“Lovely, tranquil & sublime”
Review of Sagewater Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Sagewater Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Rafael, CA
“Lovely, tranquil & sublime”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Based on it's wonderful reviews, we recently chose the Sagewater Spa for a three night stay. So thankful we did, what a jewel! We arrived pretty wound up after 10 hours of freeway driving from the Bay Area (flight to LAX cancelled). Upon arrival, we soaked our cares away in the hot mineral pool. Our moods lifted, muscles relaxed, and we slept like babies in our comfy bed. This place is lovely, tranquil & sublime. We love it's smaller capacity (7 rooms) and quiet neighborhood. Cristina and Rhoni, who created this beautiful place, are so warm & gracious. It was a highlight to meet them and get to know them (and their sweet dog, Sage). They were so helpful with information on dining, shopping and spa services. Must mention the massages! We had 90 minute massages in our room, and they were the best we have ever experienced. And if you enjoy clairvoyant readings, I had a great reading in our room with a Clairvoyant Reader and Healer, which I found both enlightening and inspiring. To me, it rounded out my Spa experience. Our room was very quiet, with views from every window and such gorgeous light. The kitchen was darling and fully equipped, but for the most part we had meals in Palm Springs, and bought snacks from the grocery store for the room. Great fresh brewed coffee and along with the homemade coffee cake, perfection! Also enjoyed our chilled pitcher of crystal clear drinking water with organic lemons. So hard to leave, we would have liked to stay longer, and spend much more time in the pool. This beautiful Spa and it's owners met all our needs in a low key, gracious manner that we will never forget. We will be back for sure.

Sagewater1, Owner at Sagewater Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for your enthusiastic review! We loved meeting you both and look forward to your return visit, hopefully soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
NYC
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I had the pleasure of finally visiting the Sagewater Spa a few weeks ago after having heard rave reviews about it years ago from a close friend. My friend was right. Sagewater is a perfect little retro-modern oasis in the middle of Desert Hot Springs with fantastic thermal pools. The nice thing about the spa—and it's definitely worth noting—is its incredibly intimate feel. With only 7 rooms or so, you end up really feeling like family while staying there. Rhoni and Cristina are fabulous hostesses, always on hand to give you local reccos on dining or shopping and to make sure you have everything you need. And, yes, the coffeecake they give you upon arrival is like crack - sooo addictively delicious! I only stayed for 2 nights this time (solo) - so I didn't end up buying many groceries at all and never cooked. (There is no restaurant or bar on site - but every room has its own mini kitchen with cooking utensils, pans, etc. - and there is a large, common outdoor grill that guests can use, as well.) But if cooking isn't your thing, there are certainly restaurants in the immediate area - but for better dining options - you'd likely be better off hopping in the car and hitting Palm Springs. I found that you can be as private or as social as you'd like staying at the spa. Some guests kept completely to themselves, while others chit chatted in the pool and gave their own reccos on things to do in the area. I met some lovely people who gave me some great tips - so that was nice. Everyone who visits seems friendly and all share the common goal: to relax and bliss out under the sun and stars while soaking in the mineral rich waters. Having visited from NYC in the middle of a brutal winter, this was just the relaxing stay that I needed. Next time though, I think I will fly direct to Palm Springs - instead of dealing with the 2 1/2 hour drive in from LAX.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank jess2art
PorterHouse09, Owner at Sagewater Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Your review was so eloquent, all we can say is, "THANK YOU!"
Colorado, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I had the luxury of spending three nights at Sagewater, and we already miss the hospitality of Cristina and Rhoni and the relaxation that the inn invites. While simple, our room had everything we needed, and we found that our best time spent was outside by the hot springs pools, which we were the only swimmers for the majority of the time. When our friend wanted to visit us for the day to catch up (not to soak, just to sit and relax in the sun), he was welcomed like a guest, which we appreciated. We had such an enjoyable time getting to hang out with little Sage and the other guests as they meandered around. The sunsets and sunrises were breathtaking, from our room and the common area. Do spend the extra money for a personal massage in-room. It was well worth it. On Valentine's Day evening, we grilled and chilled, and it was perfect. If you are looking to escape the Palm Springs hoopla for a few days (which is totally close by car and easy to access), this treasure is well worth it! I concur with other reviewers that I had tears in my eyes when we were checking out. It also helped to have a native MA friend on grounds to remind me of my NE upbringing and family! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in #7 and loved it!!!
Bedminster, New Jersey
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I was hesitant to write this review. Not for any other reason than I want to keep this little gem all to ourselves! Maybe it was the serene atmosphere or the minimalist design of the rooms or the little touches of comfort that were almost unnoticeable, but yet incredibly perfect that made our stay a "best vacation ever". Chris and Ronnie (and Sage) made us feel at home in their lovely little hideaway in the hills of Desert Hot Springs. (Grandma B's coffee cake briefly drove me off the gluten free diet). The pool... ah the pool.....ah the pool. I'm back at home in the NE now and looking out our window at 16" of snow - ahhhh the pool. We enjoyed all of the things we normally love about being in the desert - hiking, birding, enjoying the desolation and beauty. Typically we might spend 15 minutes in a hotel pool. Not so here. Simply could not get enough of the hot springs refreshingly clean and warm, revitalizing, energizing, soothing waters. Even the winds were soothing to listen to during the night. The beds are very comfortable. Location is perfect - close enough to Joshua Tree and Whitewater Preserve for hiking & recreation and Palm Springs for nightlife. I'm not a terribly emotional type, but I actually got teary eyed saying goodbye to Chris & Ronnie. We are already planning our trip next year - please don't steal our room :)

Room Tip: only 7 - everyone is a winner.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Sagewater was perfect for me as a solo traveler. I had plenty of peaceful privacy and interesting conversations with other guests when I wanted to be social. The owners, Cristina and Rhoni, are perfect hosts. The rooms and common areas are clean and comfortable. The water in the pools is truly healing and relaxing. There is plenty of plenty of hiking and natural beauty in the area, too. Joshua Tree is just a short drive away. I will definitely stay there again and highly recommend Sagewater as a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I recently spent five relaxing and enjoyable days at The Sagewater Spa. As a frequent business traveler, I was looking for a vacation experience far beyond the tedium and impersonal approach of a hotel setting.
We chose the Sagewater based upon tripadvisor and website postings. We were NOT disappointed! We had a wonderful experience. Our hosts, Rhoni and Cristina were exceptional in personalized care, service and hospitality . Bringing an intimate touch to our stay. The surroundings were impeccable, and the small, intimate atmoshpere provided a perfect setting for relaxation, quiet conversation, with no pretense. During the day, we hiked, exercised, and returned to the warm comfort of the hot mineral spring pool and spa. enjoyed a cocktail and relaxed with the other guests. We look forward to our next stay and already miss the friendship of Cristina and Rhoni. They treat everyone like family! Regards, Steve Pabst

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Sagewater Spa offered so much to us but we cannot say enough about Cristina and Rhoni. They are wonderful hosts who made us feel right at home. Their little dog, Sage, would come up for pets and if we left our room door open, she would come in to say, "Hi." It helped alleviate our homesickness for our dogs. The rooms are clean and comfortably simple with kitchen facilities and an outdoor shared grill. You are close to fantastic places to hike and explore and only about 20 minutes from Palm Springs. The pool is open 24/7 and is very relaxing - you can choose warm or hot. The views of the mountains are beautiful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends