soak in the mineral hot tub or swim in the mineral pool. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geri M
Hi Geri J,

First, continued best wishes and congratulations! It was our pleasure to have you stay with us again (visit number #3) We know our inn isn't very big, but it's nice to hear you found our little getaway to be sensuous and romantic-and have had fun exploring the Spa garden...who won the Giant Chess game? Coming back for a rematch? Looking forward to your return!
Rancho Cordova, California, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Favorite things: warm mineral swimming pool, giant Jacuzzi pool swathed in fabric, and spa garden at night. Had a delightful time and thoroughly enjoyed the nightly complimentary Happy Hour! One night I sat quietly reading on my ipad while they brought me those yummy Moroccotinis and the other nights I sat at the bar and shared laughs with the other guests.

I found my room immaculate with interesting and authentic Moroccan furniture - loved those doors and lanterns - thought I had taken a magic carpet ride! Spa garden was fun with hammocks and at night it was another world. (Okay the hot spring pools were great at night, but that goes without saying.)

We will return soon!

Room Tip: Love the room with the kitchenette even though I didn't cook! I understand that none of the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi JoanJ,

Thank-you for this review! We continue to strive for great stays for all of our guests...and hope to see you again and again! The warm mineral spring-water swimming pool and Jacuzzi (open all night long!) are calling....come back and let's raise a "Morocco-tini" at happy hour to pure relaxation!
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My best friend was visiting Desert Hot Springs and I drove up to have dinner with her from San Diego. I met her at El Morocco where she was staying before ur dinner and thought it was so adorable and quaint that I would incorporate a trip there into my next "staycation." I am so SO happy I did. We hiked all day at Joshua Tree, and after arriving in the mid-afternoon filthy and exhausted, we were greeted by a super-friendly young lady who before even checking us in, gave us a full tour of the property. You don't get that at the Hilton's of the world. I was so impressed by all of thought that went into planning every single detail of this place. They have a full library of DVD's on loan, a delicious continental breakfast with fresh ground Starbucks French Press coffee, a "Morocco-tini" complimentary cocktail hour, complinmentary snacks around the clock, a pool that is the PERFECT temperature, hot tub, sauna, and a constant supply of the most delicious untreated water I have ever tasted. (SOOO refreshing after a day of hiking!) I genuinely wish we could've stayed longer. This family ran property is the definition of customer service and personal touch that I guarantee you will never get elsewhere. OH! And did I mention they offer a discount for military (a definite plus for us!) and if you mention you're a YELP user? They do, and it's awesome. I will be raving about this place to everyone. All of the other guests were also loyal to El Morocco and were all on their 4th plus stay there.

Hi Ray Clay...

Just wanted to say thank-you for this wonderful review of our services! As you already know, we are a small 12 room inn and so we are always thrilled when we hear we got it right. And...we agree it's a great place to retreat to (and relax in these magical mineral waters) after a day of hiking or sightseeing! We hope you'll keep coming back like the others you mentioned in your review!
monte carlo
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Went to El Morocco (EM) on a whim recently w the wife, and were let down by: an untidy slightly musty room with particles (apparently crumbs) on the floor, slightly soiled sheets; a cold pool which according to owner was so on account of a broken pool heater; kitschy movie set style of location decor, ie how westerners envisage Morocco (think 1001 Arabian Nights or Thief of Baghdad w Steve Reeves and you get the picture); a far too nosy/micro-managing on-site owner who lassos you at check-in and keeps hanging on (avoid "story-time" over "Moroccatini's"); and a valley-like location in the suburbs. EM is not worth the time or $, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank countjunuzi
InnCollectors, Owner at El Morocco Inn & Day Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear countjunuzi,

We've just received the coveted TRIPADVISOR Certificate of Excellence Award for 2013...so you can't imagine how disappointed we were to read your review.

We work tirelessly to provide every guest with a high quality escape from everyday life, and we take your input very seriously when you feel we've missed our mark. You can be certain we'll work more closely with our housekeepers to further insure a top notch room cleaning and to that end, we'll be inspecting each room a second time prior to our guests' arrival. We've also added a checklist so hopefully, we won't miss a thing..even crumbs!

You are right, our check-in tour is pretty detailed. We try to cover most things such as our spring-fed pools which are open around the clock, the Spa Garden with Hammocks and games like giant chess, the Kasbah Lounge with breakfast hours, etc. We're doing our best to be helpful.

Our nightly Happy Hour offering-where we serve "Morocco-tinis" (Iced, Sugar rimmed, Sake based Martinis) is a time where guests can sit around and chat-asking about Restaurant suggestions, Morocco, things to do like hiking in Joshua Tree, visiting the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, etc., but it's always optional.

We also serve our other guests directly in the pool or spa-and over at their chaise lounges-offering them their own private time to relax.

By the way, our natural mineral-spring water comes from our very own well and flows into both pools-our covered Jacuzzi Spa is at 104 degrees and we do cool the larger swimming pool down to about 89 degrees-which is still pretty nice for those silky midnight swims!

Always working for your best getaway,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desert Hot Springs
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#9 of 73 in Palm Springs
Tuscan Springs Hotel and Spa
Tuscan Springs Hotel and Spa
#10 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs

Been to El Morocco Inn & Day Spa? Share your experiences!